United States
EndorFun
Precipitation
Total Time = 4h 56m 58s
Overall Rank = 118/1368
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 25/180
Pre-race routine:

Alarm went off at 3:30am for my usual pre-race feeding...banana, a couple of mini cinnamon raisin bagels and Gatorade Endurance. I usually have no problem getting back to sleep for another hour but it just wasn't happening so I got back out of bed at 4am and got the coffee brewing. I hit the road for the race site arounf 4:45am and it had just started to drizzle...signs of things to come. By 5am there was already a line waiting to get into the parking lot. I made it into the main lot and sat in the car for about 20min trying to organize my gear. By now it was raining harder but I decided to get ckecked in and look over the transition area...no sense in hauling my gear into the rain yet. Eventually I accepted the fact that it was going to be a wet day and just set up my transition, although I did leave my running shoes and socks in a plastic bag just in case the rain knocked off by the time I finished the bike. I popped 400mg of caffeine about 6:45 before heading for my swim warm-up and the starting area.
Event warmup:

I typically do a bit of run and bike warm ups but today the weather just wasn't helping to motivate me. As I thought about it I realized how silly it is do a run "warm up" 4 hours before I plan to run. If my legs aren't warm after riding 56 miles then I'm just out of luck. We had to have our bikes racked the night before so I knew everything was in working order and I didn't see any point to pedaling around in the rain. I need a relatively long swim warm up so I got my wetsuit on and headed for the water about 6:45...15 min before the race was supposed to start and nearly 30min before my wave. Turns out they decided to delay the start a bit because it looked like the rain might back off a bit so spent the better part of an hour in the water...it was warmer than standing on the beach. I probably swam 1000m in 3 or 4 short sessions between standing around in the water and shooting the shit with others folks while we waited for the race to start.
Swim
  • 34m 45s
  • 1931 meters
  • 01m 48s / 100 meters
Comments:

I had a decent swim...nothing spectacular but I hit the beach feeling good about the start of my race. Although the rain had quit for the swim I still had trouble sighting because my goggles were fogging. I managed to stay more or less on track thanks to the rest of the folks around me. There was a bit of bumping but nothing too bad and my goggles only got knocked once. I went out at a comfortable pace and just maintained that...never really pushing. You can never really be sure how accurate the swim course distance is from one race to the next. I swam almost exactly the same split as Diamondman last year but moved up in the AG rankings from top 35% to top 20% so I'll take that as an improvement.
What would you do differently?:

I ended up 47/180 in the AG which is about where I was swimming last season...maybe a little better. I was hoping for a better swim considering all the time I spent focusing on my technique in the past 6 months. I need to get to the point where I actually race the swim and I guess that just takes more time pushing myself. I want to make a point of pushing my limits a bit more on the swim in Clearwater.
Transition 1
  • 02m 24s
Comments:

I decided to wear gloves because of the rain

Nothing specific but I could probably be a bit more efficient in general.
Bike
  • 2h 41m
  • 56 miles
  • 20.87 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a tough bike course compared to the stuff I train on. I've only done one training ride with any significant hills and that just isn't enough to get me ready for this type of course. I kept my ass in the saddle for the most part and tried not to go out too hard but my effort definitely decreased a bit over the last 20 miles or so. The other issue I had was that my new tri bike is a bit unstable on high speed descents and I'm not a particularly good descender anyway. I spent the longer faster descents on the horns with white knuckles just praying I'd make it without bailing. There were two instances towards the end where I was positive I'd be hitting the ground. At one point my front wheel got a bit of a shimmy that just seemed to grow to the point where I thought I'd never get it under control. By this time it was raining hard and I prepared myself to take a nasty spill at 30mph. I managed to get on the brakes and eventually got things back in line but I was good and scared by that time. With about 3 miles left I decided it was time to empty the bladder so I took 30sec to get out of the saddle and stretch the legs...I can go while I'm sitting on the saddle :) I spent the final couple of miles trying to mentally prepare for T2 and the run but honestly I was happy that the ride was over and I was still inone piece.

Well, I'm not sure exactly what went wrong with my stomach but it definitely impacted my nutrition intake. I'm not really comfortable on high speed descents, especially in the aerobars on wet surfaces so I lost a bit of time there...max speed ws only 43mph and I probably averaged 5-8mph less on average through the descents that I could have. And finally, I don't consider myself a particularly strong rider in general so I've definitely got some work to do.

I managed to bike in the top 20% of my AG (29/180) which is a serious improvement from last season when I was an average MOP rider typically in the 50-60% range. I'm looking forward to a flatter course where I can ride with a bit more confidence.
Transition 2
  • 02m 25s
Comments:

Nothing special to note about T2. Took the time to put on socks.
Run
  • 1h 36m 25s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Coming out of T2 I still had some GI issues but I was able to get the legs moving at a decent pace. While my HR was a bit high out of the chute, I started to settle into a decent race pace and just focused on keeping my stride short and monitoring my legs for signs of fatigue. The first mile was faster than I expected (6:40) but didn't feel too hard so I was hoping that I'd be able to maintian sub-7min pace. Then without warning both my legs cramped on the first downhill segment. I tried to slow and continue but I had knots in both hammies and had to stop completely. I spotted a bottle of water on the side of the road and quickly downed some Endurolytes and began to shuffle on. That second mile was 7:38 but it looked like I might be able to get back to a decent pace as I clicked off a 6:39 for mile 3 and felt reasonably well. The next few miles were all sub-7min and I made a deal with myself that I wouldn't try to set any speed records as long as I could continue to run 7min miles. That would give me a nice PR on the day. I ended up tossing my gel flask around mile 5 because it was too concentrated for my stomach to handle so I was now stuck with Gatorade for the rest of the run (not good considering I was already behind on nutrition from the bike). I think mile #7 was a bit long because I logged 8:24 and wasn't really hurting too bad yet (notice I said YET). Mile #7 is the turn-around back down the grass to the transition and up the slight hill out of the main parking area so I expected into be a bit slower but I was surpsised to see an 8+ min split. The second loop is where the wheels started to fall off the wagon. I think the lack of nutrition and hydration finally caught up with me. My legs were starting to get heavy, although I didn't feel all that bad considering I was 4+ hours into the race. I just felt generally slow and not particularly efficient on my feet and my mile splits showed it...miles 8-12 were 7:16-8:12. I remember just concentrating on putting one foot in front of the other and trying to maintain a decent turnover but the hills were just killing me and my legs were like lead. Looking back at my HRM data my HR took a significant drop after the 8 mile mark...about 8bpm avg decrease for the remainder of the run. I think that's about where my body switched to survival mode...I just couldn't push any harder but I was only running in low Z3. From mile 11-12.5 my HR dropped all the way into Z2 even though I was giving it what I had left in me. It was also about this time that I remember my head getting a bit fuzzy and my ears starting to ring...I was kind of in a daze over those last couple miles. Once I could see the finish area across the lake and hear the announcer I knew I was almost home and I was able to find a bit of energy in reserve. I felt lighter and more efficient and was able to pick up the pace significantly running 6:52 for mile #13. I finally hit the turn down the finish chute and had maybe 200m to go...and I almost didn't make it. Just as I thought I had made it both my hammies started to cramp again and I practically hobbled to the line. I made it but it certainly wasn't pretty.

I think my poor run was a result of both limited training coming into the race after my accident and the limited nutrition through the ride. Not sure there was much I could have done today to avoid these issues. Some days things just don't go your way. I suppose I could have kept on the nutrition and hoped my GI issues would go away but it seemed a better idea at the time to cut back and give my stomach a chance to sort itself out...which never happened. I definitely could have used another 4-6 weeks of training but that wasn't an option in this case.

I ran 29/180 in the AG which is far from my usual top 3%. Looking at the results I figure I was capable of running in the top 5-10 of the AG if things went my way. Guess that just gives me something to shoot for in Clearwater.
Post race
Warm down:

By the time I crossed the finish line my legs were cramping, my head was getting a bit fuzzy, and my ears were ringing. I stumbled over to the massage tent shivering and was promptly given a blanket sent over to the medical tent. I had some gatorade, talked with the med staff a bit and kind of got my bearings before returning to the massage tent for a quick rub on my legs.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The conditions weren't ideal for riding fast, especially with my lack of comfort at high speeds on the descents. My biggest issue was the GI distress on the ride that resulted in cutting back on my nutrition and a poor run. If things had gone my way there is no doubt that I would have gone 4:50 or better. Some days you just have to take what you get.

Event comments:

Looking past the cold/wet weather this was definitely an awesome event from start to finish. I'm sure it was a massive job to plan and organize something of this magnitude and I think Keith did a fantastic job and we all made the most of some less than ideal conditions. I'll be back at Timberman again.

Last updated: 2006-08-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:45 | 1931 meters | 01m 48s / 100meters
Age Group: 47/180
Overall: 175/1368
Performance: Average
Suit: Pro Motion Power Glide full
Course: Basic box out from shore, parallel to the beach, and back in.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:24
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:41:00 | 56 miles | 20.87 mile/hr
Age Group: 29/180
Overall: 175/1368
Averaged 150bpm for the entire ride but my HR definitely dropped off over the last 20miles or so. This is where it would be very useful to have a power meter to analyze my performance.
Wind: None
Course: Not a particularly interesting course but it wasn't bad. The first ~15 miles have some good climbs before hitting the long stretch on 106 that is much more gradual. It's an out and back course so you hit the same hills on the reutrn. The rain held off for all but the last 10 miles of the ride but the surface was still wet for the most part.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 95
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:25
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:36:25 | 13.1 miles | 07m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 29/180
Overall: 104/1368
Performance: Bad
6:40, 7:38, 6:39, 6:46, 7:00, 6:57, 8:24, 7:16, 7:33, 7:28, 8:05, 8:12, 7:34, 6:52
Course: This was a 2x out an back course which I don't really like but I understand how it makes supporting the race much easier. I'd prefer a single 13.1 mile loop. There were some good hills on the run but plenty of fan and volunteer support to help motivate you.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-08-28 10:31 PM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: Timberman - Half Iron
So I set a PR by about 1min in less than idea conditions on a much tougher course.  While I'm happy about that I still didn't have a particularly good race overall.  My swim was acceptable and I was fairly happy with the ride considering my lack of confidence on the descents and almost taking a major fall in the rain.  Obviously, I'm completely disappointed with my run.  It's not that 1:36 isn't a decent 13.1 but I just fell apart and suffered through 95% of the run.  Guess it just wasn't my day overall.  I still managed to nab a slot for the IM 70.3 WC in Clearwater so I've got a chance to redeam myself in November. 

Edited by TH3_FRB 2006-08-28 10:54 PM

2006-08-29 6:58 AM
in reply to: #525246

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta
Subject: RE: Timberman - Half Iron
Wow, sounds like a tough day. It does suck when you can't get nutrition right because your just struggling the rest of the day. Way to tough it out and PR and get that 70.3 spot!

Shanks
2006-08-29 8:44 AM

User image

Elite
New City, New York
Still impressive Joel especially since you were in the hospital  5 months ago. Congrats on the WC slot and it was great to meet/ hang w/ you.  Hopefully we'll meet again at TM 2007.
2006-08-29 8:53 AM

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

Finally, the much anticipated race report.  Given all you've been through this year, Joel, this was an amazing result.  Even if you were ideally trained, you could've had an "off day".  You should be very proud of your race.  You're gonna kick a$$ at Clearwater!

Cheers!

Tom

2006-08-29 8:59 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Nice race Joel (even if not up to your high standards).  That was a very solid ride on the bike!  I saw you heading back on 106 and at least position-wise you looked better than anyone else around you.  I'm sure you'll be ready to throw down a great run in FL after a similar ride. 

Oh, mile 7 was definately long on the run.  The entire course was accurate and I think it was the final 1.1 that was short.  I went close to 9min for 7 and something like 6:30 for the last 1.1--neither very likely.

2006-08-29 9:05 AM

User image

Buttercup

Da-amn. Your SLOW run is my Inmydreams run. Great job, Joel! Do you pull out the cape for your tri's or is this your mild-mannered alter ego throwing down these splits? Impressive.

You're going to be in Clearwater?! Awesome!!

2006-08-29 10:36 AM

User image

Elite
Texas
Great race Joel! I hope to one day be somewhat disappointed with a sub-5 hour 1/2 IM!
2006-08-29 11:30 AM

Champion

Still ended up being a decent race for you Joel, despite the GI issues.  I had similar stuff at Lake Placid.  Also you have to add in a little correction factor for it being a new course to you.  Training in the area a lot makes a big difference when you get out on the same roads during a race.  It was good to meet you on Saturday!

2006-08-29 12:41 PM
in reply to: #525746

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA

I wasn't really disappointed with the results...can't complain too much about a PR in less than ideal conditions on a much tougher course...but I wasn't happy with the way my body performed.  This is the first time I've ever experienced any significant physical issues aside from simply being at my fitness limits.  Based on my fitness and conditioning I know I was capable of going under 1:30 on the run, even off a solid ride.  It just wasn't meant to happen that day and that's part of racing.  Some days everything goes your way and some days the body decides it's done before you hit the finish line.

More time training in the hills would have definitely helped my ride.  I had only one long ride with any climbing so I was a t a disadvantage there but still managed and nice improvement on the ride relative to the field.  I rode in the top 20% (29/180) of the AG at T-man but wasn't even in the top half (33/58) at Diamondman.

max - 2006-08-29 12:30 PM

Still ended up being a decent race for you Joel, despite the GI issues. I had similar stuff at Lake Placid. Also you have to add in a little correction factor for it being a new course to you. Training in the area a lot makes a big difference when you get out on the same roads during a race. It was good to meet you on Saturday!

2006-08-29 2:52 PM

User image

Expert
San Diego
Spectacular jb and congratz again on the WC slot. Thanks for hooking me up with the room and being a kickass host.
2006-08-29 4:01 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Comeback of the year. You da shizz.

2006-08-29 4:24 PM

User image

Expert
Manchester, NH
Jeez, Joel. Seriously, I didn't think you would even be able to race T-Man just a couple months ago! And you show up and kick a$$!! Man, that's just inspiring! Congratulations!
2006-08-29 5:42 PM
in reply to: #526117

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA

Yeah...I remember sitting in the ER back in April and the doc telling me I probably wouldn't be able to get back to training for 6 months.  At the time I just accepted that as fact and more or less wrote off the season.  I had hoped I could do the aqua-bike but wasn't going to rush my recovery.   I did exactly what the doctors told me to and stayed as active as possible even though I wasn't able to walk, run, or ride.  & weeks after leaving the hospital on crutches I was cleared to start walking and I didn't waste any time getting back to business.  Again, I didn't push it but there wasn't any sign of pain or discomfort so I kept building the training volume.  4 months after the acident I was standing in the rain early Sunday morning at Timberman getting ready to race...including the run.  Aside from a few hours in the ER I managed to keep a positive attitude and just focused on getting back to my "normal" life.

immyfish - 2006-08-29 5:24 PM Jeez, Joel. Seriously, I didn't think you would even be able to race T-Man just a couple months ago! And you show up and kick a$$!! Man, that's just inspiring! Congratulations!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Timberman - Half Iron Rss Feed