Des Moines, Iowa
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 9/12
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Hardly slept all night, just a few 10-15 min patches here and there. Working overnight for the past 11 years makes night time sleeping almost impossible. Did my usual shower, dressed in my race gear, breakfast of a Cliff bar and V8 then headed out the door.
Event warmup:

This was my first time doing a tri as a relay set up. My friend would do the swim and I was to do the bike and run. I was so thankful not to have to swim, I'm so terrible at it.
Swim
  • 33m 42s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 15s / 100 meters
Comments:

Felt kinda odd waiting for my swimmer to exit the water. Seemed to take forever but in reality it was just a little over half an hour.
Transition 1
  • 02m 50s
Comments:

I grapped the chip from my swimmer, got it put on my leg then ran to my bike. From there I followed my usual race plan. I sat on the ground, got my socks and shoes on. Helmet and sun glasses on, bike off the rack then made my way to the bike course.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, felt good to NOT have to swim!
Bike
  • 1h 23m 31s
  • 40 kms
  • 28.74 km/hr
Comments:

Jumped on my bike and I was off!!! Going through the park I kept it in an easy gear and spun quickly but smoothly. Since I didn't swim I wanted to give my body a good warm up before I get to the road. Exited the park, dropped into my aero position, shifted gears and took off.

There was a nice tail wind for a bit but as soon as we hit the first turn around it was into a head wind. It wasen't to bad and kept up a good speed. Through Water Works Park was a beautiful and as smmoth as I remember it. I felt like I was gliding alone the pavement, even in the head wind sections it was a comfortable ride.

Before I knew it I was passing the 10 mile sign, I compeletly missed the 5 mile sign. I still felt great and was spinning smoothly. Up and down the hills mostly in a head wind slowed me down a bit but I was still managing to pass people while keeping my breathing and heart rate under control.

Hit the second turn around and enjoyed a steady tailwind most of the way back. For most of the last seven miles I played leap frog with another female. Soon we got into a rhythm that we coulden't help but laugh at. It went like this:

"Left"
"Yup"
3-4 min later
"Left"
"Yup"
3-4 min later
"Left"
Yup"

And on it went. Soon we where joking that we where going to do this for the run too. Afterall we where pushing each other and having fun doing it. However as we entered the part she was head of me and this is where the sprint folks merged in with the Olympic folks. I got caught behind a handful of sprint riders. So I had to content myself with just easily spinning my way through the last half mile or so.

Nothing! I remembered the #smoothisfast mantra which helped me greatly in managing the hills and headwinds combined.
Transition 2
  • 02m 6s
Comments:

Per my norm I walked with the bike to my spot. I try to use this time to get my legs ready to run. Got to my spot and again plopped down on the ground. Changed my shoes, helmet off and grapped my water bottle. It was still cold and the cool drink felt great after being out on the hot bike course.

Nothing.
Run
  • 1h 22m 39s
  • 10 kms
  • 08m 16s  min/km
Comments:

Excellent run! It was hot and no shade along the run. Saw a lot of people moving slowly like me but I still had a good time.

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Sat in the med tent for about 15 min until I got my breating under control. Once I felft better we made out way to the food and sat in the shade to relax.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing

Event comments:

I'm still not to sure about calling this an actual triathlon for me since I didn't do all three sports. That being said I'm still so happy I didn't have to swim!

Last updated: 2015-09-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:42 | 1500 meters | 02m 15s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/12
Performance:
Suit: no
Course: Kinda a werid part rectangle course.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:50
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:23:31 | 40 kms | 28.74 km/hr
Wind: Some
Course: An out and back course
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:06
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:22:39 | 10 kms | 08m 16s  min/km
Course: Just cleared transition when my friend met me and managed to snap a picture before yelling good luck wishes to me. It was kinda confusing with the 5k and 10 k runners going different routes and the paths not compeletly clearly marked. Got to mile 1 and still felt great. Was doing my intervals and running easily and smoothly. A little before mile 2 some poor guy came blasting past me asking everyone where the 5k route was. I felt sorry for him, he just ran an additional 2 miles for his sprint tri. The rest of the miles ticked by at an amazing speed. I took water at every aid station and dumped several cups over my head and down my neck and shoulder. Up to mile four it was just warm water but it felt great anyway. By mile 4 we had ice to dump and eat, and I still felt great. I was running my intervals but not pushing myself to much. By mile 5 I actually began to question if the course had been measured correctly. By far this was the smoothest Olympic run I've had. At the last bit it was an uphill run. I met my teammate and we sprinted up to the top and across the finish line. Right at the line I managed to pull together enrough energy to leap into the air and do a mid air side kick. Manged to land on my feet and promptly had an asthma attack!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2015-09-09 1:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Des Moines Triathlon

2015-09-10 12:23 PM
in reply to: #5139474

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: RE: Des Moines Triathlon
Nice work out there and "only" doing the bike and run is no picnic. I did that a couple years ago when the swim was cancelled. Relays are fun, I've been part of a couple of them. I love this race I hope they continue getting good support and sponsorships. Des Moines is such a fun city, the Farmers market was cool and we even went to the Zoo. Zombie burger = good post race food fest!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Des Moines Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Des Moines Triathlon

Started by stevemorey
Views: 988 Posts: 1

2015-09-06 8:45 PM stevemorey

Des Moines HyVee triathlon

Started by BigAirT
Views: 872 Posts: 1

2013-09-03 1:48 PM BigAirT

Des Moines Marathon

Started by freckle face
Views: 1928 Posts: 16

2007-10-25 4:33 PM LindaKC

Des Moines Marathon

Started by oipolloi
Views: 1516 Posts: 13

2007-10-31 3:23 AM KMac40

Des Moines IMT Half Marathon

Started by iabiker
Views: 997 Posts: 2

2005-09-30 2:37 PM oipolloi
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 2, 2007
author : douglasschaefer
comments : 5
A story of how a simple email one day can change your life forever.