General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Concussion Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-07-20 10:23 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: Concussion

My wife hit a full grown Bull Moose on Wednesday night.  It came through the passenger side windshield where I was seated and I ended up in the ER with a broken nose, fractured eye socket, broken nose, bruised solder, face lacerations, and concussion.  I was told with the concussion that I wouldn't be able to ride a bike or do any recreational sports for a while.  I was planning on doing the Redman 70.3 Triathlon in September but that now looks like a no go which is discouraging.  The Thursday before the wreck I did a 45 minute swim with my dad.  The Friday before I camped out with my 100 cousins/siblings/ nieces/nephews/aunts/uncles and a family reunion near Beaver Dam, UT.  On Saturday I did a Sprint Triathlon Relay with family.  My dad did the Swim.  He is not an athlete and it was his first triathlon and likely his last.  I twas very neat to do this relay with him.  My younger brother did the bike portion on bike and averaged close to 17 mph.  I am pretty sure I couldn't have do that well on a mount bike.  Especially since all he has done for fitness is running for the past year.  I did the run and was just a hair over breaking 18:00 flat in my 2nd consecutive 5k.  On Monday I did a 2 hour bike ride, on Tuesday I did an 8 mile run, and on Wednesday before the wreck I got in a 90 minute bike ride.  It is hard to believe that I am now side lined and will have to wait for a caregiver's clearance to even start walking for exerciser again.  Well...I have had set backs before.  Has anyone gone through a concussion before?  I feel great, but everyone is telling me I shouldn't be doing anything.  :-)

Edited by BlueBoy26 2015-07-20 10:25 AM

2015-07-20 10:44 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Concussion

Sorry to hear about your accident.  Hope you heal quickly.

Sounds like you've got some good folks looking after you..  I would suggest you listen to their advice and take it easy for few days until you are medically cleared.

Best wishes,

Mark

Edited by RedCorvette 2015-07-20 10:44 AM
2015-07-20 10:45 AM

User image

I'm sorry to hear about your accident and your injuries.

Your question is timely as I am just now on the other side of concussion recovery. I was in a relatively minor bike crash on May 25 and had no other physical injuries, but I did go over the handelbars and come down right on my forehead. There was no visible damage to my helmet, but it must have absorbed quite an impact. I didn't lose consciousness or throw up, so I didn't even realize I had had a concussion right away. I did have slight headaches and dizziness and my doctor agreed that it was likely a mild concussion, but I thought the symptoms would go away quickly. They didn't, and symptoms came back (sometimes more strongly) even as I tried to resume very gentle activity about a week later (walking, stationary bike). My doctor assured me that all concussions are different and there is no set timetable for recovery, so I learned to be patient with my brain and body. He gave me the "return to play" guidelines (he likes the ones from Hockey Canada the best, just said to substitute running/outdoor cycling for hockey) ) which I followed (but also learned that even that is not set in stone). I was very fortunate that I didn't have any cognitive issues (confusion, memory loss, etc.), but I was still quite surprised that my symptoms lingered from what I thought was a very minor crash.

I was only able to walk for about the first three weeks, after which I resumed some gentle stationary bike on an upright lifecycle-style gym bike. I couldn't use the spin bike at first because my heart rate would go too high. But very gradually I was able to add back more cycling, and then in the fifth week I started some gentle run/walk (starting with 1 minute walk/1 minute run). From there I was able to progress more quickly with running and cycling, and at 8 weeks post-concussion I was able to run my longest run of 5 miles. I have been also cycling outdoors, but only for pretty short commuting rides and errands.

I haven't been swimming yet-- the one time I started to try it, I got a dizzy feeling right away. Some people suggested water running which might have been a good recovery activity, but I really hate it. So I stuck to walking and stationary bike before I could run. I will try swimming again soon.

Anyway, bottom line is that there is no set timeline for you to know when you will be able to return to triathlon activities. You might be lucky and have symtoms go away quickly and be able to resume faster than I did. You will be back. Happy healing and recover well.

Edited by jennifer_runs 2015-07-20 10:50 AM
2015-07-20 11:57 AM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
I wouldn't give up on doing Redman yet. First all concussion's are different you might be back in 1-2 weeks. The doctor should clear you for activity once you don't have anymore symptoms. Even if you sit out longer it doesn't mean you can't do Redman it just means you need to adjust your goals. In 2012 I missed about 4 weeks of training due to medical problems about 2 months out from Redman. I still finished the race with no problem I just went into the race realizing I had to adjust my race goals to fit my current level of fitness.
2015-07-21 3:12 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by jennifer_runs I'm sorry to hear about your accident and your injuries. Your question is timely as I am just now on the other side of concussion recovery. I was in a relatively minor bike crash on May 25 and had no other physical injuries, but I did go over the handelbars and come down right on my forehead. There was no visible damage to my helmet, but it must have absorbed quite an impact. I didn't lose consciousness or throw up, so I didn't even realize I had had a concussion right away. I did have slight headaches and dizziness and my doctor agreed that it was likely a mild concussion, but I thought the symptoms would go away quickly. They didn't, and symptoms came back (sometimes more strongly) even as I tried to resume very gentle activity about a week later (walking, stationary bike). My doctor assured me that all concussions are different and there is no set timetable for recovery, so I learned to be patient with my brain and body. He gave me the "return to play" guidelines (he likes the ones from Hockey Canada the best, just said to substitute running/outdoor cycling for hockey) ) which I followed (but also learned that even that is not set in stone). I was very fortunate that I didn't have any cognitive issues (confusion, memory loss, etc.), but I was still quite surprised that my symptoms lingered from what I thought was a very minor crash. I was only able to walk for about the first three weeks, after which I resumed some gentle stationary bike on an upright lifecycle-style gym bike. I couldn't use the spin bike at first because my heart rate would go too high. But very gradually I was able to add back more cycling, and then in the fifth week I started some gentle run/walk (starting with 1 minute walk/1 minute run). From there I was able to progress more quickly with running and cycling, and at 8 weeks post-concussion I was able to run my longest run of 5 miles. I have been also cycling outdoors, but only for pretty short commuting rides and errands. I haven't been swimming yet-- the one time I started to try it, I got a dizzy feeling right away. Some people suggested water running which might have been a good recovery activity, but I really hate it. So I stuck to walking and stationary bike before I could run. I will try swimming again soon. Anyway, bottom line is that there is no set timeline for you to know when you will be able to return to triathlon activities. You might be lucky and have symtoms go away quickly and be able to resume faster than I did. You will be back. Happy healing and recover well.

Thanks for sharing your experience.  That is what I love about BT is that people share their experiences.  I did suffer memory loss.  I don't remember any of the accident even though witness say that I was running around like a mad man.  I also don't remember any of my trip to the ER or most of the ER.  Everything from the following morning on is crystal clear though.  I feel great for the most part, but did lose grip strength in my hands for a few days, did have the mild head ache for a few days, and did have sensitivity to light the first morning.  

Originally posted by EKH I wouldn't give up on doing Redman yet. First all concussion's are different you might be back in 1-2 weeks. The doctor should clear you for activity once you don't have anymore symptoms. Even if you sit out longer it doesn't mean you can't do Redman it just means you need to adjust your goals. In 2012 I missed about 4 weeks of training due to medical problems about 2 months out from Redman. I still finished the race with no problem I just went into the race realizing I had to adjust my race goals to fit my current level of fitness.

I was 20 hours from home and with our car wrecked so my return home was delayed 4 days.  I am home now and will have my first follow-up visit tomorrow. I am hoping I will be able to return to activity quickly, but don't want to over do things so looking for a different race to do next spring may be the best plan for the long term of things.  If I don't race I can take more photos of you at Redman to post all over BT though right? :-)

Edited by BlueBoy26 2015-07-21 3:14 PM
2015-07-21 6:26 PM
in reply to: #5129870

User image

Extreme Veteran
I was struck by a car while cycling and went over the handlebars. Concussion, lots of staples in head, sprains and stuff. My helmet cracked. I lost consciousness. It's just a black hole in my memory...about 3 hours of time. It took me 3 months to feel ok but 6 to feel completely normal. I had headaches and pain behind my eye forever. I worked with a neurologist and he assisted me in determining when it was appropriate to resume different activities. Lots of walking in the beginning. Oddly, the swim was the first tri activity I was able to return to first.

I'm sorry you are hurt. Listen to your doctors, rest, and heal. You'll be back at it when you're ready.

2015-07-21 7:09 PM

User image

Originally posted by jarvy01 Oddly, the swim was the first tri activity I was able to return to first.

I thought I'd be able to start swimming earlier. But my symptoms also came back after lying down for a while (had to try to sleep sitting up) so something about the lying down position made things worse for me. It could have just been changes in blood pressure-- I'm not sure. Similarly I couldn't use a spin bike for a while because it would put my head lower down. I love swimming but it's also the activity I miss the least right now, so I'm not in a rush to get back.

I'm glad you are doing better now. Sounds like quite the crash. In my case I didn't need a neurologist-- I'm lucky it wasn't worse.

Edited by jennifer_runs 2015-07-21 7:10 PM
2015-07-22 4:21 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by jarvy01 I was struck by a car while cycling and went over the handlebars. Concussion, lots of staples in head, sprains and stuff. My helmet cracked. I lost consciousness. It's just a black hole in my memory...about 3 hours of time. It took me 3 months to feel ok but 6 to feel completely normal. I had headaches and pain behind my eye forever. I worked with a neurologist and he assisted me in determining when it was appropriate to resume different activities. Lots of walking in the beginning. Oddly, the swim was the first tri activity I was able to return to first. I'm sorry you are hurt. Listen to your doctors, rest, and heal. You'll be back at it when you're ready.

Thanks!

Yes...I get the headaches and pain behind my eye.  Icing stops the headaches and eye pain but I know that doesn't mean I am cured.  I will see how things go. 

Originally posted by jennifer_runs
Originally posted by jarvy01 Oddly, the swim was the first tri activity I was able to return to first.
I thought I'd be able to start swimming earlier. But my symptoms also came back after lying down for a while (had to try to sleep sitting up) so something about the lying down position made things worse for me. It could have just been changes in blood pressure-- I'm not sure. Similarly I couldn't use a spin bike for a while because it would put my head lower down. I love swimming but it's also the activity I miss the least right now, so I'm not in a rush to get back. I'm glad you are doing better now. Sounds like quite the crash. In my case I didn't need a neurologist-- I'm lucky it wasn't worse.

Thanks again!  Good to know what things I may run into.

Edited by BlueBoy26 2015-07-22 4:23 PM
2015-07-24 10:55 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
We tend to see the same post over and over on BT as new people arrive and olders stop visiting. But I'm going to have to say that this is the first Triathlete vs Moose post ever. Congrats for breaking the cycle.

As for your actual question, do not play games with head trauma. Its not like a sprain where if you ignore doctors advice you'll just take longer to heal. You can do things that you will never be able to un-do.
2015-07-26 8:33 AM
in reply to: mikerunkle

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
How did the follow up visit with your doctor go?
2015-07-26 5:24 PM
in reply to: EKH

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by mikerunkle We tend to see the same post over and over on BT as new people arrive and olders stop visiting. But I'm going to have to say that this is the first Triathlete vs Moose post ever. Congrats for breaking the cycle. As for your actual question, do not play games with head trauma. Its not like a sprain where if you ignore doctors advice you'll just take longer to heal. You can do things that you will never be able to un-do.

Ya...to err on the side of safety seems to be the way to go.  I feel great by don't want to cut corners and regret doing more damage. 

Originally posted by EKH How did the follow up visit with your doctor go?

The follow up appointments in Tulsa this week went great.  The doctor said that I can use my own judgement to start back to activities when I feel ready (but only add back one activity at a time).  Officially for work he has sign a note that lists some limited physical activity for a week (i.e. not to carry anything over 50 lbs) but that after a week that there will be no doctor imposed limits (just self monitored limits and common scene of what I am and am not ready for).      

2015-07-26 8:35 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

The follow up appointments in Tulsa this week went great.  The doctor said that I can use my own judgement to start back to activities when I feel ready (but only add back one activity at a time).  Officially for work he has sign a note that lists some limited physical activity for a week (i.e. not to carry anything over 50 lbs) but that after a week that there will be no doctor imposed limits (just self monitored limits and common scene of what I am and am not ready for).      

Good to hear!

Remember when you are adding back activity that you could get symptoms reappearing after your workout, even if you feel ok during. When that happened to me I worried that I was setting back my recovery, but my doctor assured me that unless fairly bad headaches or disorientation start to come back they don't worry too much. He told me if it felt bad after a workout, to just take a rest day, wait till I felt better, and start back where I was before but just less intensity or duration. It's a bit of trial and error but it will improve. I remember a month ago wondering when I would feel back to normal, and even a couple weeks ago thinking that I couldn't wait till the symptoms were completely behind me. Now they are about 99%.
2015-07-27 8:39 AM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by jennifer_runs

Good to hear! Remember when you are adding back activity that you could get symptoms reappearing after your workout, even if you feel ok during. When that happened to me I worried that I was setting back my recovery, but my doctor assured me that unless fairly bad headaches or disorientation start to come back they don't worry too much. He told me if it felt bad after a workout, to just take a rest day, wait till I felt better, and start back where I was before but just less intensity or duration. It's a bit of trial and error but it will improve. I remember a month ago wondering when I would feel back to normal, and even a couple weeks ago thinking that I couldn't wait till the symptoms were completely behind me. Now they are about 99%.

You guys are the best. Thanks for all the insight.  You are truly lifesavers.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Concussion Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Concussion

Started by katan2212
Views: 897 Posts: 8

2014-01-26 10:11 AM drdking

Need advice on dealing with a concussion

Started by MacMadame
Views: 2946 Posts: 20

2012-04-12 8:40 PM NeilsWheel

Concussions

Started by bananatoes
Views: 717 Posts: 4

2011-06-18 3:59 AM Sprint_DA

Concussions?

Started by DXH
Views: 1077 Posts: 3

2011-03-27 7:27 AM AndrewMT

Dizziness & Concussion after wreck

Started by TriRSquared
Views: 7521 Posts: 11

2010-10-22 7:42 AM TriRSquared
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 10, 2014
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
A concussion is a complicated injury. Recovery can be several days to weeks. There are several things that you can do to minimize future or repeated risks of a concussion.