General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chafing on long bike rides Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-07-30 7:25 AM

User image

Edmond, Oklahoma
Subject: Chafing on long bike rides
I am training for a full triathlon. I am chafing on long bike rides. I am fine to about 60 miles but struggle with chafing after that distance.

The cause appears to be being in the aero position. I have not chaffed in the past when I ride my road bike and am not in the aero position for extended periods of time. I am riding a road bike. The seat post was replaced to move me closer to the handle bars and make the aero position easier to maintain for a long race.

I have changed bike seats, used a gel cover on the seat, changed the tilt of the seat, changed tri shorts, wore my bike shorts, used vaseline and tried body glide. The chafing is on the inside of the thighs in the crotch area. The event is late Sep. I am open to any sugestions. I need to figure this out pretty quickly.

2015-07-30 7:35 AM
in reply to: lake

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Chafing on long bike rides

You're only wearing tri shorts or bike shorts without any underwear or anything else underneath, right?  Extra layers (and things like gel covers & padded seats) usually make chaffing worse.

When you used the Vaseline, did you put it on both your skin and your shorts, and apply it VERY liberally?  It should almost be like icing on a cake.

2015-07-30 7:40 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Edmond, Oklahoma
I am not wearing any layers with ri shorts or bike shorts I have put the vaseline on the skin and chamois. I would say I applied it liberally but I can try using more
2015-07-30 8:03 AM
in reply to: #5132009

I had a similar issue and found that applying butt butter cream every hour and s half helped a lot. The key for me was constantly reapplying and not trying to play catch up after an issue starts.
2015-07-30 8:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
I'm not sure I would use Vaseline. Try a few different tri/cycle-specific skin lubricants, such as Chamois Butt'r, DZ Nuts, TriSlide, etc. I do find that I need to be generous with the application.

I like Body Glide for running but I find I can't really get it where I need it for a bike ride.

2015-07-30 11:22 AM
in reply to: Miles around Midtown

User image

Edmond, Oklahoma
I will try the ideas and products. Thanks to everyone for responding

2015-07-30 11:31 AM

as was eluded to earlier, I would suggest getting rid of the gel seat pad. Those things have a tendency to make chaffing and actually bike comfort worse over longer rides.
2015-07-30 12:14 PM
in reply to: mclousing

User image

Edmond, Oklahoma
I won't use it any more. Thanks
2015-07-30 12:28 PM

User image

SOUTH WINDSOR, Connecticut

I am suffering from the same, both on a road bike and it has gotten worse with a tri bike (Just purchased last week). Part of this is my stupidity. Went on a long bike on Saturday of 60 miles (second ride on tri bike) and did not use enough chamois buttrr.  Tuesday did a short ride (one hour) and only wore underwear (big mistake) in lieu of riding / tri shorts. This was disastrous...

To "fix" the area I have been using Bag Balm - working great to heal it up. Apply liberally 3 - 4 times a day. Has healed nicely in the past 2 days.

Tonight is a sprint tri (~10 mile bike) will see how it goes.. Will be generous with the buttr.

-Dennis

2015-07-30 1:43 PM
in reply to: Dennis B

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Originally posted by Dennis B

Tuesday did a short ride (one hour) and only wore underwear (big mistake) in lieu of riding / tri shorts.

Time out: You went for a ride in your tighty-whities?
2015-07-30 1:55 PM
in reply to: Miles around Midtown

User image

Fairfax, VA
Bronze member

Originally posted by Miles around Midtown
Originally posted by Dennis B Tuesday did a short ride (one hour) and only wore underwear (big mistake) in lieu of riding / tri shorts.

That's how I read it also!  

2015-07-30 2:19 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
most likely the chafing is due to a wide area on the seat.

This could be a seat adjustment issue, or the seat itself is too wide when you get down in aero.

For example, I use an Adamo Prologue saddle. The spread is a bit wide stock, so I pull the nose together with zip ties.
No rubbing = no chafing on the thighs

The older "road" model was way too wide and I actually rubbed off the seat covering from long training/racing.

So just a thought to consider.
2015-07-30 2:34 PM
in reply to: jenstewey

User image

SOUTH WINDSOR, Connecticut

Originally posted by jenstewey

Originally posted by Miles around Midtown
Originally posted by Dennis B Tuesday did a short ride (one hour) and only wore underwear (big mistake) in lieu of riding / tri shorts.

That's how I read it also!  

under regular shorts...  yes...  Re-reading I can see I could have been more specific.. lol...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chafing on long bike rides Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

How long are your long training rides?

Started by odpaul7
Views: 2084 Posts: 12

2012-12-27 9:40 AM dmiller5

Scheduling long rides and long runs

Started by ingleshteechur
Views: 1919 Posts: 23

2010-06-21 2:37 PM Karibu

How long should, long training ride be for HIM

Started by bostonredsox
Views: 807 Posts: 1

2010-06-05 6:19 PM bostonredsox

Tri or Rode Bike during long rides

Started by onefastswimmer8
Views: 2974 Posts: 5

2008-01-28 6:12 PM sty

Taper and a long bike ride?

Started by CptnJackSparrow
Views: 730 Posts: 6

2004-09-13 10:24 AM the bear
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
comments : 0
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : January 8, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
I am in the market for a new road bike, at several local bike stores I will test ride several bikes. Other than basic fit and components, how should I compare them while doing a test ride?
date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?

date : November 12, 2008
author : AMSSM
On the long bike rides of 80+ miles I get very strong pain in my toes. I slow down my pace and I might recover, but when I hit the next hill it is back. Could this be some kind of circulation issue?
date : November 3, 2008
author : AMSSM
While not the most pleasant topic, saddles sores are a common phenomenon within the cycling community. Learn what causes saddle sores and how to prevent them from occurring.

date : July 8, 2008
author : Writebrained
comments : 10
Riding Zen means nothing more than being keenly aware of your surroundings and in control of your emotional state at all times. It also means riding safe and riding smart.
date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.

date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.