General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Innsbrook Octomax good for a first timer? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-26 7:19 AM

Subject: Innsbrook Octomax good for a first timer?
I was originally going to do the Lake St. Louis tri (sprint) but it got cancelled midway through the bike. Does anyone know if this a good tri to try? It seems awfully hilly and I am not a good runner. Plus, the run distance is almost 1 mile longer than the Lake STL and comes after a bike ride that is 4 miles longer.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2015-08-26 11:43 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Missouri
Subject: RE: Innsbrook Octomax good for a first timer?

I did this race in June - actually I did the duathlon but the bike and run course were the same as the sprint tri.  Are you considering doing the Club Nationals race in Sept or planning for the Octomax next year? The bike course for Sept is actually a little longer than the one I did in June - 19 mi vs 17 mi.  It is hilly with 4 bigger hills (challenging for me but I'm not a strong cyclist).  Most of the hills are within the resort - once you get out on the highway it's not so bad.  Trouble is, with the sprint, most of the bike course is within the resort.  The run is also pretty hilly but it's a nice run.  Starts and ends with a short run through the grass and on a trail but mostly it's a gravel road.  Pretty shaded so if it's a hot day like it was in June, it's not too bad.  I'll be there in Sept racing with the St Louis Tri Club and probably bringing up the rear.

Janet

Edited by soccermom15 2015-08-26 12:03 PM
2015-08-26 1:39 PM
in reply to: stipey169

User image

Kansas City, Missouri

I did this race last year, and it was my 4th sprint of the season.  The venue is beautiful and the lake you swim in is super clean. The bike course is pretty hilly in the resort, but the rest was nice newly-paved highway.  I remember it being a fairly long bike for a sprint course (18-19 miles if I remember right).  The run is brutal - there were several times where I felt like I was hiking up a mountain rather than running in a race (though the suffering was likely increased because I broke my toe in the run up the hill to transition after the swim...). The support/awards/post race food all top notch (except they didn't post results and I left before I realized that I got an AG award). 

Overall I think this is a doable race for your first time, but it is a tough course.  In hindsight I needed a lot more run fitness than I had.

2015-08-27 4:54 PM
in reply to: Danmartinids

Thanks Janet and DanM!

The run has me thinking I should probably skip this. I've never ran in my life until this year and after I did the couch to 5K program, I just kinda ran a couple of miles here and there and as a result I don't have a proper base (and no speed whatsoever). I did a simulated tri for the Lake STL (did the swim course twice, did the bike course, then tried to run) and the run didn't go so well...

I think I need to work on the running some more and aim to do a few sprint tri's next year. I'm also planning on doing the HIM-distance aqua bike at Innsbrook next year (I'm a former competitive swimmer and I've biked a lot as a hobby).

Good luck in the race Janet!

DanM - hope your toe has healed. I'm impressed you still ran after breaking your toe! I have a hard time imagining running the course on a perfectly healthy foot!

Thanks again for your responses!

Doug
2015-08-28 1:18 PM
in reply to: stipey169

User image

Chesterfield, Missouri
Sort of a side question - since the Sept races are "club nationals", is it mostly pretty serious triathletes?

Up until last week I was planning on signing up for the Olympic distance but I was feeling pretty intimidated by the "nationals" part since I am just a new, fairly slow, triathlete.
Then I went and broke a finger and the doctor tells me no swimming for 4 to 8 weeks. So, now I am just asking out of curiosity.
2015-08-31 10:03 AM
in reply to: DennisF6

User image

Expert
Missouri

Originally posted by DennisF6 Sort of a side question - since the Sept races are "club nationals", is it mostly pretty serious triathletes? Up until last week I was planning on signing up for the Olympic distance but I was feeling pretty intimidated by the "nationals" part since I am just a new, fairly slow, triathlete. Then I went and broke a finger and the doctor tells me no swimming for 4 to 8 weeks. So, now I am just asking out of curiosity.

I know for the St Louis Tri Club, we have quite a few members doing the race and we run the whole gamut between multiple-IM, serious triathletes (several went to the 70.3 world championships this past weekend) to members like me - recreational, sprint-only, slow triathletes.  I would think that overall the race would be the same (just guessing here though).  

Janet

2015-09-11 9:14 AM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Chesterfield, Missouri
Thanks for the info and good luck this weekend Janet!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Innsbrook Octomax good for a first timer? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

5i50 Innsbrook

Started by dprocket
Views: 3077 Posts: 11

2013-06-14 2:46 PM dprocket

First Time Tri

Started by doostas
Views: 2480 Posts: 10

2009-06-23 9:52 AM JenSTL

Good Races in MO

Started by ChrisR
Views: 1318 Posts: 3

2009-04-15 8:22 PM jcdenton2000

Innsbrook quartermax

Started by saintnick
Views: 2727 Posts: 7

2009-04-09 10:27 PM elizabethsparks2002

Innsbrook sept 15-16

Started by seamustim
Views: 1524 Posts: 12

2007-09-20 4:23 PM goobergirl98
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : April 9, 2010
author : Zen Master
comments : 24
All I can think about is, "How can I swim in this?" I can't sleep. I think I made a big mistake. I'm filling my head with fear and doubt. What made me think I could run a triathlon?
date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.