General Discussion Triathlon Talk » dumb things you have done Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-07 6:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Subject: dumb things you have done
Yes I have arrived at the pool with out goggles, heck I even arrived at my first HIM without goggles!

Yesterday I bought a new bike, a nice fancy (for me) mountain bike to replace a Klein hardtail I got 15 years ago. Eager to take it out for its first spin I went to a trail that involved me driving there. No big deal as the bike was already on the roof of the car from bringing it home. I had a fun ride and almost felt like I was cheating due to the 29inch wheels, full suspension and disk brakes. 2 foot drops, skinnies, nasty roots, rocks and sand all handled with aplomb It really was a great time, I love the bike.

I carefully took off the front wheel and loaded the bike up onto the roof rack, took off my gear and pulled away satisfied in the new bike and what it might mean for my next Xterra triathlon in just a few short weeks.

I left the front wheel in the commuter parking lot! I discovered this when I got home (20min away) I high tailed it back but it was no where to be seen. When I left there was only 1 car there and when I returned it was gone. I put up a craigslist "lost and found ad" and put up some posters in the lot offering a reward for its return. I mean what is a person going to do with a lone mountain bike wheel????

I will update my wheel saga as it unfolds

SO what dumb things have you done??

Edited by DaveL 2015-08-07 6:28 AM

2015-08-07 7:06 AM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: dumb things you have done
Nothing to compare to that, but my life is greatly complicated by the fact that I work outside the US. It's pretty common for me to depart for Vietnam without some crucial item that is not so easily replaced. I have two sets of most of my bike tools and spare parts, but somehow I always seem to end up with two of one tool on one side of the Pacific, and none of another tool on the other side. Last year I managed to leave the US without any running socks and only one bike jersey, although I'd planned a two-week bike tour at break.

As far as training, getting stuck in a fishing net while doing an OWS in Vietnam is pretty high up the list. It wasn't life-threatening, but the fisherman was pretty pissed off and I was laughing so hard I had trouble extricating myself from it! Then there was the time I somehow lost my pants at a race in Singapore. (They have public restrooms on the beach where you can shower and change after the race, and when I got out of the shower, my pants had disappeared, so I had to wear a wet tri-suit on the subway back to the hotel. Theft is almost non-existent there so guessing it was a case of mistaken identity. Not sure it was my own stupidity for leaving clothes unattended while I showered (everyone else did too), but definitely somebody's stupidity. How can you not notice you're wearing someone else's PANTS??

Okay...have thought of one more. Not the first time I have admitted to it. I was chasing down people in front of me at the end of a sprint tri and I managed to run about 100m off course because it turned out I was following one of the top men, who had finished some time before and was doing a cooldown. Nearly ran into him when he stopped to walk and he was nice enough to inform me that was not the way to the finish line and direct me back on course. Oops!
2015-08-07 9:01 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Hot Runner getting stuck in a fishing net while doing an OWS in Vietnam

I'm going to have to think pretty hard to find a story that rivals that

2015-08-07 9:39 AM
in reply to: #5133539

My first half ironman I was a complete detail freak, which bit me in the arse. I put a small cut in each of my energy shots to ease in opening, but then forgot I put them in my tri top pockets before the swim. i was reaching for the first pack while on the bike and realized my error only to find empty packs from them seeping out all over my shirt and spent the rest of the race looking like someone stabbed me in the back due to the fruit punch flavor/coloring. Lesson learned.
2015-08-07 10:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

I was doing a race with an OWS and was a little late getting in the water (was meeting my family that just arrived). There is a pipe that is the boundary for the swim area that is the starting line for the swim start. Everyone puts their body weight on the pipe and so the pipe is sunk under water. I forgot all about the pipe and swam out to the start as the race horn sounded. The pipe came up and cracked me in the ribs. I was able to finish but had to take short breaths and actually won my age group. The swim was hard, bike okay but the run was a major pain with the cracked ribs. It took about a month to heal. I felt dumb because I knew about the pipe but forgot all about it.

Hope you get your wheel back. Check with your bike shop. Someone may have took it there thinking you would be looking for a new wheel.

2015-08-07 10:36 AM

Hmm, last December I took my fairly new road bike onto some tame single track thinking it would be fun. But I didn't realize how wet the trails still were from recent snow/rain. I figured it would be mostly frozen over. About half way through I hit a muddy part of the trail. Instead of turning back, I tried like an idiot to slowly make my way through. Well, it was somewhat working, but after awhile I just had to give up and walk the bike out. The mud kept caking onto the brake calipers to the point where the wheels just wouldn't turn anymore and I fell over a couple times.

The worse part is when I got home. It was cold out, maybe in the upper 30's or so. And I had no choice but to get the hose out to wash the bike down. Eh, that water was cold and it took me forever to get the bike completely cleaned off.

2015-08-07 11:03 AM
in reply to: 0

Expert
Salisbury

Went on a fairly long bike ride around a lake in hot hot hot temps. I felt extremely dehydrated through most of the ride and ran out of fluids before finishing the loop. I even felt a bit light headed towards the end.

When I finished I leaned my bike against the back of the car, got inside, turned on the AC, and started chugging my recovery drink. Phew...started to cool down and feel somewhat normal. I go to drive away....kachunk...I ran over my bike

Edit: I know someone who pulled into their garage forgetting that the bike was still on their roof rack!!

Edited by Rencor 2015-08-07 11:05 AM
2015-08-07 1:00 PM
in reply to: Rencor

User image

Oakville

Earlier this year, I punched myself in the face when I lost grip pulling up the arm of my wetsuit. 

2015-08-07 1:10 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Sorry! I hope you get your wheel back. I thought that story was going to end with, then I squeezed my brake lever with the wheel off and it was impossible to get the wheel back in.

I've forgotten plenty of stuff. A swimsuit, socks, sports bra (more than once), and bike shoes. The bike shoes I realized that I forgot when I got to the velodrome. I rode in the shoes that wore there, some converse style shoes, when i found some toe clips laying around. Last Tuesday I raced my bike in a push up bra. It was less than my best.

Edited by jeng 2015-08-07 1:13 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » dumb things you have done Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First Oly Done, and a dumb run question

Started by datlas
Views: 843 Posts: 7

2013-07-22 10:03 AM dipboss

dumb bike question 415 - whart is this thing? Pages: 1 2

Started by TheClaaaw
Views: 2762 Posts: 30

2011-09-28 8:02 AM jcnipper

First Tri Done. A few things I learned

Started by nickster
Views: 1225 Posts: 6

2008-08-20 9:40 AM Concretechris

Dumbest thing you ever forgot? Pages: 1 2

Started by Rogillio
Views: 2545 Posts: 38

2008-07-14 1:13 PM Rad-Onc PA

The Stupidest Thing You've Done in an HIM Pages: 1 2

Started by Chippy
Views: 2407 Posts: 40

2007-09-08 2:19 PM southwestmba
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 23, 2013
author : Jerrykyc
comments : 2
The cause of the sleeplessness could be anxiety to get out and compete but more often than not the inability to sleep is a fear of what might happen, of what might go bump out on the race course.

date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.
date : September 3, 2010
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Stripped of its three-figure entry fees and five figure bikes, when the gun goes off it's still a bunch of crazies doing three sports for a thousand reasons.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
date : August 7, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 7
Do you see the bladder as half-full or half-empty? In this instance, it really doesn't matter how you look at it... you'd just better go.