JMS Racing Services
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 8h 22m 51s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got to the hotel the night before and did my packet pick up, ate supper, enjoyed some relaxation and chatted with some friends. Was in bed by midnight and fell asleep right away which surprised me since I have so much trouble sleeping at night.

Woke up at 0400 and did my usual routine of shower, tri suite on, hair up, rechecked all my gear, and headed out the door. Got to the site in plenty of time and got a good parking spot.

Bike out, numbers on, timing chip in place and bike racked all very smoothly. Chatted with other people in my division and waited for the official word on wetsuits.

Word was no wet suites since the water was a warm 81 degrees! It was 78 degrees yesterday so this came as a shock to everyone. Now I'm starting to get nervous. I've never been a good swimmer and these longer courses tend to killer for me.

Event warmup:

Did a quick swim and was amazed at how clear the lake was all things considered. My confidence came back and I walked around and walked around the beach.
Swim
  • 55m 55s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 39s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a weird type of out and back N shaped course that had most of us confused. Just about everyone there agreed to simply follow the leader, assuming that the leaders stayed on course we would be good.

The start was by division then broken down into a time trial start of one starting every 5 seconds. Before I knew it, it was my turn and I was off! With us being spread out there was almost no contact and I simply sited off the caps in front of me and only occasionally used the course markers for guidance.

Got to the turn around point and found a lady in my division to swim with. For the rest of the course I made sure that she stayed on my right side and I swam side by side her.

Twice when I started to swim faster than her I found myself between two groups of swimmers and alone. I flipped over on my back, took a breather and started back up when my swimming buddy caught up to me.

Exited that water feeling amazing, the best I every have on a distance swim. And I managed a non wetsuit PR too!!!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, happy with this swim
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Got to my bike a sat down to wash off my feet, get them dried off, socks on, shoes on, helmet and sunglasses on, gel eaten, and I was off!

I was close to the swim enterance so I had a bit of a walk to the exit. I used this time to calmly walk my bike and get my gut under control. Got the mount area and get going smoothly.

Nothing
Bike
  • 3h 39m 47s
  • 56 miles
  • 15.29 mile/hr
Comments:

I was dreading this part. After a two mile trek out of the park was started out with four out and back loops. There was one large hill going into the park so each lap we did the hill climb twice for a total of eight climbs. I was not looking forward to this simply because I knew I was going to be bored out of my mind.

Anyway First loop went well, I was feeling great, zipped down the hill, hit the turn around, was tucked up on my aero bars and easily spun my way up the hill. Came back down with my tires screaming and a strong tail wind. Passed a crowd of people along the side of the road, hit the turn around and headed back. Did another easy spin up the hill to complete my first loop.

Second and third loops things where stating to warm up. Finished two bottles of my Tailwind, drank two bottles of water at the aid station and started in on the fourth loop. By this time I was bored, hot, starting to have hip pain, thirsty beyond all belief, and ready to be off the bike.

And to make matters worse it seemed that for all the wind that was blowing that day it never stayed in one direction. We would have little patches of a strong tail wind followed by a side wind and then another tail wind, for the entire course.

I was having a new impossible time of keeping my thirst under control. I would start by thinking that I'd only take a few sips from the bottle but ended up chugging almost a quarter of the bottle. Despite all this I felt like I was never caught up on my hydration.

Finally ended my four loops and made my way back to transition. Made it to the dismount area and felt very dehydrated.

Not sure.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Walked my bike back to my spot and promptly sat down to rest for a few moments. Got my running shoes on and gapped a bottle of Tailwind. Headed my way out to the run course and dreaded it.

Nothing
Run
  • 3h 39m 47s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 16m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

By the time I started the run it was HOT HOT HOT!!!!. This was yet another four loop course, and by now I'm completely over this "spectator friendly" loop thing.

First loop I walked just about all of it. Down the dam, back up the hill and hit the first aid station and dumped a bucket of cold water over my head and down my back. Felt so good! I'm sure I had steam running off my shoulders.

Up through the campers and got sprayed by some kids playing with their water guns. Looped back around and headed back to transition stopping at the water station for anther bucket of cold water.

Started the second loop at a very pathetic and slow job, the heat just took everything out of me. And I had all that water and fluid from the bike sloshing around in my gut making it even worse.

With no shade loops two and three where miserable. At the turn around point up by the campers someone finally set up a water station but was rationed ice. But at that point I was so happy just to have some extra fluids.

Half way through the second loop I started to feel the terrible tell tale het spots on my feet and knew I had multiple blisters in the making. Having to make the turn around to start loop four was mental torture. I was so hot and miserable, my feet hurt, I felt like my breathing was close to hyperventilation, my heart rate was completely out of control, I was needing fuel but my gut was just to upset to even attempt any of the course offerings.

Fourth loop was mostly a slow and painful walk in the hot sun, no shade, no more ice, no more dunking water, warm water at the aid stations. I was just over it. Over the race, over the loops, over the heat, and ready to be done. Finally got down the hill and for the last 100 feet or so I pulled it together just enough to "jog" across the finish line.
Post race
Warm down:

Collected my medal and collapsed on the nearest curb. Painfully pealed off my shoes and socks to revile a total of five sizable blisters. I laid down on my back and closed my eyes not caring any more. I was just so happy to finally be in the shade.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat, blisters.

Event comments:

Over all I like how the Pigman was run. Was not happy with the loops or how there was no shade on the run. However it was well run and on time. I may be back next year.

Last updated: 2015-08-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:55:55 | 2112 yards | 02m 39s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:39:47 | 56 miles | 15.29 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
03:39:47 | 13.1 miles | 16m 47s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2015-08-20 2:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Pigman Long Course Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pigman Long Course Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Pigman Long Course Triathlon

Started by tg_bull
Views: 1186 Posts: 1

2012-08-23 8:28 PM tg_bull

Started by thunda78
Views: 1004 Posts: 1

2012-08-21 9:15 PM thunda78

Started by siouxcityhawk
Views: 1430 Posts: 1

2012-08-20 3:47 PM siouxcityhawk

Started by mjewen
Views: 1692 Posts: 3

2012-08-21 3:35 PM siouxcityhawk

Started by ersnyder3654
Views: 1183 Posts: 3

2012-08-21 3:32 PM siouxcityhawk
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon

date : November 22, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!

date : July 11, 2007
author : Amy Kuitse
Discussions on training after adductor tendonitis, swimming drills, training after 3 down base weeks from allergies to get ready for a HIM, hill drills, Computrainer courses vs outside rides and more.
date : June 27, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
After starting the season with only the goals of raising money for cancer research, Stacey finds herself with the opportunity to go to the Long Course Championships in France.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Any good race director will go over the triathlon swim course directions many times.

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.