General Discussion Race Reports! » Towne Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Towne Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cypress, Texas
United States
Onurmark Race Productions
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 18m 42s
Overall Rank = 139/535
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 11/27
Pre-race routine:

Bar, coffee on drive to race. Had grapes between setting up transition and waiting for Sprint start (one hour after closing transition to let the Olympic swimmers finish).
Event warmup:

Ran one mile to warmup before swim start ten minutes later. VERY HOT day and very humid. 85 degrees by 9 am with 100% humidity. Brutal on the run.
Swim
  • 08m 58s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 14s / 100 meters
Comments:

Still surprised I won the swim in my age group. Was pretty straightforward and I did not push myself too hard cause I hate getting out of the water short of breath as it bugs me later on the bike and run. Just did my thing steadily. I started in the middle and to the outside of the group for the beach start and then promptly went wide on the outside to avoid everyone. Surprised how quickly I got ahead of lots of folks that way and then pretty streamlined to 200M mark at turnaround. Last 150M back was more troubling. I zig zagged some just to get around swimmers in the wave ahead of to me and avoided swimming over them.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 02m 52s
Comments:

Bike was a long way from swim exit but I mostly walked/trotted it as I wanted to catch my breath and trotted my bike out.

I can work on speeding this up but mostly need to realize I can catch my breath on the bike start and shave a minute here.
Bike
  • 33m 9s
  • 11.75 miles
  • 21.27 mile/hr
Comments:

Best cycle portion ever for me. New fit for ti bike worked out well. Frankly, could probably have gone harder and faster but (1) was above my goal of 20-21 already, and (2) wanted to protect myself for the run given past issues there.

Not much
Transition 2
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

Pretty standard for me. I did not run my bike into transition. Lots and lots of mud so was careful.

Nothing
Run
  • 31m 41s
  • 3.17 miles
  • 09m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

this was a very good run for me. But it was brutally hot. Had planned to be below 11 min/per mile pace. wanted to start at 11 min to get my heart rate settled but realized I was running more like ten per mile and was comfortable. But had to walk for 15-20 seconds each half mile or so to either catch my breath and get my HR below 170 and/or to grab water at miles 1 and 2. Drank half and dumped the other half over my head. But realizing I was well ahead of my planned pace gave me a lot of positive reinforcement and I could focus on my short pauses to then see pretty immediate results when i started running again and my pace quickly returned.

Nothing except keep training to be a stronger runner
Post race
Warm down:

None. Walked around to catch my breath then headed for shade for water and had a banana.

Event comments:

Very popular so very crowded and its almost always gonna be hot and humid.

Last updated: 2015-04-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:58 | 400 meters | 02m 14s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/27
Overall: 0/535
Performance: Good
Suit: one piece trip suit Castelli
Course: Out and back BUT beach start which was a first for me.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:52
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:33:09 | 11.75 miles | 21.27 mile/hr
Age Group: 14/27
160 average HR. No power data. FORGOT TO CALIBRATE AND PAIR THE POWER SENSOR BEFORE TRANSITION!!! Would have loved to see my power numbers but suspect they were in the average 190-200 range.
Wind: Little
Course: Somewhat convoluted square, far more than four turns. Very crowded with lots of passing but limited room to do it so lots more slowing and issues at turns than I expected.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:01
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:31:41 | 03.17 miles | 09m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/27
Average HR was 168 bpm. Average pace was 10:00 using the official times. My watch showed a shorter course and my overall pace was 10:15. First lap was about 10:10. Second 10:36 and last 10:05.
Course: Circuitous route around resort on paved sidewalks.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-09-08 1:37 PM

User image

Houston, Texas
Subject: Towne Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Towne Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Towne Lake Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by sawyer1206
Views: 975 Posts: 1

2015-07-27 1:42 PM sawyer1206

Towne Lake Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by g_shotts
Views: 1350 Posts: 1

2014-11-09 6:27 AM g_shotts

Memorial Hermann Houston Towne Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by strykergt
Views: 1546 Posts: 3

2013-09-05 3:51 PM PsyTri

Memorial Hermann Houston Towne Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by markyhopkins
Views: 1613 Posts: 1

2013-09-02 5:41 PM markyhopkins

Bonney Lake "Labor of Love" Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by briderdt
Views: 2165 Posts: 1

2010-09-07 9:37 AM briderdt
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.