General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie Swimming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-17 12:39 PM

Subject: Newbie Swimming
I'm a total newbie on triathlons and swimming. I enjoy biking and running so thought I might as well pick up the swimming and try my first sprint triathlete once I've properly trained....but I'm worried about the swim, I can't possibly imagine swimming 500-600M without stopping...

I know how to "swim", but not well. Basically my knowledge is swim lessons as a kid and I can basically survive in the water. In freestyle I swim about 100M and feel like I have no air in the tank...I've tried slowing down, breathing every two or three strokes, etc. but I can't seem to get things to click.

The questions:

1. I've been reading on this total immersion swimming technique where they basically do some flutter kick only when their arms are moving as opposed to the constant little up and down kicks you learn as a kid. For triathlons, should I shoot for the total immersion technique or is that total BS? The logic behind the total immersion technique is you use less energy and can save more energy for the other sports and can swim much further distances....should I stick to the constant small kick you learn as a kid or try picking up on this new technique?

2. Based on the answer to no. 1 I'm basically at a point where I think I need to take proper swimming lessons so I can make sure I'm practicing correctly and not forming bad habits while not improving either. Should I simply go to a local swim club and do this or should I get someone specific towards tri-training?

Thanks in advance!

2015-08-17 2:12 PM
in reply to: bob_frapples

User image

Subject: RE: Newbie Swimming
Originally posted by bob_frapples

I'm a total newbie on triathlons and swimming. I enjoy biking and running so thought I might as well pick up the swimming and try my first sprint triathlete once I've properly trained....but I'm worried about the swim, I can't possibly imagine swimming 500-600M without stopping...

I know how to "swim", but not well. Basically my knowledge is swim lessons as a kid and I can basically survive in the water. In freestyle I swim about 100M and feel like I have no air in the tank...I've tried slowing down, breathing every two or three strokes, etc. but I can't seem to get things to click.

The questions:

1. I've been reading on this total immersion swimming technique where they basically do some flutter kick only when their arms are moving as opposed to the constant little up and down kicks you learn as a kid. For triathlons, should I shoot for the total immersion technique or is that total BS? The logic behind the total immersion technique is you use less energy and can save more energy for the other sports and can swim much further distances....should I stick to the constant small kick you learn as a kid or try picking up on this new technique?

2. Based on the answer to no. 1 I'm basically at a point where I think I need to take proper swimming lessons so I can make sure I'm practicing correctly and not forming bad habits while not improving either. Should I simply go to a local swim club and do this or should I get someone specific towards tri-training?

Thanks in advance!

For #2, googled swim lessons and found a great coach in my area. I started with one-on-one lessons and then moved onto masters. When I first started, I would swim 25m and have to stop. Lessons gave me confidence and a better understanding of when things were going wrong so I can correct myself. I had a coach that would make me swim a lap..... then correct one small thing..... then swim another lap..... then correct another thing. Then at the end give me "homework" drills to do to correct the issues. My swimming exponentially improved session by session (I saw improvements my first session). It was the best decision I made. I still feel like there is a ton of things that I can improve but I'm competent enough that I can get through a sprint tri swim and feel like I did okay. Swimming is the hardest thing that I have learned because its not like running and cycling where you can have bad form and still technically get through it. Bad form will wear you out quick in swimming.
2015-08-17 3:11 PM

User image

Chicago, Illinois
I learned to swim using the Total Immersion swimming DVD and checking out the forums. I am still not the fastest swimmer, but have worked my way up to the middle to upper middle pack. Less kick is what drew me in to the Total Immersion system, but I also had a serious leg injury that makes me want to kick less also. If you are going to do TI then you may need to look for a TI instructor as regular swim instructors will teach different techniques.
2015-08-17 3:40 PM
in reply to: emcmino

Sarasota, Florida
I have been using a workout on active.com as well as one from my triathlon I signed up for, and it requires 20 second rests between sets.
I sure hope TI will work come race day cause it's the only way I can survive these distances without completely holding my head out the water throughout.

For me, TI is more like jogging, while using continuous kicks is like running.
I have been timing the differences and save between 5-10 sec/100 yards with continuous movement, but I stand no chance maintaining this pace.

I'm trying to adapt between the 2 styles when I feel like I've recovered allowing more energy. I don't know what clicked yesterday, but adding glide and taking kicks out made swimming suddenly feel like casually climbing up a ladder with smooth easy breathing. I have attempted this before, but it never felt so easy. I'm becoming a fan.
2015-08-17 3:51 PM

User image

Birmingham, Alabama
After struggling through a few weeks of swimming on my own, I picked up TI at the local library. I have found it to be very helpful.
2015-08-17 8:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
You are talking about a 2 beat kick.

Total immersion works for some... a real coach works far better.

You need to stress about swimming straight through... break it down.

25s and 50s.

2015-08-18 3:48 PM

so it sounds like the TI swimming technique is legitimate. I found a TI coach but they're crazy expensive. Would the DVDs suffice? I'm not looking to be the next Phelps, I would be doing this Tri strictly for fun and exercise.

Would the DVDs be more valuable or should I take swimming lessons and accept the fact they're going to train me to scissor kick? I just can't justify paying the crazy prices for TI instruction.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie Swimming Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Swim times, stretching, and other silly newbie swim questions

Started by Omahabritt
Views: 1012 Posts: 8

2012-02-09 11:24 AM hessma

Newbie swim question

Started by whalers34
Views: 1146 Posts: 20

2007-04-04 12:16 PM kp41

Newbie swim question...

Started by TBZ
Views: 1180 Posts: 14

2006-08-01 5:26 AM OldDudeTRIn

Newbie swim question

Started by aubie6
Views: 560 Posts: 4

2006-07-18 10:46 PM Momida

newbie swimming questions

Started by DaveG
Views: 512 Posts: 2

2004-10-17 7:05 AM Rowdy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 24, 2015
author : BradSeng
comments : 0
While running, I've been really struggling to keep my heart rate down in the zone 2-3 range as frequently prescribed in the plan. This seems too slow?

date : July 30, 2012
author : jamesjbettis
comments : 4
Because triathlon can become a lifestyle, it can also become very complicated. But, it doesn’t have to.
date : November 9, 2010
author : lithelola
comments : 5
A bumbling non-athlete makes her determined way to the Nation's Triathlon finish line!

date : February 7, 2008
author : nxm165
comments : 1
Initial adventures of another 40-something entering the world of tri.
date : January 29, 2006
author : seveerneb
comments : 44
How to consistently come in last place and enjoy it. By a real expert.

date : July 31, 2005
author : Mottyl
comments : 6
I had read the articles on BT, I'd trained, and I thought I had prepared. There were, however, a few things that I didn't internalize despite what I'd been told.
date : November 14, 2004
author : eclaire
comments : 0
Newbie blunders teach the mind to overcome the moment, and always have fun!