General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My first DNF---can I finally call myself a triathlete? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-07-12 9:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: My first DNF---can I finally call myself a triathlete?
After five years of racing to accepted my first DNF today four miles into the bike.

A week ago I hurt my left wrist that affected the tendons, nerves, and soft tissue. Yesterday I could barley type. Today on the swim I felt every time I put pressure ony hand. Then on my bike my wrist just had it with my stubbornness. I ride a Tri bike and soon I couldn't brake, couldn't holds self up on the bars to climb, then I couldn't gety fingers to function on the gears. I STILL refused to quit. Finally the Tri gods stepped in. I braked to make a tight corner and my rear brake seized up.

So I had to take the walk of shame. But I'm determined to come back from this!!

2015-07-12 9:55 AM
in reply to: Hubbie

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: My first DNF---can I finally call myself a triathlete?

Oh no!  I hope a little time off to heal will take care of everything, and you'll still have some good time left to train and race this summer.

2015-07-12 3:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
If you have been racing for five years I am pretty sure you have been safe to call yourself a triathlete for quite a while now. As for the wrist, take some time and let it heal. Talk to your doctor about what exercise you can do.

I had a small fracture in my wrist a couple of years back. They put a removable cast on it and I could run with no issues and did a lot of stationary bike work. No need to brake or steer that way.

Let it heal up and get back on the horse. Good luck.

2015-07-16 5:41 PM

San Jose
You have had the right to call yourself a Triathlete for a few years now! Sorry to hear you had a problem with the wrist that brought this on.

I have been racing for about the same time and had my first DNF this year, result of a bee sting at mile12 of a long course race. After the sting I popped a Benadryl, then continued on until at mile 20 decided the really smart thing was to stop. It was very emotional to make the call, i felt like I was wimping out, and was all I could do to not start crying. Fortunately I had no other reaction from the sting (and I am allergic so had my epi-pen at the ready to!) afterwards, when the emotions subsided, I know I made the right choice, but it was still a hard pill to swallow. My family was very happy that I limited my stupidity by only going from mile 8 to mile 20, and not try to just tough it out for the rest of the 70.3 race. Turns out I was able to race the Olympic race the next day, and even though not a great race for me, did help soften the blow a bit.

Be confident in your choice(even if somewhat forced) to have stopped. Take the time to heal, and come back strong!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My first DNF---can I finally call myself a triathlete? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First ever DNF - and did to myself

Started by ckb_nc
Views: 901 Posts: 5

2012-04-29 12:28 PM RRH_88

Can I now call myself a triathlete?

Started by runningfree11
Views: 1595 Posts: 13

2011-03-21 9:56 AM AV842

I feel like when I call myself a "triathlete" people over-rate me

Started by agarose2000
Views: 1797 Posts: 13

2009-09-27 12:26 AM metafizx

First Tri -- First DNF

Started by feagajk
Views: 1436 Posts: 14

2005-08-22 1:39 PM Mottyl

Can I call myself a Triathlete?

Started by Debbie
Views: 1006 Posts: 9

2004-08-30 10:41 PM Debbie
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 7, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 3
Clearing my head after failing to finish

date : February 5, 2010
author : jswayland
comments : 7
On the day of the race my chain jumped off again and got wrapped so tightly around my crank that I couldn’t finish. I DNF'ed my first triathlon.
date : December 17, 2007
author : GloriaTouchet
comments : 2
As women, many times our identity is lost by all that we do and everyone that we take care of. In the end, I accomplished that and so much more. Along the way, I rejuvenated and redefined myself.

date : September 3, 2005
author : joeinco
comments : 6
As a triathlete, there is one acronym that you just can’t fathom ever having next to your name in a race report – DNF: DID NOT FINISH.
date : January 24, 2005
author : BrianPBN
comments : 0
As every veteran athlete can attest, a non-existent or ill planned ‘race meal plan’ will leave you falling far short of your goals or even worse, in the medical tent.