General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike shorts or tri shorts for IM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-08-28 4:53 PM

User image

Regular
Madison, WI USA
Subject: Bike shorts or tri shorts for IM
Hey IM veterans. This has probably already been covered but been thinking about it since I am now under 2 weeks from my first IM. Do most wear tri shorts or bike shorts for IM? I have been training with bib shorts which is what I usually wear for biking but did my half race with the tri shorts and it was not a problem. Is it worth it to give up a little time changing? I think the tri saddle I have might even have a little more padding than the normal bike seat I use. What are you going to do? Thanks.

2006-08-28 5:02 PM
in reply to: #524815

User image

Queen BTich
Subject: RE: Bike shorts or tri shorts for IM

zaboo - 2006-08-28 4:53 PM Hey IM veterans. This has probably already been covered but been thinking about it since I am now under 2 weeks from my first IM. Do most wear tri shorts or bike shorts for IM? I have been training with bib shorts which is what I usually wear for biking but did my half race with the tri shorts and it was not a problem. Is it worth it to give up a little time changing? I think the tri saddle I have might even have a little more padding than the normal bike seat I use. What are you going to do? Thanks.

I wore bike shorts but next time I'm going with tri shorts, as I rarely wear my bike shorts anymore.

1. Wear what you're most comfortable in.

2. An extra 20-40 seconds can save you from pain later on. Don't worry about the the time.

3. Why are you going to change saddles right before the race? Do you do this regularly? Why not use the saddle you train on?

Here is something to think about: tri shorts + a saddle cover.
http://www.all3sports.com/product_info.php?pName=quintana-roo-mr-flitie-saddle-cover

2006-08-28 5:19 PM
in reply to: #524826

User image

Regular
Madison, WI USA
Thanks for the info. I prefer to run in tri shorts than running shorts so was thinking of just going with the tri shorts from the start. I bought a nice pair of bike shorts but have been "over thinking" and have been wondering if maybe they are a little too nice and might have a bit too much padding for my tri saddle (as opposed to to my bike saddle on my road bike, I think I was not clear but am not changing saddles, have been riding my tri bike, tri saddle all summer and this is what I am going with on race day). I believe I read some post, story someplace that got me to thinking these shorts might be a bit too padded. I have been trying different ones on my training rides and know the ones I don't want and am now trying to decide on the what I do want. Thanks for the input.
2006-08-28 5:23 PM

User image

Queen BTich

Well, go for the tri shorts then. In a perfect world you would have asked yourself this question about a month ago and that would have been enough time to get your butt used to the thinner padding.

Most likely, the pain in down there will just be another to add on to the list by the time it actually does start to bother you and you'll be almost done with the bike anyway.

2006-08-28 5:35 PM

User image

Regular
Madison, WI USA
I hear you about the perfect world and know that is what I should have done. I'm pretty used to long rides and you are correct, it will probably just something to add to the list of pains.

BTW, what are you wearing in your avatar?
2006-08-28 7:08 PM
in reply to: #524858

User image

Queen BTich

zaboo - 2006-08-28 5:35 PM
I hear you about the perfect world and know that is what I should have done. I'm pretty used to long rides and you are correct, it will probably just something to add to the list of pains. BTW, what are you wearing in your avatar?

I hope it goes well and you might want to stash a zip lock bag of Aquaphor (like vaseline) in your special needs bag just in case you chafe or get saddle sores.

Its a tube you wear/ride when you get pulled behind a boat. We were using it in a pool:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?albumid=3186

2006-08-29 10:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Davidson, NC

I'm trying to make the same decision for IMFL.  The only time I've worn tri shorts before is in a race and bike shorts the rest of the time.  So a couple of weeks ago I did 100+ in my tri shorts to see how it would be.  It may not have been like riding on air, but it wasn't bad so I'm going to wear them to race in.  I'm not concerned so much with the time saved.  I think of it is one less thing to think about on race day.  (Being that I always race in my tri shorts, it's not far fetched to imagine leaving T1 and forgetting to change shorts.  If I wasn't prepared for that, I'd probably not be happy.)  I plan to cut off some chunks of body glide and put them in both of my needs bags to help with any chafing.

All that being said, my rear was still a little tender for my next ride, so I'm going to leave tri shorts to be used every other weekend.

Tommy

2006-08-29 11:04 AM
in reply to: #525685

User image

Regular
Madison, WI USA
That is a great idea about the Body Glide. I was just thinking about how much I will need to buy and I heard you may not get your special needs bags back. This will save me some money for sure. That is probably a good point about leaving transition. Not a time to go streaking!
Good luck with IMFL!
2006-08-29 6:29 PM

Master
portland, or
Personally I wear tri shorts for the whole day, but I prefer riding my tri bike with tri shorts. I find bike shorts to be too bulky when in the aero position.

The bottom line, do what's most comfortable for you. Two weeks out is not the best time to be thinking about making changes to your routine, since you're probably not going to be doing another 100 mile ride before race day.

scott
2006-09-01 9:49 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Tri shorts are great to run in... I use the OOPMH Lava.... And THEY ROCKED!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike shorts or tri shorts for IM Rss Feed