Tri Harder Promotions
103F / 39C
Sunny
Total Time = 8h 00m 17s
Overall Rank = 171/176
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 19/19
Pre-race routine:

Up early. Had cup of coffee, granola bar and applesauce for breakfast. Drove from hotel to race site. Set up transition and ran back to car to grab wetsuit.
Event warmup:

Warm up swim of approximately 200-300 yards. Water was warm but felt good.
Swim
  • 50m 33s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

Water was warm but wore wetsuit anyway. Most of my training in open water this year has been in a wetsuit and figured I wouldn't be competing for awards anyway. Water was extremely choppy due to incoming storm. Caught several mouthfuls of water but never got nervous or anxious. Felt like waves pushed me off course several times.
What would you do differently?:

Need better swim technique and efficiency. Feel like I was so much better of a swimmer last year. Feel like I have lost my technique and some speed from last year. Need to work over the wintertime on getting that back and strengthening my kick which is non existent.
Transition 1
  • 05m 48s
Comments:

Don't remember much of T1 except I know I took my time. Peeled off wetsuit. put on socks and shoes. Put tri top on. Had trouble getting aero helmet buckled. Put on chamois butter. Everything I wanted to do.

Speed things up. May swim next time wearing my tri top so I don't have to put it on in transition.
Bike
  • 3h 17m
  • 56 miles
  • 17.06 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt like I had a strong bike going up until mile 38-40. Started to rain around mile 12 and rained pretty hard for awhile but felt pretty good considering the humidity. Also noticed a pain in my left knee but that seemed to subside pretty quickly. Grabbed a water bottle around mile 35 and the water tasted awesome. Realized at this point that I was probably dehydrated with the humidity and had only been using infinit. Really started to fall apart around mile 45. By the end of the bike felt horrible and exhausted. Things seemed to fall apart really quickly.

Where do I start...more solid nutrition on the bike. More water and less liquid nutrition. Probably don't need to push the bike to an 18 mph average or else I wont have a chance at a solid run.
Transition 2
  • 05m 42s
Comments:

Came off the bike feeling tired and sore. Could barely walk from the pain in the outside of my left foot. Felt spent and was facing a half marathon. Was still a bit overcast at this point but was extremely humid. Felt so horrible that I was actually considering turning in my chip and calling it a day but went out on the run course anyway.
Run
  • 3h 41m 12s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 16m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

What can I say? This was absolutely the toughest half marathon I have ever had to get thru. The first 4 miles my left foot was killing me. Every time I would attempt to run my stomach felt upset. The first mile and ran/walked in 10:30 and actually felt like I might be ok. From then on it became mostly a walk and by the time I hit mile 3 it was a complete walk with no hope of running. Met up with Tony Kerr around mile 1.5 I believe and he walked with me for awhile. I was so spent at that point I couldn't even keep up his walk pace. At the mile 11 aid station I remember stopping and getting an ice cold towel for my head and neck and remember putting my hands on my knees and almost blacking out. By mile 12 I was no longer really walking it was more like a stumble. I came across the Lindsay bridge and could see the finish line but still could not muster up enough energy to run. Finally the last 100 yards I was able to jog and barely jogged across the finish line simply because I have never walked across a finish line.

Probably should have stopped after the bike. Foolish pride took over along with stupidity.
Post race
Warm down:

After stumbling across the finish line I headed into the beach house in the cool down area and slumped down in a chair. Must have looked like death because I had several volunteers ask if I was ok or if they could get me anything. After sitting for a bit got up and walked back across the street and loaded my stuff from transition.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Several excuses. Weather, nutrition, lack of a clear purpose for actually doing the race, pushed too hard too early.

Event comments:

Race course, venue, organization and everything associated with race was great. This was my worst performance since Pigman. Several factors played into this but bottom line was that I didn't have a great pre race plan and I didn't execute any type of a plan. Really need to refocus and get ready for Pigman in 3 weeks.

Last updated: 2015-07-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:50:33 | 2112 yards | 02m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 15/19
Overall: 0/176
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterrra Vortex Sleeveless
Course: Out and back swim. Diamond shaped course.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:48
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:17:00 | 56 miles | 17.06 mile/hr
Age Group: 15/19
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: One out and back. One loop around Lake Sangchris. Really a nice bike course. Mostly flat. Only one section around mile 35-40 with loose gravel.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 05:42
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
03:41:12 | 13.1 miles | 16m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 17/19
Performance: Bad
Course: Several out and backs. Several rolling hills but nothing steep or scary. Actually a very nice run course. Several areas that were very shaded but also areas that were totally exposed.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-07-27 10:04 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Route 66 Half Iron Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Route 66 Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Route 66 Half Iron Distance Triathlon

Started by uerkwbl
Views: 886 Posts: 1

2014-07-30 11:00 AM uerkwbl

Route 66 Half Iron Distance Triathlon

Started by Gmax101098
Views: 1238 Posts: 1

2013-07-31 8:37 AM Gmax101098

Tulsa Route 66 Marathon and Half (Run - Half Marathon)

Started by dimplespoo
Views: 3056 Posts: 2

2010-12-09 8:51 PM colesdad

Tulsa Route 66 Marathon and Half (Run - Half Marathon)

Started by DMann1
Views: 2204 Posts: 1

2009-11-24 8:59 AM DMann1

Tulsa Route 66 Marathon and Half (Run - Half Marat

Started by JA Pryse
Views: 1565 Posts: 1

2009-11-23 8:03 AM JA Pryse
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 20, 2014
author : leighdodd
comments : 0
My issue is that I am currently deployed and training outside is proving difficult, especially on the bike. I have found a safe 10km running loop but I am struggling with the bike training.

date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.
date : September 4, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Coach AJ reviews the Reynolds SDV 66 Racing Wheel and the PowerTap 2.4 SL Wireless Power Meter.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : May 8, 2007
author : Ron
Lots of updates in this version! Map your routes and elevation profiles of single sport workouts, bricks and races! Directly integrates into BT's training log to assign routes to workouts.

date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.