United States
Alta Vista Sports
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 17m 49s
Overall Rank = 548/623
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 52/55
Pre-race routine:

I was on time and ready for the start this time around, had a Clif Bar when I woke up at 4:15 AM and drove 30 minutes from my hotel room to the golf resort where the event started on a beautiful white sandy beach.
Event warmup:

Took my new mask out for a swim about ten minutes before the start, got used to the water and got my swim cap on.
Swim
  • 20m 54s
  • 875 yards
  • 02m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my second tri, and I intentionally chose a more challenging swim than my first event to force myself to train. My goal was not to tire out and stop or end up getting pulled from the water. I was a little concerned about sighting, because I didn't focus on that as much as on regular form and some endurance training. Really, the only thing that let me improve as much as I did was getting two books and a DVD from Terry Laughlin's Total Immersion website. I actually swam 800 in the pool in 16:37, which would have been unthinkable for me two months ago ... when I tried to swim 500 m in a lake and had to rest on a kayak half way across!
What would you do differently?:

I was still nervous about the ocean ... waves, jellyfish ... but I think it was still a good swim given my experience level. I was much happier with this swim than my first attempt.
Transition 1
  • 05m 4s
Comments:

I was still pretty tired from the swim, and the transition area was a good hike up the beach, along a boardwalk, and into a parking lot. I covered it pretty slow, but once I got to the transition area I was pretty calm. I did have a guy ask me to help him pull down the back of his bunched up bike jersey, but that only took maybe two seconds.

I should have applied more sunscreen before the event ... I ended up trying to spray on sun screen when dripping wet from the swim, not such a good plan.
Bike
  • 1h 09m 14s
  • 20 miles
  • 17.33 mile/hr
Comments:

Again, my bike was better this time than last, although this course had no monster hills like Buffalo Springs did. I was on my own bike this time, and it was my first race with this bike. Given that I don't have clipless pedals or aerobars, I was happy to get my speed up from 14.5 MPH in my last race to 17.3 MPH this time.

Well, I did have a near catastrophe right after I mounted the bike, because within about fifty feet I felt my right shoelace start wrapping around the crank! Fortunately I was able to get over to the curb and retie my shoes, but this is just another obvious reason to get new pedals and bike shoes. I would have felt terrible if I had caused someone else to wreck for something so stupid.
Transition 2
  • 02m 40s
Comments:

I went ahead and decided to switch to my Team in Training shirt for the run, especially since I was missing the first day of marathon training group runs in order to do this race. So that slowed me down a tiny bit. My site there is http://www.active.com/donate/tntcfl/JDHunter

Nothing, really.
Run
  • 39m 59s
  • 4 miles
  • 09m  min/mile
Comments:

My legs felt like they were just on the edge of cramping up, but they didn't. My plan was to run steady and slow (ten minute pace), and that's exactly what I did ... though it didn't feel as slow as it had in training. Once again I didn't do any brick workouts to help me run off the bike. Still, this was a big improvement over my 11:45 pace for the 5K of my first tri, given that it was 0.9 miles further.

Probably should have done some brick workouts in training.
Post race
Warm down:

Felt great, ate some barbecue and cookies at the party tent. Found my wife and checked out the pictures she had taken of the race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This time around, I would say a slightly aggressive swim distance for my experience level, a lack of useful upgrades to my cycling equipment (clipless pedals, aerobars), and a lack of brick workouts or intense speedwork in any particular segment of the race. Inexperience and low training volume are still my biggest obstacle, even though my wife and I are doing easy workouts four or five times a week, I haven't really gotten serious about pace yet.

Event comments:

Realistically speaking, given my newness to the sport and moderate training effort and equipment investment, I think this race went almost perfectly, with the exception of the shoelace around the crank. That could have been bad for a lot of people, and I'll correct that before my next race.

Another gorgeous day, and I'm much less embarrassed by my performance here than last time around, especially in the swim and in maintaining pace in the run (even though it was a slow pace!). I was happy to beat SOMEONE in my age group, so beating three people was fun, even though it ain't much to brag about!

Comprehensive race results are here:
http://www.altavistasports.com/results/2006results/sandestintriathl...

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-08-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:54 | 875 yards | 02m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 48/55
Overall: 0/623
Performance: Average
Suit: No, not cold enough
Course: Three sides of a rectangle, starting with about 100 meters out, 600 meters across, 100 meters back in or so.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 05:04
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
01:09:14 | 20 miles | 17.33 mile/hr
Age Group: 47/55
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Mostly flat course, well marked off with traffic cones. There was a lot of debris, rocks, glass, and trash on the road shoulder, but it was easy enough to spot and avoid with the whole right lane blocked off for the majority of the course. Out and back course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:40
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:39:59 | 04 miles | 09m  min/mile
Age Group: 0/55
Course: A mostly shaded run through the greens at the Sandestin Golf Resort. Very relaxing out and back course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-08-28 9:32 PM

New user

Subject: Sandestin Triathlon

2006-08-29 5:20 PM
in reply to: #525168

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Subject: RE: Sandestin Triathlon

Looks like in this case, the second time is a charm.  Congratulations on the improvement in your swim endurance and bike speed.

Regardless of whether you get clipless pedals and cycling shoes, you might want to try a pair a Yanks speed laces for your running shoes ... very comfortable, will make your transition times faster, alleviate retying your shoes during the run and you wont have to worry about laces wrapping around your crank.

Good job on the triathlon ... maybe after you complete the marathon with TNT we can talk you into doing Wildflower or St. Anthony's next season

2006-08-29 9:49 PM
in reply to: #526166

New user

Subject: RE: Sandestin Triathlon
Thanks, Brian! I'll give those Yanks a try.

I think Wildflower would be incredible! If I make my fundraising goal for the Disney Marathon with TNT, I'll definitely look into a triathlon as a follow-on. If you have a minute, please forward my link to anyone you think would be interested in seeing it.

http://www.active.com/donate/tntcfl/JDHunter

Thanks! How many TNT events have you done?

Daniel
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sandestin Triathlon Rss Feed