General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprint or Olympic? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-07-11 5:57 PM

User image

Liverpool
Subject: Sprint or Olympic?
I need to make a decision.
I have signed up for a Sprint this Sunday, July 19. I have the option of moving up to the Oly at no additional cost.
I did a sprint just today, July 11. I am going to Nationals in August to do the Oly. If I stay with the sprint this Sunday, Nationals will be the only Oly I do this year.
I wonder if it would help me prepare for Nationals if I bump up to the Olympic, or if it's not worth the trouble.
I'm about ready to flip a coin to make a decision.
But I'm open to suggestions.

2015-07-11 6:39 PM
in reply to: mollypocket

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Subject: RE: Sprint or Olympic?
I'd do the Oly, seems like a good chance to gain some experience before your A race
2015-07-11 6:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Always good to get some new experience. Do the Oly.

2015-07-11 10:31 PM

Originally posted by mollypocket

I have signed up for a Sprint this Sunday, July 19. I have the option of moving up to the Oly at no additional cost.
I did a sprint just today, July 11. I am going to Nationals in August to do the Oly. If I stay with the sprint this Sunday, Nationals will be the only Oly I do this year.
I wonder if it would help me prepare for Nationals if I bump up to the Olympic, or if it's not worth the trouble.

With Nationals on the 8th, I would assume this coming week and next would be fairly important training weeks. I wouldn't do anything next weekend that might take away from that. The sprint could be decent speed work, but I'm not sure how the Olympic would fit in. I would also consider your current training volume. If you have enough volume in your legs that the Olympic won't impede on the next two weeks of training. . . then perhaps give it a flyer. But with your A race (assuming the Natl is) right around the corner, If it were me, I would be putting in two solid weeks of training and not doing anything that I think wouldn't build toward my best performance at Nationals.
2015-07-12 7:43 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Sprint makes more sense... nationals is the priority right... ? Not your first oly I assume.
2015-07-13 4:47 AM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

is your training ready for an Oly ? that would be my concern.

2015-07-13 9:03 AM
in reply to: ziggie204

Originally posted by ziggie204

With Nationals on the 8th, I would assume this coming week and next would be fairly important training weeks. I wouldn't do anything next weekend that might take away from that. The sprint could be decent speed work, but I'm not sure how the Olympic would fit in. I would also consider your current training volume. If you have enough volume in your legs that the Olympic won't impede on the next two weeks of training. . . then perhaps give it a flyer. But with your A race (assuming the Natl is) right around the corner, If it were me, I would be putting in two solid weeks of training and not doing anything that I think wouldn't build toward my best performance at Nationals.

If it were me, I would do the Oly. I would continue to follow my training plan, just plugging in the race on the 19th. Racing an Oly at that point would not hinder prep for Nats. The caveat being that you need to know your own training & body. That is the most important part of the equation. How will you react to an Oly at that point in your training cycle?
2015-07-13 6:20 PM
in reply to: #5128133

User image

Liverpool
I have done Olys (just not this year) and, yes, my training volume would allow for an Oly.
I had decided on the Oly last night, and then I woke up with major congestion. It could be the sprint after all.
The RD is giving me until Saturday to decide.
2015-07-13 6:39 PM

User image

Pro

There are actually a number of ways you can look at your race in Milwaukee....but I have no idea about your experience or what your goals are for the national race.  Will you be competitive in the Oly?  Is that important to you? (can you get a worlds spot or do you even care) Would you be better if you did the National sprint race?  You can switch if you wanted to.  I know that your qualification put you in the Oly race, but USAT would likely switch you to the sprint if you asked. (you won't get any money difference refunded)  Again, maybe you have no interest in doing the Sprint race.  Just giving you some ideas and things to think about  as you move forward.

2015-07-16 3:06 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Liverpool
I have decided to bump up to the Oly. This race is one of my favorites, so why rush things?
As for Nationals, I am there for the experience. I registered for both races because, what the hell? You only live once!
I am a middle-of-the-pack age grouper who does tris for fun. I love being competitive, but I don't live and die by these races.
We travel a lot around my bigger races, making a mini-vacation of things.
Thanks for everyone's input.
Onward to Sunday!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprint or Olympic? Rss Feed