General Discussion Race Reports! » Towne Lake Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Towne Lake Triathlon - Sprint Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cypress, Texas
United States
Onurmark Race Productions
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 35m 50s
Overall Rank = 397/589
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 29/43
Pre-race routine:

Since this was in our neighborhood my neighbor and I rode our bikes the 1 mile to the event. We got there with plenty of time left. While we were laying things out in transition we could already tell how bad the humidity would be during this race. 97% early in the morning and about 95% by race start. After transition we hung out at a tent, watched the Olympic start and then slowly got ready for our start.
Event warmup:

I still had issues with my stomach coming off a stomach flu from two days ago. Thankfully it was a lot better than Saturday though still had some mild discomfort and cramping in my stomach. Most of the muscle soreness was gone. With the humidity going on we didn't do much of a warmup as we were already sweating pretty badly just sitting and standing around. We figured we would be better off staying hydrated and preserve energy for the race
Swim
  • 16m 35s
  • 400 meters
  • 04m 09s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was really bad. After all the swimming I've been doing over the last 3 months this should have gone a lot better. My arms felt really heavy, I could never catch enough air and my heart rate sky rocketed way too fast and would not calm down. Only thing I can think is that that stomach flu from two days ago was still causing some issues. I had to switch to breaststroke way too often to catch air and also had to hang on a kayak once to calm down my heart rate. Also when actually doing freestyle I was going way off direction every time. Target time was better than 12 minutes so a little disappointing.
What would you do differently?:

Definitely need to work on straight line swimming in OWS as well as sighting. That did not go well.

As far as the breathing I'm not sure what actually happened, but between the humidity and the sickness I think that just knocked the air out of my lungs too quick.
Transition 1
  • 02m 50s
Comments:

Transition was fine. No issues. Took my time to get some extra fluids in before taking off.

Nothing
Bike
  • 36m 56s
  • 12 miles
  • 19.49 mile/hr
Comments:

This was the only thing that went well today. Faster than I anticipated and probably could have gone a little faster, but didn't want to push it too hard considering the heat and the sickness. Bike was very crowded as we ran into the Olympic guys still out there and considering there was almost 1500 athletes out there. I was constantly either passing someone or being passed, causing some slowdowns to make sure I wasn't drafting. At one point I also had to slow down as a cop almost made me stop to let a car pass.

Could have gone a little faster.
Transition 2
  • 02m 44s
Comments:

Again took some extra time to hydrate up in transition before going out on the run.
Run
  • 36m 42s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Humidity was a killer. I kind of knew that I would have to take some walking breaks given the heat, humidity and my stomach problems, but I didn't expect so many other people out there taking walking breaks. Seems like the heat got to everybody and did quite a number on everyone's running times.

Could have gone a little faster, but at that point I just wanted to make sure I finish and don't pass out due to the heat. Also wanted to make sure I don't overdo myself and be knocked out for a week with the stomach flu coming back with revenge after exhausting myself. Target time was 30 minutes. So off by quite a bit, but all things considered still ok.
Post race
Warm down:

Getting in water, Gatorade and some food

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Preceding stomach flu and heat/humidity. Also the warmer it is the more my residues from my Guillain-Barre seem to be flaring up causing muscle tingling and weakness.

Event comments:

Very well organized race. Bad timing with getting a stomach flu two days before the event. Weather conditions were horrible with the almost 100 % humidity. Overall an ok race all things considered.

Last updated: 2015-05-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:35 | 400 meters | 04m 09s / 100meters
Age Group: 38/43
Overall: 527/589
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Kind of an out and back mini loop.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:50
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:36:56 | 12 miles | 19.49 mile/hr
Age Group: 25/43
Overall: 260/589
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: Loop with all right turns
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:44
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:36:42 | 03.1 miles | 11m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 34/43
Overall: 402/589
Performance: Below average
Course: Loop where the first half went along the big lake and the second half along smaller little lakes. Very scenic, but no shade.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %2%
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2015-09-08 2:42 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: Towne Lake Triathlon - Sprint Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Towne Lake Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Towne Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by jhpeacock
Views: 799 Posts: 1

2015-09-08 1:37 PM jhpeacock

Towne Lake Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by sawyer1206
Views: 971 Posts: 1

2015-07-27 1:42 PM sawyer1206

Towne Lake Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by g_shotts
Views: 1344 Posts: 1

2014-11-09 6:27 AM g_shotts

Memorial Hermann Houston Towne Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by strykergt
Views: 1542 Posts: 3

2013-09-05 3:51 PM PsyTri

Memorial Hermann Houston Towne Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by markyhopkins
Views: 1608 Posts: 1

2013-09-02 5:41 PM markyhopkins
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : November 22, 2007
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.