General Discussion Race Reports! » USAT Grand Prix Mideast Championships Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

USAT Grand Prix Mideast Championships - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Indianapolis, Indiana
United States
Mideast Regional Federation Board of Directors
Total Time = 2h 42m 23s
Overall Rank = 204/354
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 34/
Pre-race routine:

Rolled into Indy and we missed the three hr window for packet pickup. The alarm sounded at 4am chicago time and it had rained all night but it wasn't raining in the morning! YES!
Event warmup:

Arrived at pickup at 6am and set up transition. I found a bathroom that no one knew about! HA! Did my swim warm up of 150yds or so..then told people standing in line about the super secret bathroom...

My goals: Sub 26 min swim, 1:20 bike, and Sub 55 min run
Swim
  • 25m 56s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

Wave 1 as per usual. I tend to drift left when swimming so I started in the front row all the way to the right. Boom we're off. After 500 yds I was right in line where I should be. This was a fast group, the lead swimming went 18 mins. Struggled with my breathing into the first turn and then found a good rhythm and swim right next to a guy the entire way in...I popped out of the water and my watch said: 25:40...YES! I ran up the beach and hit the timing mat at 25:56 just under my goal time of Sub 26.
What would you do differently?:

This was a no wetsuit race so I was happing. I have some right arm issues I need to work out. I think Sub 24 mins is very possible without a wetsuit. I just have no finish with my right arm (I'm left handed)
Transition 1
  • 02m 13s
Comments:

I had a Transition hog that put all his stuff with mine! WTF!!!!!!
I was pissed.
Bike
  • 1h 21m 8s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.38 mile/hr
Comments:

oh yes the bike where my swim lead goes to die. I'm riding along at a good clip and I'm screaming down a hill and I decided to switch to the small ring at the bottom as a big uphill is coming and then I hear it...cling cling. F!!! I dropped my chain 30 yds up a big hill. I'm off the bike and flip over my bike (dumping all my profile bottle water out) and I'm fixing my chain..probably cost me 1-2 mins and now I have Tri war paint all over myself. The rest of the ride was uneventful. I passed 1 person at that was it...who then passed me back as I was fixing my chain. Came back into the state park and thought we were done! I was flying...opps another couple of miles. I missed my goal of sub 1:20 bike because of the dropped chain...oh well.

Not drop my chain.
Transition 2
  • 03m 2s
Comments:

I might need to apply as a partial resident of Indiana...I was almost the slowest T2 in the race. Mainly cause of that transition hog.
Run
  • 50m 2s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Flying out of T2 you head straight up a hill (of course you do) and the out is mostly flat with some uphills. I get passed, I mean blown out of the water by a 15 year old kid (WTF). He had to be running high 6's. I'm starting to pass runners and at the turnaround I feel great. I'm cooking now and with the slight downhills I'm flying. A group of the tri-club members are at the last turn hollering at me to catch the person in front of me (also a member of the club - she was in the next wave though so really she beat me) the last downhill I'm in full sprint mode for 300 yds....Beat my goal time of Sub 55 by 5 mins!

Not a thing. I'll need to wear socks for anything over 10K as hot spots were starting to form.
Post race
Warm down:

Sat through the awards presentation as a few members won some hardware.

Event comments:

Great race. Tons of penalties handed out and I didn't see any drafting. This was the club championship and we just didn't have enough member because its the same day as Accenture.

This was such a strong field my swim time was barely top 1/3 overall and my run was right at the 1/2 mark. My bike time was hmmm, lets just say not top half. lol.

Last updated: 2006-07-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:56 | 1640 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/354
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Horseshoe
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:13
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:21:08 | 24.85 miles | 18.38 mile/hr
Overall: 283/354
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:02
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:50:02 | 06.21 miles | 08m 04s  min/mile
Overall: 175/354
Performance: Good
Course: out and back
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-08-28 1:29 PM

User image

over a barrier
Subject: USAT Grand Prix Mideast Championships

2006-08-28 9:07 PM
in reply to: #524442

Regular
Noblesville, Indiana
Subject: RE: USAT Grand Prix Mideast Championships
Hayes great job!!!! I wish I were there even if it had been just to cheer you on!  We ran 11 miles in morning and I got out of church and was going to head out to Eagle Creek but my wife told me I had to be back for a gymnastics recital by noon and that only left me about an hour and 45 minutes to get up there and back. sorry...next time.  Fantastic job..don't you love that the transition area is at the bottom of a hill and you have to go up the hill on your bike and then on your run...how were the roads?  Was the transition area safe?  Last time I did a triathlon at Eagle Creek there was a big wreck in the transition area because some idiot was going to fast ..Hayes Congrats to you and I look forward to seeing you some time next year...or even the Chicago Marathon.  There are 4 of us in my running group in the Marathon.  Talk to you later--Keep up the great work!
2006-08-29 6:27 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member
Nice race!  Met all your goals with a little wiggle room even (I'm mentally subtracting out the 2 minutes for the chain mishap on the bike).  And your run - WOW.  Wish I had it in me to pull an 8 m/m pace for an Oly distance run.
2006-08-30 9:43 AM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

Hey buddy, nice race!  Congrats on dealing with the adversity.  A lot can happen in an OLY, as I've recently learned.   

2006-08-30 10:02 AM
in reply to: #526625

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
Great race, Hayes!  You have LOTS to be proud of.  Thank goodness the weather was better than at Lifetime. 
2006-09-01 9:07 PM

User image

Regular
Central Illinois

Great race and totally killer swim.  Funny, I'm right handed and pull to my left.  Since I'm such a chicken I start on the left to stay out of the way.

Bummer on the bike. 

That kid was flying.  I hate being passed by a 15 year old like I was standing still.

Good luck on the HIM.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » USAT Grand Prix Mideast Championships Rss Feed