Tri Peachtree City
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 15m 29s
Overall Rank = 55/605+
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 12/67
Pre-race routine:

Woke up @ 4:20. Drove over and picked up JB around 5:00. Headed down to the race site and arrived around 5:45. Picked up packets, chips etc, then headed over to transition. Due to the shrinking daylight hours, it was dark for some time during transition setup. However, the area was lit perfectly.
Event warmup:

None. Tried to get in the water, but due to the ITU developmental race that started 20 minutes earlier than our sprint, they pulled everyone out. Mostly, just hung out with friends, met some new people, and we all just chatted and listened to race instructions. Also, a random triathlete got up and sang the National Anthem. That was very cool and he did a good job.
Swim
  • 11m 41s
  • 528 yards
  • 02m 13s / 100 yards
Comments:

So, usually two by two starts are spread out nicely and I prefer them. This race that was not the case. It was crowded from the word go. Got elbowed in the cheek, essentially broadsided a guy who was way off course, got kicked, and was in unpassable traffic a two spots. I was faster than the point I got in the water. I felt great out there and know I swam strong. You can tell these things when you start from essentially nothing. My sighting skills are perfect. I am very happy with them. Also, I used anti fog for the first time. I had no problems with fog. Imagine that.
What would you do differently?:

Start MUCH further up in this race. Not that I am fast, but I was better than where I started. I lost at least a min at two congestion points.
Transition 1
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

A good T1 for me. I went sockless again. I might do that from this point forward, depending on the running shoes I am wearing at the time. Whether they are broken in or not. Also, only up to oly distance. I would never chance that at 70.3 or above.

Nothing. Good T1... FINALLY.
Bike
  • 38m
  • 13.2 miles
  • 20.84 mile/hr
Comments:

I had a good bike. I beat Brett. Nuff Said. :) all kidding aside, I can get better here. I do minimal bike training. I am developing an off season strength and training plan.

Nothing. Train a little more. There was a no pass zone on the way into the finish. It was about a 1/4 mile long. I was behind some slow ITU developmental dork who was meandering like it was a ride in the park with his girlfriend. That got me a little heated. I almost took the penalty, but it probably would have been a negative. That no pass zone is too long.
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

Maybe my best T2 yet. I was actually thinking about what I had to do at mile 12 of the bike. I have not really done that before. I was prepared.

Nothing. Try to get faster. Transition was quite large due to the size of the field. My time was respectable.
Run
  • 23m 44s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

A good run, but I can get better. I enjoyed the course quite a bit. It was perfect as far as I am concerned. I don't do well on flat, so this was what just what I wanted.

Nothing. i enjoy chatting with the athletes as I pass them or get passed. In this race, I did more passing, but I never want to fail to say a bit of something good to all the participants. For me, that is just part of the fun. Although it might bother some people. Oh well.
Post race
Warm down:

Meet up with Jonathan who beat me by three min. Then waited for the rest of the crew. Next was JB, then Aldrin etc. We had 9 people out there from Get-Fit. All did a great job.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was / still am sick. I have a nasty head cold. I just kind of put it out of my mind for the race. Any longer of a race and I would have DNS'd it.

Event comments:

This is a keeper on the schedule. They do a good job here. Two points of irritation for me. The overly congested swim, and the do not pass zone at the end of the bike. Otherwise, this is easily the best run sprint that I have attended. Got a great shirt, a pair of Yankz (awesome) and a very cool medal. All very much appreciated.

Last updated: 2006-06-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:41 | 528 yards | 02m 13s / 100yards
Age Group: 26/67
Overall: 0/605+
Performance: Good
Suit: All Three Sports Tri suit.
Course: Rectangle, out to yellow bouy, right turn, over to yellow bouy, right turn, in to the finish.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:12
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:38:00 | 13.2 miles | 20.84 mile/hr
Age Group: 15/67
Wind: Little
Course: Hills. There was no flat. We were either climbing or descending. Nothing major, but nothing I would term easy either. A moderately difficult course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:54
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:44 | 03.1 miles | 07m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/67
Course: Great path course through a wooded area. Rolling hills, some cracks and bumps, but they were well marked by the race prep team.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-08-28 9:29 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: Tri Peachtree City Sprint

2006-08-28 9:41 AM
in reply to: #524036

User image

Queen BTich
Subject: RE: Tri Peachtree City Sprint

Great job Capt! Isn't that a smokin' bike course?

Congrats on a great time even though you've been sick.

2006-08-28 10:03 AM

Master
Charlotte, NC

Nice job, Ron!

Sounds like a fun race from your description.  Where about in Atlanta is it?  (I know... I can look it up...) But I have a cousin that I'm close with that lives in Grayson.  If its a reasonable drive, I could crash with him, make a vacation out of it, and have babysitters built in for the race next year! 

Glad to hear you chat on the runs.  I have yet to race, but I'd be the same way encouraging people and hoping to have others encourage me along the way.

Maybe for the next swim you should wear football gear to prevent bruising.

2006-08-28 11:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Congrats on a great race! Fortunately, I didn't have the swim congestion you did, not that it helped my times any. I can't believe I missed meeting so many BT-ers at this race.

If I don't see you at another race, good luck with your Moo IM training!

Craig
2006-08-28 11:03 AM

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA

Excellent race and race report! You kicked some butt on the bike. Imagine your averages next year when you do some heavier bike training! And a huge congrats on the run. In my opinion this is the first tri where your run time showed all the work you've been doing with your running over the last few years! Guess I'd better get some mileage under me so I even have a chance of beating you in a tri one day!   Hopefully you get over this cold and are 100% at Tugaloo --- you'll be awesome there!

2006-08-28 12:07 PM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

Great race - especially with a cold! If your bike is already that good with minimal training, you're going to be crazy fast when you start to focus more on that!

I agree that the swim was way too crowded, I like the plain ol' wave starts, so that you can see where the conjestion will be and plan around it. I also thought the no-passing zone was way too long - maybe they'll update that for next year.

It was great to see you at the race - thanks for the encouragement up the last hill - I still hate hills!

2006-08-28 4:17 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Nicely done!  your splits look oddly familiar ... just a little bit faster.

That guy who stood up to sing the National Anthem has some stones to stand before 700 of his closest friends to sing acapella ... and did a great job.

2006-08-28 7:53 PM

User image

Veteran
R: Thanks for sending me the results via text on Sunday. (was busy cutting up Lake Oconee water skiing )

I think your swim and T times have been the most fun to watch. Nice steady improvement all season. Very impressive.

I'll have to check out the bling next time we sync up. Congrats!

H.
2006-08-28 7:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Norcross, GA
Impressive performance!  Keep up the great work!
2006-08-28 9:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA
Awesome time!  great job!
2006-08-30 8:01 PM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
Great job! I'll be looking for a rematch at Emerald Point!! Maybe I can actually train between now and then.

2006-08-30 8:25 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
^^^Do I see a friendly rivalry brewing????
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri Peachtree City Sprint Rss Feed