General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Men's Tri bike VS women's tri bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-12 1:37 PM

Subject: Men's Tri bike VS women's tri bike
I have been fitted for a giant trinity men's medium tri bike, however my wife found a women's giant trinity large tri bike, previously owned but never ridden. GREAT deal on price, however I'm not familiar enough with any major differences between men's and women's tri bikes. Can someone give me some insight or concerns that may be worth considering before looking into this option...Thank you

John

2015-08-12 2:02 PM
in reply to: trainerjohn

User image

Exton, PA
Subject: RE: Men's Tri bike VS women's tri bike
Originally posted by trainerjohn

I have been fitted for a giant trinity men's medium tri bike, however my wife found a women's giant trinity large tri bike, previously owned but never ridden. GREAT deal on price, however I'm not familiar enough with any major differences between men's and women's tri bikes. Can someone give me some insight or concerns that may be worth considering before looking into this option...Thank you

John

Depends on the years you are talking about. Some dimensions may be different. Might want to contact Giant to see if the designed the Womens bike for a lighter rider too.
2015-08-13 5:54 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities

Hi can't speak to the tri bike, specifically, as I ride a specialized transition...but as for giant's road bikes, I am consistently a medium in the regular line and a large in liv/womens. That being said, I prefer the regular version, but that's just me. I can tweak the women's to make it fit fine. But again, there's a difference in what I want/need in a tri bike versus road.

2015-08-13 6:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Sometimes the difference between a M and W bike is just paint scheme and saddle.  Sometimes it is actually different geometry.  You should be able to pull up the archives of whatever year model it is and do a side by side comparison between the M and W bike and see if there's any differences.

2015-08-13 8:04 AM
in reply to: #5134596

Thanks mike
2015-08-13 8:05 AM
in reply to: #5134713

Thank you all for your help

2015-08-13 9:56 AM

User image

I actually wondered about this.... a while back there was a really good deal on a QRoo Dulce. I almost considered it just as an extra bike but didn't know if geometry is different or just color....
2015-08-13 7:09 PM
in reply to: #5134714

I spoke with a number of bike shops and some other cyclists and the consensus was as long as the geometry is the same or similar and all the specs match up then a women's TT bike is just as good as a mens...thanks for the help, gonna go pick me up a lady's bike for a fraction of the cost...see you in transistion...I'm the guy with the chick bike
2015-08-13 7:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The WSD Giant Trinity is actually pretty nice!

I have no idea what the stack and reach are for the women's bike as compared to the men's but if you can get a pretty similar fit, great!
2015-08-14 1:05 PM

As long as it fits your fine. I often buy womens shoes because the mens sizes often start too big for me.
2015-08-15 7:32 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
There's three types of women specific bikes…

- The manufacturers that slap some bike accents on and call it a women's bike.

- The manufacturers that changes out all the components to women specific (and smaller, for example, narrower bars with shorter reach)

- The manufacturers that design the frame geometry and carbon layup to be better suited for a lighter and slightly less powerful rider (in general, women will produce slightly less power at the same weight as a man).

The first two would work just fine for women and men. The last, a lighter man could use it, but there may be better options.

Then you have the last one, which is not part of the 3 above… the manufacturer that only sells unisex frames, for example, Cervelo. Nothing wrong with that, but the lighter you are the harsher the frame may feel.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Men's Tri bike VS women's tri bike Rss Feed