General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Male Body Shaving Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-07-16 8:50 AM

User image

Subject: Male Body Shaving
I already know this is a ridiculous question but that's part of why I like BT so much. I don't know any of you personally so I can only get so much flak for asking the questions I'd be too embarrassed to ask anyone in person! My "A" race is a couple weeks away and I'm thinking of trying the body shave for the 1st time. My question is, do you guys use hair clippers with no guard, use a razor, etc? Also, is this something that is done the night before in order to avoid stubble? I can only imagine having hair stubble all over my body can't be that comfortable on race day.

2015-07-16 9:15 AM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Exton, PA
Subject: RE: Male Body Shaving
If your are really hairy you may want to use clippers first.

I shaved for the first time in 30 years for my IM last month; make sure you start early It took a lot longer than I thought it would, and I'm not the hairy. I used only a razor but if I do it again I think I'll use clippers first. I don't think you have to worry about stubble if you do 24 to 48 hrs a head of time.
2015-07-16 9:15 AM

User image

I use clippers without a guard first and them go over it with a razor.  I can't really think of anything that could go wrong but perhaps you should do it now and then do it again a few days before your race just so you don't get any surprises.

Do not use clippers on your balls - razor only.  Sorry that's direct but it's not the sort of thing one should be ambiguous about!

It doesn't grow back on your body like it does on your face so the 'stubble' is much softer by comparison and isn't uncomfortable.

2015-07-16 9:37 AM
in reply to: Dan-L

User image

Durham, North Carolina
I would just warn you that if you shave too close to an ocean swim it will BURN! I would definitely not do the morning of and I'm not sure if the night before is better or not. I only shave my beard and I won't do that the day before personally.
2015-07-16 9:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Look at getting sugared (not waxed).  Not as painful.  It lasts about 5 weeks,

2015-07-16 10:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
Clipper then shave the first time. Do it a day or two before the race in case you cut yourself. Do yourself a favor and go buy a women's razor that is designed for leg shaving. I just discovered them after lots of cuts and nicks.

2015-07-16 10:34 AM
in reply to: GAUG3

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by GAUG3

Full body? 

Ahem. Carry on.

2015-07-16 10:42 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Ladies razors, sugar and some nicks on my legs. Better send the wife out of the house for a couple hours! Thanks for the comments and I'm glad I'm not the only crazy person doing crazy things for this sport
2015-07-16 11:04 AM
in reply to: Lupy

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by Lupy

I would just warn you that if you shave too close to an ocean swim it will BURN! I would definitely not do the morning of and I'm not sure if the night before is better or not. I only shave my beard and I won't do that the day before personally.

I shaved Saturday afternoon for a Sunday morning bay(salt water) swim. There was no burn, however if there is a little burn it will help get your adrenaline going which will make for a faster swim.
2015-07-16 11:25 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Definitely do it a couple days in advance. It's a pain the first time and will likely take a lot longer than you think. It will also give some of the razor burn time to heal. Clippers first, then razor. I keep mine shaved now just because it's easier to maintain it once a week than start all over.
2015-07-16 11:46 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by lisac957

Full body? 

Ahem. Carry on.

Heck no.  Legs only.

2015-07-16 1:15 PM
in reply to: GAUG3

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by lisac957

Full body? 

Ahem. Carry on.

Heck no.  Legs only.

thanks for giving me free time on you!

2015-07-16 1:30 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

I shave my face daily unless I'm in "beard mode."  I shave my legs during the season.  I can't speak for shaving other parts or other methods.  

If you haven't shaved your legs, you may need to do it a couple times the first week as you locate missed strips.  Yea...smooth skin except for that 1/2" hair stripe down the back of my calf...

First time, I use clippers to get most of the hair and a basic double-bladed (often ladies) razor.  After that, just the razor.  

2015-07-16 2:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Originally posted by Dan-L

I use clippers without a guard first and them go over it with a razor.  I can't really think of anything that could go wrong but perhaps you should do it now and then do it again a few days before your race just so you don't get any surprises.

Do not use clippers on your balls - razor only.  Sorry that's direct but it's not the sort of thing one should be ambiguous about!

It doesn't grow back on your body like it does on your face so the 'stubble' is much softer by comparison and isn't uncomfortable.

• ..scratching head...wonderin' how a smooth nutsack is gonna help ones race...

• Aaaand on a more serious note... cuz... 'my friend' wants to know - How are mens and ladies disposable razors different? Serious question, other than the pink vs blue???
    And, because I cannot imagine just how long a body shave would take, any suggestions for liquid or cream type products (and I do not mean beers for enduring the discomfort

2015-07-16 2:56 PM
    in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Katy, Texas
    Originally posted by triosaurus

• ..scratching head...wonderin' how a smooth nutsack is gonna help ones race...

• Aaaand on a more serious note... cuz... 'my friend' wants to know - How are mens and ladies disposable razors different? Serious question, other than the pink vs blue???
    And, because I cannot imagine just how long a body shave would take, any suggestions for liquid or cream type products (and I do not mean beers for enduring the discomfort

https://youtu.be/iz4TRX-k7vs
    2015-07-16 10:39 PM
    in reply to: 3mar

User image

Master
    St. Louis
    If you are going to do it, start now, a couple weeks out from your race so some of it will grow back by race day if you don't like it. I did it for one season and found some areas that seemed to need body glide that didn't before, like the hair made a natural lube.

Ditto what others said, the first shave took a while.

Some days my legs were smoother than my wife's legs. Insert man card joke here :-)

2015-07-17 4:12 AM
    in reply to: 3mar

User image

Originally posted by 3mar

...scratching head...wonderin' how a smooth nutsack is gonna help ones race... Aaaand on a more serious note... cuz... 'my friend' wants to know - How are mens and ladies disposable razors different? Serious question, other than the pink vs blue??? And, because I cannot imagine just how long a body shave would take, any suggestions for liquid or cream type products (and I do not mean beers for enduring the discomfort
    https://youtu.be/iz4TRX-k7vs

haha - I guess that's not just for racing but once the hairs gone from everywhere else is seems a bit scruffy to leave the boys with a beard.

And in Europe T1 and T2 are mixed full nudity change tents so I don't want to stand out from the crowd.  Which reminds me - I need to go and ask a question about IM Florida

2015-07-17 8:46 AM

User image

I shaved for the first time in 60 years this season. I used a body shaver and just ran it over my legs. It didn't do a perfect job but I don't need a perfect job because I'm just looking for aerodynamics, not beauty. I shave a couple of days before each race. I use small scissors around my privates for comfort, not aerodynamics. Otherwise I getting hair pulling during the bike.
    2015-07-17 9:26 AM

User image

Champion
    Brooklyn, NY
    I shave my legs during the season. I generally will use Nair the first time, which takes all the hair off and keeps it off for a couple of weeks. I haven't had any of the skin irritiation or other issues that some have had with Nair, but you should try it on a small area the first time you use it.

After that, I'll maintain it with a razor or clippers with no guard for the rest of the summer.

Regarding ladies' razors, since they're designed for legs, they tend to be wider and with more of that frictonless stuff that prevents nicks.

Ok, now, if you'll all excuse me, I have to go wrestle some aligators, replace the engine in my vintage Mustang, and impregnate a supermodel or two....
    2015-07-17 9:28 AM
    in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Champion
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Bronze member

How are mens and ladies disposable razors different? Serious question, other than the pink vs blue???  

Depends on the models, but ladies razors, in addition to being pink are designed for the mechanics of shaving legs (primarily) rather than faces.  It's hard to keep my hand as close to my legs (especially the back of my calf, knee, thigh) as I do to my face.  The ladies version allows a more "open" angle between razor handle and shaving surface.  

2015-07-17 9:36 AM
    in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Pro

Originally posted by McFuzz

How are mens and ladies disposable razors different? Serious question, other than the pink vs blue???  

Depends on the models, but ladies razors, in addition to being pink are designed for the mechanics of shaving legs (primarily) rather than faces.  It's hard to keep my hand as close to my legs (especially the back of my calf, knee, thigh) as I do to my face.  The ladies version allows a more "open" angle between razor handle and shaving surface.  

This must be why my wife steals my razor for her face.

2015-07-17 9:14 PM
    in reply to: Left Brain

User image

New user
    Green Bay, WI
    I just went through this a couple weeks ago for the first time. My wife got me some kind of nair product with a pump and a sponge. It worked awesome. You put it on, wait 10 minutes and wipe the hair off in the shower. Worked great. I shaved a few times since to stay clean but this stuff was way easier for longer hair. Also I would suggest doing it a week or two in advance. Then giving a closer shave the day or two before.
    2017-04-10 9:12 PM
    in reply to: #5129054

Male first time triathlon coming up. Planning on trishorts for race. Is there a real reason to shave my legs?
    2017-04-10 10:43 PM
    in reply to: adow527

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Maryland

you go faster

2017-04-11 9:54 AM
    in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Regular
    Originally posted by dmiller5

you go faster

eh, I've podiumed quite a few times, beating those with shaven legs, I never shaved my legs, and I'm Scottish so there is more then just a wee bit of hair there...

I feel that its a mental thing, you think shaved legs make you faster, so you push yourself more. just like guys that spend all day lifting shave their arms so their guns look bigger, just my $0.02
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Male Body Shaving Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Body shaving tip ....

Started by Graycat
    Views: 1152 Posts: 4

2010-08-08 5:29 PM dtjunkie

How Many People Wax Their Body Parts (opposed to shaving) Pages: 1 2

Started by ENP
    Views: 3178 Posts: 27

2009-11-04 9:15 AM newleaf

Why Do You Shave Your Legs? (Male) Pages: 1 2

Started by ENP
    Views: 2714 Posts: 30

2009-09-11 11:09 PM CoastTrash

full body shave? Pages: 1 2

Started by 650savag
    Views: 3618 Posts: 27

2008-08-11 9:05 PM thecaptin

Shave or not to shave? Pages: 1 2

Started by katfan97
    Views: 3316 Posts: 35

2004-06-05 7:52 PM rookie44
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : May 3, 2012
    author : leglube
    comments : 0
    Life and training are a lot easier without hair

date : July 28, 2008
    author : peteo
    comments : 4
    Honey, great news. I just spent our kids’ college fund on a new bike! The sales guy said it will shave at least 3 seconds off my 40K time. Umm, honey why do you have a knife in your hand???
    date : May 5, 2008
    author : marmadaddy
    comments : 26
    Men! Need to find out the best way to shave your legs? This video will compare 6 different leg shaving products to show male triathletes how to shave their legs.

date : June 21, 2006
    author : Ron
    Video on what body marking is all about during check-in.
    date : May 1, 2006
    author : Tri Swim Coach
    The one-arm drill. This drill will help you with body rotation, breathing, and pull. It also isolates one arm so you can really concentrate on what that arm is doing through the whole stroke cycle.

date : May 1, 2006
    author : mrakes1
    Far too many people are looking for quick body composition fixes, easy exercise programs and anything to keep their eating habits (and waistlines) under control.
    date : October 31, 2004
    author : ewkfit
    comments : 1
    I may not have pre-pubescent hips or breasts and at 36 that would be ridiculous. I do not need to have an "airbrushed body" and why do I revere that?

date : October 10, 2004
    author : FIN16
    comments : 1
    The human body can endure extreme physical hardships but a trained, confident mind can endure much more.