General Discussion Triathlon Talk » training question HIM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-11 3:04 PM

Subject: training question HIM
I'm an early morning guy, so off to work before the sun comes up, but usually home early afternoon. My question is based on training plans where there is a morning and afternoon training session.

Weekends are usually not to big of an issue for morning and afternoon work, but is it necessary?

Whats a good alternative that some folks have done with solid results?

Thanks,

2015-08-11 8:34 PM
in reply to: dworth

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bethpage, New York
Subject: RE: training question HIM
If you're asking about the necessity of two a day workouts in half ironman training, my opinion is that they are not completely necessary for success. The key is really maximizing your training time. If you can't fit in multiple workouts "big" in one day you need to make sure you're getting the most "bang for your buck", a lot can be accomplished in 25-30 minutes of swimming or running. Maybe you can restructure some of your workouts to shorter but more effective sessions that will allow for "sneaking in" a second session.
2015-08-12 4:30 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Can you do the workouts back to back, or with a short recovery period between? If you are home early afternoon it seems like there might be time to get in two workouts. Normally with two a days, they won't both have high volume/intensity. I would do the more challenging workout first, and the less challenging one later. An exception might be swimming if you are a fairly beginning swimmer--technique tends to be better when you're less fatigued. In particular, I'd avoid run speed work after a hard swim or bike workout, unless the plan specifies that it's a race simulation--the potential for injury is pretty high if you're running hard when fatigued.

When I'm doing doubles during the school year (teacher), I typically do one workout (trainer or run) before work, and one (usually swim) after work. But at home in the summer, due to different weather conditions and pool hours, it's pretty common for me to run or ride the trainer around 8 or 9 AM, and swim between 11 and noon, or swim at that time, and then do a run or trainer ride later in the day. It works fine as long as you stay hydrated and refuel adequately after the first workout.
2015-08-12 6:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Two-a-days are pretty much unavoidable for HIM or IM training if you want to do well (however you define well).  What I would try to avoid, if possible, is bike and run two-a-days.  Try to make it swim + run or swim + bike as the legs stay more fresh than bike + run.

2015-08-12 8:25 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by dworth I'm an early morning guy, so off to work before the sun comes up, but usually home early afternoon. My question is based on training plans where there is a morning and afternoon training session. Weekends are usually not to big of an issue for morning and afternoon work, but is it necessary? Whats a good alternative that some folks have done with solid results? Thanks,

Is the issue more with two workouts in a day or with the morning/evening separation? Both ways can work.

2015-08-12 12:45 PM
in reply to: brigby1

It has more to do with the morning/evening.

Currently I do a run in the afternoon and a swim immediately following or a bike ride in the afternoon then a swim following. they seem to be fine. Should I think about switching them around?

I also do bike+run, but very light running.

I'm also signed up to do the Long Beach combo race in Oct, so I want to be prepared for that. it's a 20bike+half Marathon

2015-08-12 1:26 PM

Master
Northern IL

Think about the execution of the workouts. As in how well you are able to achieve them compared to the goals. For example, harder workouts will likely need you to be more fresh to execute the pace or power targets.

2015-08-12 6:56 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Unless you are a really strong swimmer (and even then, maybe for one workout) if logistics are just as doable, you might want to think about putting one or both of the swims first. I know for me it can get to be a problem since I'm almost always swimming when fatigued to some extent from a earlier workout and/or a long day at work. In my case I don't have any choice as I don't have AM pool access during the work week, and long runs/rides have to start really early (as in first light) on weekends due to the heat. I feel like sometimes my form gets sloppy due to fatigue; occasionally I have to use a pull buoy or fins to finish a longer workout if I'm really tired from a hard run earlier. I know I'm much faster and smoother when I haven't done a workout before the swim, particularly before work.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » training question HIM Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

couch to sprint training plan strength training question....

Started by jerryknyc
Views: 1735 Posts: 3

2010-04-03 8:03 AM jerryknyc

Fitting Tri Training into Marathon Training Questions

Started by Venomized
Views: 1409 Posts: 12

2009-07-17 8:25 AM eliwashere

Training Question (Seperating run from walk in training)

Started by IdealMuse
Views: 1340 Posts: 16

2008-03-18 6:00 PM chirunner134

yet another training question - over doing it?

Started by autumn
Views: 1114 Posts: 7

2004-03-29 9:14 PM autumn

Training question

Started by stina76
Views: 920 Posts: 5

2004-01-15 8:20 AM TripleThreat
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 5, 2010
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 4
The grand pull to Kona is both a product of our sport's mythology, marketing, and the intangible desires that each create.

date : December 19, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 2
My problem is I can only swim about 30-40 meters without having to rest. What is the best way to improve this? I need to get from 40 to 750 meters in 6 months.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?

date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.
date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Information compiled on various plans from the most common user questions.

date : September 3, 2005
author : Michael Silva
Without paying a personal trainer or a PT on a regular basis, is there a regimen of exercises I can do to strengthen all around?
date : May 3, 2005
author : AMSSM
During training and endurance events, athletes should be careful not to ingest more fluids than necessary.

date : April 3, 2005
comments : 1
Mark Allen, six time Ironman Champion, answers the most common questions beginners have in getting into triathlons.