General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HIM Bike Readiness Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-07 9:00 AM

Subject: HIM Bike Readiness
I’m looking for some opinions from the brain trust on my bike volume. I’m doing my first HIM in a little less than two months. I had developed a plan back in May that I thought would prepare me. I’m not straight off the couch. This spring I did a couple Olys, finishing MOP. My best time was 2:42:0 (Swim: 31:00, Bike 1:14:00, run 53:00) so I had decent baseline fitness. But during the course of the summer I amended the original plan to address current conditions in my fitness and now I’m looking back and feeling like I’ve undertrained on the bike.
My original plan was a fairly vanilla 2 swim, 4 bike, 3 run per week format. I’m pretty confident and strong on the swim relative to the other two so that’s why I cut a swim out and allocated it to the bike. However before launching into the HIM plan, upon completing my second Oly in April I came away pretty dissatisfied with my run, so I amended the plan to ramp up my run frequency and mileage. Beginning in May I kept my 2 swims per week, but I had to cut my rides down to 3 to accommodate 6 runs per week. During Base 1 and 2 I slowly built my weekly run mileage up to 30 mpw and by the end of the base period I was logging a little more than 14 hours per week in total training. Half of that was dedicated to cycling. Over the last month I continued to increase my run mileage and now I’m regularly logging 40 mpw with long runs of 12-13 miles each week. I feel good about this. But as a result my cycling time as a percentage of my weekly training hours is lower than it should be. Right now I’m training about 13.5 hours per week, but 45% of that time is spent running and 40% is spent cycling. I understand that is atypical, but I really want to maintain my run mileage at 40 mpw.
When you play the numbers game you know that certain statistics mean very little. Had I maintained 30 mpw running the relative percentages wouldn’t be so skewed. So I don’t want to focus on that as much as my total cycling time. As it stands now I’m still only riding three times a week, two of those are one hour trainer sessions with high intensity interval work. The third is a three hour ride out on the road. I have a loop from my house that is 57 miles long and that gets me my three hours. Again, that’s about all my schedule permits. To date I’ve logged six 50+ mile rides, with the longest being 60. I have four more of these scheduled before the race.
I understand I’ve given basic information here. I’d love to share great metrics with you all about heart rate and power, but I don’t train with any of those things. I’m a low budget athlete. I’m having some doubts about my bike fitness and since this will be my first time at the HIM distance I want to be sure I have a good idea about where I am at from a training standpoint so that I can pace my bike appropriately to set myself up to put together the best run I am capable of. Again, I have no doubts about my swim fitness, I feel good about my run mileage, and I have a nutrition plan that I test in training on my long rides. It really comes down to being honest with my abilities riding so I don’t ruin my race by going out too hard.

2015-08-07 9:17 AM
in reply to: Gatornate

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: HIM Bike Readiness

2 x 1 hour interval workout + 1 longer ride (also with some intensity) on top of frequent running was pretty much the staple diet for my HIM training.

2015-08-07 4:33 PM
in reply to: axteraa

Originally posted by axteraa

2 x 1 hour interval workout + 1 longer ride (also with some intensity) on top of frequent running was pretty much the staple diet for my HIM training.

Yeah, I don't see a problem here. 3 hour ride on the weekends, two one hour trainer sessions. . . unless you're mailing in those workouts, I wouldn't worry.

2015-08-07 5:35 PM
in reply to: #5133578

Definitely not mailing it in. Both trainer sessions are structured and challenging. The long ride has some long sustained efforts scattered about

I appreciate the feedback. I want to go more like 3.5-4 hours on the long ride but the schedule doesn't permit. So doubt creeps in.
2015-08-07 5:37 PM
in reply to: #5133766

Oh also the long ride involves four bridges and four overpasses (the florida version of climbing)
2015-08-07 6:32 PM

User image

If you don't have additional time for your long rides, you can always push them harder.  Higher fitness is a result of higher training loads.  Training load is a factor of both time and intensity.  A lot of beginners focus way too much on distance and time and lose track of the intensity part of the equation.  3 hours is more than enough time during a long ride to build HIM fitness if you ride hard enough.

2015-08-08 5:50 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
Rest assured, you're doing way more work than a lot of HIM participants and way less than others. You'll be just fine on race day from a fitness standpoint. Pacing on the bike will be the key!

I agree you're putting in enough time. If you want to use it most effectively, make sure you have enough intensity thrown into your rides.
2015-08-08 6:56 AM
in reply to: #5133767

Thanks for the feedback. I feel good about the quality of my training rides. I think between now and the race I need to come up with a plan for pacing like you all are saying is so important (and I agree)
2015-08-08 11:28 AM
in reply to: #5133802

User image

Groton, New York
My longest run up to my first half (couple weeks ago) was 6 miles. I rode 56 miles once a couple weeks before the race but otherwise I had a couple 30 mile rides and basically just 30 minute trainer sessions 2-3 times a week. Finished the race in quite a lot of pain in 5:52 with an irritated ITB. Longest weekly mileage only up around 12-15 miles. Yeah dumb but I just ran out of time. Somehow I think you will be just fine.
2015-08-10 4:26 PM

User image

New user
Houston, Texas
One thing to keep in mind on the HIM is that you really have to pace the bike to have a good run. I have messed that up 3 times in a row on HIM's.... yes I'm a moron. You will have more than plenty of rides to get you through the race. Just pace and plan nutrition and go have fun with no worries.
2015-08-11 3:41 PM

User image

Regular
I just completed my second HIM - Steelhead. I am most definitely MOP....

My average run MPW for the last three months was 16.6, with one long run per week (6 to 11 miles), 4 to 5 miles of interval work, and one 4 to 5 mile tempo run.
My average average bike MPW for the last three months was 82; with two long rides on the weekends and one interval ride during the week.

I finished with 35 (Swim), 2:35 (Bike), and 1:58 (Run) for 5:16 total

In my opinion, you are solid and will finish strong. Assuming you can judge your perceived effort on the bike and run.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HIM Bike Readiness Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bike fit + bike + bike fit?

Started by JRL
Views: 3298 Posts: 10

2011-09-26 12:10 AM jawgee

Triathlon readiness litmus test?

Started by billi2bc
Views: 1601 Posts: 8

2011-06-08 5:09 PM dmbfan4life20

sold bike, bike not in yet, broke other bike...depressed

Started by anth0424
Views: 1211 Posts: 7

2009-03-01 9:05 AM zeroviz

From Road bike to Tri bike *NEW BIKE*

Started by bradword
Views: 2272 Posts: 19

2007-08-25 10:21 PM tkbslc

Bikes bikes bikes!!!!

Started by mikenhe
Views: 915 Posts: 4

2004-06-07 8:54 AM GamblerZ
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
A Walmart bike, a borrowed road bike or a new carbon fiber bike? You don't need to break the bank for your first triathlon bike.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : June 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Second in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries

date : April 12, 2011
comments : 0
How should I be shifting gears on the front chainring and the rear cogs to cope with hills?
date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : August 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Are you traveling to a race and need to ship your bike? This video will demonstrate how to disassemble your bike to be able to pack it properly in a bike case for shipping.
date : March 6, 2007
author : sportfactory
Bike upgrades to gain speed: better wheelsets, a tri-bike, road bike with aerobars, even getting rid of those love handles before getting that lighter bike.

date : July 30, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 8
The triathlon bike vs. road bike quandary. Before you even ask the road bike vs. tri bike question, you should have a couple sprint triathlons or duathlons under your belt.