General Discussion Race Reports! » Jackson County Triathlon - Short Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Jackson County Triathlon - Short Course - TriathlonShort Course

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lee's Summit, Kansas
United States
Jackson County Triathlon
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 30m 20s
Overall Rank = 210/351
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 16/33
Pre-race routine:

Got up @ 5:15, packed up the car, ate a whole wheat bagel on the way to the course. We had to be checked in by 6:45 am (the longer course started at 7:00 am). Got body marked, picked up chip, went to watch the swim start for the long course as they had closed off the transition area temporarily while I was in line to get checked in.
Event warmup:

none... unless you count shivering by the lakeside and waiting 20 minutes in the drizzle for our wave to start. Made a new friend, though, so that's good.
Swim
  • 13m 16s
  • 483 meters
  • 02m 45s / 100 meters
Comments:

Overall, my swim was ok, except for the navigiation. I purposely started on the outside at the back, since this was my first open wave start and I didn't want to get mowed over. But I think this wasn't necessarily the best choice, becuase I kept drifting out to the side, away from the pack and the bouys. This happened for a lot of the course. The swim time also included the run up to the transition area, which probably took close to a minute (but don't know exactly- I forgot to use my watch AGAIN!).
What would you do differently?:

start more on the inside, as long as there's enough time for the pack to thin out a little before the first turn. SIGHT BETTER & more often!!!

Transition 1
  • 03m 14s
Comments:

Wow... I sure took my sweet time here... I had problems getting my left shoelace tied (I biked w/running shoes since I don't use clip pedals yet) and got a random sock thread stuck between by big toe & the next (ouch) so I had to take it off and start over. =( Also, took a few drinks of Powerade out of my Nalgene bottle, and it was in a hard-to-reach spot so that took some time.

so much.... get Yankz for my shoes... instead of drinking in transition, just take two bottles on the bike (or one bigger bottle)... make sure there are no "rouge threads" in my socks! =)
Bike
  • 45m 20s
  • 11.75 miles
  • 15.55 mile/hr
Comments:

The course was harder than I remember it from last week's training ride. I'm sure I was pushing myself a little more, but jeez... I really thought I'd get some adrenaline push, too. There were also more tough hills than I remembered. I think I averaged about 8 mph going up them- and I wasn't the only one! Of course, there were some people that flew by. My right upper quad is killing me today! (day after race) They also made us stop completely and walk across this one-way bridge with two wood planks over it... very odd. They said it was too slippery to ride across, and doing so was automatic DQ (they had an official there watching). Amazingly some people did ride across and got DQ'd. What were they thinking?

train more for hills... get clip pedals (next year). It had been drizzling all morning, and the regular pedals were slippery, so my feet kept sliding off. How aggravating! At least not having the pedals saved me a few seconds at the bridge crossing. (my silver lining) =)
Transition 2
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

This was only my second tri, but I can already see a pattern emerging... people don't care where they rack their bikes after the ride, and there is always one where mine's supposed to go. It's so annoying having to maneuver it into a tiny spot that someone else has taken over. I guess I'll just have to start riding faster and get there first! ;)

Finish drinking my Powerade on the bike and skip taking a drink during T2.
Run
  • 26m 58s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

I actually felt really good during the whole run, no problems adjusting to it from the bike. The worst part was that I stumbled a little on an uneven part of the trail and could've hurt my ankle, but luckily it was fine.

push a little harder... I had some energy left, but didn't think I'd meet my 1:30:00 goal, so I didn't push myself too hard. But I missed it by only 20 seconds, so it had been attainable. Oh well... I was still happy with my time.
Post race
Warm down:

did a little stretching, but not enough. Enjoyed some cold water (and gave some to the dog- she drank out of a paper cup- too cute) and had an apple. BF and I hung out a little and listed to the AG winners' times, then headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

not sighting enough on the swim, not enough hill training on the bike

Event comments:

Overall, a good race. Had a fun time!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-08-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:16 | 483 meters | 02m 45s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/33
Overall: 0/351
Performance: Average
Suit: speedo under tri shorts
Course: counter-clockwise rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:14
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:45:20 | 11.75 miles | 15.55 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: hilly loop course
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:32
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:26:58 | 03 miles | 08m 59s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: out and back on paved running trail
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-08-28 12:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Subject: Jackson County Triathlon - Short Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jackson County Triathlon - Short Course Rss Feed