General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Purchasing a Treadmill - Advice Please Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-08-23 11:50 AM

User image

Subject: Purchasing a Treadmill - Advice Please
I've searched the forums about treadmills, but nothing recent and relevant. I'm looking to purchase a treadmill for my home "gym." I prefer running outside but with the shorter days of winter coming and my work schedule, sometimes it would just be easier to squeeze my workout in if I have a treadmill at home. Some quick facts about me: 5'6", 140lbs, mostly training for half iron distance races (so 1-2 hour runs max, max speed for me 7 min/miles for interval work, sustained long distance pace 9 min/miles). My husband may use the treadmill occasionally (6'2", 230lbs).

I'm not looking for top of the line NFL quality equipment. I'm looking for reliable and durable. I would like a digital display. Must have incline adjustments.

Any advice is most welcome...thank you guys!

2015-08-23 2:39 PM
in reply to: Rdracer99

User image

Subject: RE: Purchasing a Treadmill - Advice Please
Check out the Nordictrack incline trainers, if you want club quality you should check out the Freemotion incline trainers. Keep in mind the freemotion one will be a heavy treadmill.

I've really like the Freemotion flex deck treadmills as they are nicer to run on. These have an incline function but not like an incline trainer.
2015-08-23 2:52 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Treadmills run (see what I did there?    a very wide range of price and quality.  You can buy one for light home use for less than $1,000 up to a commercial one for gyms that cost more than $5,000, and everything in between.  Generally speaking, you'll get what you pay for.  If you're going to run 500-1000 miles a year on it, a cheap one won't survive more than a few years, and it'll likely need several adjustments in that period.  A $5,000 one is going to be overkill for even the most hardcore of home users.

I have a Bodyguard treadmill in my studio that has worked well for about 3 dozen personal training clients every week for nearly 2 years with only one adjustment.  It was in the $3,000 range.  They're viewed as expensive for a home treadmill, but they also have a reputation for being bombproof.  They don't have a lot of bells and whistles, but IMO, that's a good thing, because it's fewer things to break on it, and most people run them on manual anyway.  If you come across a used one with low hours for $1,000-$1,500, snatch it up before it's gone.

2015-08-23 3:00 PM

The most common not-so-expensive but super solid recommendation is the Sole F80. It's definitely one of the most widely owned and used TMs out there.

I have one. It's outstanding. It'll be good enough for you even if you're a professional runner and it's highly unlikely you'll outlast it.

The customer service is outstanding as well. I actually cracked my deck (very slightly) in 5 years and they sent me a new one right away, no questions asked. 

2015-08-23 5:07 PM

http://www.treadmillreviews.net/best-treadmill/

I have a pacemaster that is no longer made. It has about 5000 miles on it. It is getting loud but still works great. The Sole was my second choice and is always rated high.
2015-08-23 6:48 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I bought one in January, Fuel brand which I think may be exclusive to Dicks Sporting Goods. It was on sale for $600, currently listed online for $999. It has better reviews online than the sole mentioned above. Admittedly I don't use it super often, it's my back up for extreme weather days. But ive been really pleased with it so far. If you can wait till after Christmas you might find better prices.

2015-08-23 9:01 PM

Hi. I feel you. There are times that we ahd to skip our morning jogs just because it's too col outside. So, having a treadmill for home gym is very much helpful. NordicTrack Commercial 1750 can decline for increased training performance.It has a high-tech treadmill that offers the perfect combination of connectivity and precision training. For the complete list of top 10 treadmill reviews and comparisons, check here, http://treadmill-review.toptenreviews.com/nordictrack-commercial-re...
2015-08-23 9:23 PM

If you go over to the Treadmill Doctors website, I believe they talk a lot about what you should be looking for based on what you want it to do. If I remember correctly, HP of the motor is one of the important factors.
2015-08-24 7:45 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Katy, Texas
I purchased a treadmill a little over a month ago and did quite a bit of research on the subject. From all the buying guides and informational websites, I found the following specifications for what is generally considered a high quality treadmill (i.e. the minimum you want to invest in):

> 2.5 CHP (this is the horsepower when running)
> 20" x 55" belt
> 2-4 ply belt
Speeds of 12 mph or higher (this is typical with the >2.5 CHP noted above)
Cushioning

Taking this into account, the treadmill that met all these criteria for the lowest price was the NordicTrack Commercial 1750. It actually blew some of them away and was only $1,400.

NordicTrack Commercial 1750 Specs:

3.8 CHP
22 x 60 belt
2 ply belt
12 mph
adjustable cushioning

It also has a ton of other features like web enabled touch screen and ifit along with incline and decline, which lets you run courses anywhere in the world, which is my favorite. Living in the land of the flat, I missed the rolling hills of central park and now I can run that loop anytime I want. By the way, if you want a nice rolling course, I highly recommend it.

It also

Edited by 3mar 2015-08-24 7:46 AM
2015-08-24 8:21 AM
in reply to: 3mar

Look on Craigslist. I'd bet at least 3/4 of the treadmills purchased get used for a few weeks, then sit in the basement collecting dust (and coats...and boxes).

Lots of great treadmills sell for $50, $100, or $200...I've even seen a few for free. I paid $75 for mine and it's lasted me through one winter...I expect it'll last at LEAST one more.
2015-08-24 9:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
One thing that I would recommend to check is the load bearing limit, if your husband is going to use it. I am not say ing he is heavy but when we were looking for a treadmill for our dogs it was very difficult to find one that was rated for above 200lb (our dogs are about 220-230).

We eventually got a Proform it has a wider and longer belt which is good if you don't have any space issues, but it is very heavy and hard to move. It is about 6 or 7 years old now and has not skipped a beat.

2015-08-24 9:48 PM
in reply to: dpd3672

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Originally posted by dpd3672

Look on Craigslist. I'd bet at least 3/4 of the treadmills purchased get used for a few weeks, then sit in the basement collecting dust (and coats...and boxes).

Lots of great treadmills sell for $50, $100, or $200...I've even seen a few for free. I paid $75 for mine and it's lasted me through one winter...I expect it'll last at LEAST one more.

I have one like that, it was given to me. In the first year I replaced the drive belt but otherwise it has been okay. It is no where near the quality of a gym based one which seems much more natural and smoother but the one I have does the job. If I was forking out money to buy a new one I would bypass the cheap ones. Even for the craigslist cheapies I would ask to try it before buying just to be sure it matches your expectations.
2015-08-25 11:07 AM

User image

I bought a Free Spirit many years ago and I have had no problems with it. I don't use it that often though. About the only time I'm on it is when it's below minus 30 and there's a wind outside. Otherwise, I much prefer the outside because the treadmill is BORING.
I would look for a used one because there are many good intentioned people who use it a few times and then it becomes like a vacuum cleaner. (It just collects dust)
2015-08-25 11:10 AM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
+1 for the F80. Excellent mill.

Pay the extra to have it delivered IN ROOM. Putting it together is no big deal but good god, lugging that thing to the other end of the house sucks.
2015-08-25 12:25 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Pro

Originally posted by StaceyK ...our dogs are about 220-230[lbs]...

Wow.  Those are some big dogs!  Post pics.  

2015-08-25 2:41 PM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Originally posted by Leegoocrap +1 for the F80. Excellent mill. Pay the extra to have it delivered IN ROOM. Putting it together is no big deal but good god, lugging that thing to the other end of the house sucks.

This is really good advice that I had forgotten from my own experience.   I bought my treadmill from Sole and they had one subcontractor deliver, and a second bring it inside.   The first swore up and down that he was told to deliver it to the garage, even though my receipt said "inside front door". Then second swore up and down he didn't deliver downstairs, even though that was specifically stated on my order as well.   My advice, as an extension of the delivery options, is to have these printed off and be prepared to stick up for yourself.  In my case it was December (in Minnesota) and no way in hell would I accept a garage delivery!  It all worked out and it was TOTALLY worth the extra money.  

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2015-08-25 2:42 PM

2015-08-26 2:35 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Also read reviews - you don't have to pay a ton more to get something run worthy. I bought mine about three years ago and was worried about quality but it seemed with certain HP and a few other features that over a certain point there's only marginal differences. I ultimately went with one almost $1000 less than my initial shopping because the reviews had people who logged what seemed some real miles on it and could vouch for the durability. 

Something to think about is sale periods. Here, and i know because my husband works for a major retailer that sells fitness equipment, the best sales are at New Years. You wouldn't think so but keep an eye and don't buy regular price. 

Also X2 on the delivery. We got it delivered to the house but it was still SUPER heavy even to move the pieces and put it together! 

2015-08-26 8:19 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
I bought a Sole F60 last winter after looking for awhile on craigslist and coming up empty. I usually put about 2hours a week on it and do the rest outside. It's been will worth the $799 I paid for it new. I only weigh 140 pounds so not sure how it would hold up to somebody 200+.
2015-08-26 8:37 PM
in reply to: EKH

User image

New user
Green Bay, WI
Personally I bought an AFG that I love after doing a bunch of research and test runs. I thought the Nordic Track was too springy. Tried out a few others including the Sole. and ended up with a lesser known brand. The thing is no frills but has a bigger motor and is a tank. Id buy another one. Just wish it had Bluetooth or ant + so I could automatically upload my workouts.
2016-04-07 1:06 AM

I prefer to get out in the cool morning air to run, however, it all hinges on the weather! I've had a number of treadmills in the past and just picked up a new treadmill for 2016 to replace my old beat up BowFlex.

I actually went with the Sole F80 primarily for its folding capabilities and it's large 9" display screen. I'm 6 foot and 200 lbs so your husband being 6'2", 230lbs should pose no problems. I'm not sure what you're budget is but this one will last me a good number of years and well worth the money.
2016-04-07 8:42 AM

User image

Master
Bedford, MA
I purchased a treadmill 1 1/2 years ago, and it's probably been my best purchase in a long time. I initially was looking at the Sole F80 and the NordicTrack 1750, but realized I'd be doing quite a bit of running and really wanted something solid that would last a long time. I settled on a True PS100, which has a MSRP of about twice that of the ones I initially looked at. However, I purchased the treadmill on Black Friday, knocking $500 off and got two years of 0% financing.

I've averaged over 50 miles a week since October, and 90% of that has been treadmill based. One of the things I really wanted in a treadmill was the ability to get up to speed quick for intervals. The Sole and NordicTrack simply didn't do this. If I'm doing 1/4 mile repeats I don't want it to take 30 seconds to get to speed. This may not be an issue for some, but it definitely was for me.

I also didn't want any 'cheap' gimmicks like built in fans or audio. You need a solid fan for cooling and no built in fan will do a thing. These are also just things waiting to break. I also didn't want any of the crap that NordicTrack includes in terms of courses and online access - simply another thing to break. If you need things like that to get through a workout you need to rethink what you are doing.

Edited by natethomas2000 2016-04-07 8:48 AM

2016-04-07 3:04 PM
in reply to: natethomas2000

User image

Durham, North Carolina
This thread got me searching for a treadmill so I figured I would ask for some help here. I've found two options that are the same price that I think would work for me and I was hoping you guys could help me make up my mind or keep me from making a mistake.

#1) $400 - Sole f63 (assuming its this model, but waiting for confirmation http://www.soletreadmills.com/treadmills/f63-treadmill-2013)
This one is used they say less than 10 times and its 2.5 years old. They also say it hasn't been used in a long time. I'm not sure if thats good or bad.

#2) $400 - ProForm Performance 600i (https://www.proform.com/treadmills/performance600i)
This one is new in box, but the box was damaged. It will come with a 24 hour check period to make sure it works fine (its still craigslist so not sure if its legit or not).

If it makes a difference I'm not interested in all of the techy screens and such. I would rather watch a full size tv and use a full size fan. I just want one that will work and feels solid when you are running on it.
2016-04-08 11:58 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
Originally posted by Lupy

This thread got me searching for a treadmill so I figured I would ask for some help here. I've found two options that are the same price that I think would work for me and I was hoping you guys could help me make up my mind or keep me from making a mistake.

#1) $400 - Sole f63 (assuming its this model, but waiting for confirmation http://www.soletreadmills.com/treadmills/f63-treadmill-2013)
This one is used they say less than 10 times and its 2.5 years old. They also say it hasn't been used in a long time. I'm not sure if thats good or bad.

#2) $400 - ProForm Performance 600i (https://www.proform.com/treadmills/performance600i)
This one is new in box, but the box was damaged. It will come with a 24 hour check period to make sure it works fine (its still craigslist so not sure if its legit or not).

If it makes a difference I'm not interested in all of the techy screens and such. I would rather watch a full size tv and use a full size fan. I just want one that will work and feels solid when you are running on it.

If it were me, and the tech was not a consideration, I'd go for the Sole over the ProForm.
Belts are the same size. But, Sole has the better track record and also the bigger motor.

For $400, I'm not sure you can go wrong with either...

Edited by RockTractor 2016-04-08 11:59 AM
2016-04-08 5:48 PM
in reply to: RockTractor

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by RockTractor

If it were me, and the tech was not a consideration, I'd go for the Sole over the ProForm.
Belts are the same size. But, Sole has the better track record and also the bigger motor.

Motor size and belt width are the 2 first things I would be looking at, with motor size being the most important.
(Belt width is probably more a personal thing as I hate feeling like I'm crowed.)
2016-04-09 6:41 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Originally posted by StaceyK

Originally posted by RockTractor

Motor size and belt width are the 2 first things I would be looking at, with motor size being the most important.
(Belt width is probably more a personal thing as I hate feeling like I'm crowed.)

Thanks!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Purchasing a Treadmill - Advice Please Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Advice on new purchases in 2009?

Started by burkesj
Views: 1471 Posts: 9

2009-04-16 9:14 PM burkesj

Need Some Bike Advice on a Purchase

Started by jacasa
Views: 1864 Posts: 10

2008-07-07 3:56 PM jacasa

Bike purchase advice needed -- cross post

Started by esnackpack
Views: 1285 Posts: 2

2008-06-24 9:06 AM mscotthall

Purchasing Race Wheels...advice? Pages: 1 2

Started by livestrong
Views: 3868 Posts: 42

2008-04-25 12:03 PM livestrong

Tri wetsuit - please assist w/purchase

Started by 1stTimeTri
Views: 1242 Posts: 5

2007-05-11 1:54 PM 1stTimeTri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
comments : 1
Well I said that I was not going to do it this season, but I cracked. I broke down and bought a new bike. I went out and bought a shiny new Cannondale road bike.