Richmond Multisports
80'sF / 0C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 59m 52s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

didn't sleep well, woke up 6 or 7 times, finally got up ~5am, left for race from hotel shortly after 6am, had coffee and breakfast cookie in the car, 1/2 banana later, set up transition area, hung out with my hubby and my dog, looked for Jen (artemis) finally saw her, we were both nervous since this was our first Oly tri
Event warmup:

quick swim in the river, listened to pre race instructions, wished Jen good luck
Swim
  • 55m 17s
  • 1640 yards
  • 03m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started off strong, felt really good in the water, had to fight the current to get out to the first turn buoy (it took forever) lots of trouble staying on course, brest stroked way to much because I was having trouble staying on course with freestyle, rounded buoy and it was better, with current but into the chop, everytime I looked up to site I swallowed half the river, got down to the turn buoy going back to shore, I was still with a pretty good group of swimmers, started going back against the current and I just fell apart, I again was having trouble staying on course with freestyyle, reverted back to breast stroke, got very frustrated, felt like I was never going to get back to shore, started panicking a little bit, a jet ski guy came by and talked to me, I hung on to the jet ski for less than a minute, he convinced me to keep going; it's about as close as I have ever been to dropping out of a race, started swimming again following a silver (guy) and pink (gal) swim caps. Saw the pink cap in front of me stand up, so I did the same, looked over and saw it was Jen (artemis); we laughed and made our way the rest of the way to shore (walking was easier than swimming), made it to T1 and decided I was going to finish this race
What would you do differently?:

not get so frustrated, if I had kept at it I probably wouldn't have had such a bad swim; I let the strong current get to me, my husband saw many swimmers get pushed way off course on that last leg of the swim, many ended up far down river from the finish and had to walk up
Transition 1
  • 02m 45s
Comments:

I wasn't exactly hustling through T1, should have been quicker since I didn't have to take off a wetsuit, but I was still trying to get it together

move faster, I think I did beat jen out of T1 :)
Bike
  • 1h 42m 30s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 14.55 mile/hr
Comments:

this was the most challenging ride I have ever done, I have never climbed hills like these, had to walk up on steep hill because I couldn't shift right, I actually had fun with this course, would have liked to push a bit harder

get out of the flatlands an train on more hills, I did preview the course so at least they didn't catch me by surprise, I was pleased with my effort, need more practice downshifting more quickly
Transition 2
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

I stopped before the dismount line due to poor instructions, didn't really hustle into T2, got my bike racked, my run stuff, remembered my cytomax bottle which I forgot in my last tri, off I went
Run
  • 1h 14m
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

I didn't exactly burn up the pavement here, just going at a comfortable pace, tried to thank all the volunteers and motivate all the racers left on the course, finally saw Jen again on the run coourse; she was hanging tough

push a little harder, I can go faster, I was lackign motivation to push myself too hard
Post race
Warm down:

crossed the line, my first Oly completed, found my hubby and dog, saw Jen cross the line, had some barbecue, packed up and left

What limited your ability to perform faster:

the swim affected the rest of my race, I'm not sure hwy I let things get so out of control, I'm a fairly competent swimmer, I didn't expect that last part to be so hard, I'm glad I stuck with it and finished, the bike challenged me but I had fun, I had enough left in me to know I can make the half iron distance in October

Event comments:

This is a good race, but a tough course. I think it stays small because the swim is challenging and usually not wetsuit legal, I may come back next year and try it again

Last updated: 2006-05-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:55:17 | 1640 yards | 03m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit: none
Course: trapezoidal course, in and out swims were across/against the current, stright part was with the current/against the chop
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:45
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:42:30 | 24.85 miles | 14.55 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: very hilly, one big loop on mostly country roads, a few sharp turns and steep climbs
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Below average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:30
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:14:00 | 06.21 miles | 11m 55s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: out and back course, flat and hot, at least it was mostly overcast, aid stations every 1 to 1 1/2 miles
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-08-29 7:19 PM

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: Naylor's Beach Triathlon

2006-08-29 8:09 PM
in reply to: #526277

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Naylor's Beach Triathlon
Way to perserve thru the swim SUe   Great job on your first oly!!! You beat my run time by about a mile!!! Take care -SMO
2006-08-29 9:25 PM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL
Way to hang in there Sue!! Sounds like a difficult race, but you did very well!!  The hills are warmup for Clermont!! 
2006-08-30 6:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Congrats on finishing your first oly! That sounds like a really tough race course! You came back with a great bike and run time despite such a tough swim. Good luck with the 1/2 marathon this weekend!
2006-08-30 7:27 AM

User image

Expert
New Orleans
Great job Sue! Way to hang in and finish the race. Oly distance is no joke, but you handled it great. Way to go!

Edited by jjweav 2006-08-30 7:28 AM
2006-08-30 7:36 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Sue,

Congrats on doing your first Oly!

Wow...very difficult course...swim w/o wetsuit in a current, very hilly...you know how to pick a first one that is super challenging!

This will make you tougher and the next one you'll think wow this was so much easier. Come up next year for Cranberry...

I'm so proud of you for pushing your negative thoughts out of your mind and finishing. Sort of reminds me of my first Oly...walked the bike up the nasty hills, was DFL out of the water, well DFL the whole way...but it  made me stronger and more determined to get better this year.

Congrats....you percervered when it was tough.

Edited by KathyG 2006-08-30 7:40 AM

2006-08-30 8:09 AM

Champion

Way  to  go on finishing your first OLY Sue!  Lots of people might have quit after having a  rough swim, so you get high marks for hanging in there and pushing on.  I'm sure Jen was glad that you were there for support too, it makes it easier when you're suffering along with someone else!  The next one will be a lot less stressful now that you've got it under your belt!!!

Edited by max 2006-08-30 8:10 AM
2006-08-31 5:29 AM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431

hey Sue,

sometimes finishing a tough race is much more impressive and rewarding than a smoking fast swim split, or bike split, or run split.  When those "I'm not gonna finish this" thoughts start creeping in it can take everything you've got to kep going.  And that's what sets us apart from the rest of the population if you ask me.  We set out to finish a task (the race) and do it regardless of what is thrown at us. 

So, no matter what you think of your performance, let me tell you, it totally kicks azz!  You shoudl be more than proud of yourself, and maybe next year the river will behave  LOL

2006-08-31 1:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA

Hey Sue - way to go on pushing through.  That is the true test of strength.  You will always remember this race and know that you didn't quit.  I am super impressed!  Great job!

Kelly

2006-08-31 1:20 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Great job, Sue!!!  It was a challenging course, but we made it through!  I'm so glad I got to meet you.  Meeting up with you at the end of the swim was great - you helped me keep going.  Yes, you beat me out of T1.    I was trying to get socks on forever and not fall over after that swim.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Naylor's Beach Triathlon Rss Feed