General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dogs at Race Venues Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-12 8:25 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Dogs at Race Venues
Wasn't sure if I was at tri this morning or the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show. I don't understand why so many people find it necessary to bring their dogs to races. I get that they love their dogs and they're "part of the family" but I don't think they need to be at races which can be chaotic at times. Granted most are fairly well behaved but invariably dogs will be dogs and fights break out if only verbal altercations complete with incessant, loud and annoying barking. There are also many people who are not comfortable with dogs sniffing and engaging them. To me it's about respect and consideration. Your desire to bring your dog should not infringe on my desire to not be accosted by said dog. Do everyone a favor and leave Rover at home or with a sitter. I too am a dog owner and wouldn't dream of bringing her to a race or similar event.

2015-09-12 8:35 PM
in reply to: CBess

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Dogs at Race Venues
OTOH my mother might then stop coming to my events. This is pretty much her motivation for attending tris--"There will be so many cute dogs there." It gets her through 2-6 hour waits as she gets to make friends with every pooch at the venue. I swear she is Ceasar Milan's twin separated at birth. Maybe she should open a doggy day care area (enclosed) at events.
2015-09-12 9:20 PM
in reply to: #5140363

, Ontario
I'd be happy if dog owners would either leave them at home or keep them under control. My daughter is allergic to hairy animals. I'd be rich if I got money every time I heard fro, dog owners that their dog is friendly or hypoallergenic in response to my daughters screams when she was younger or my request that they keep the dog on leash or back from her. My daughter reacts to any dog , hypoallergenic Or not. I think dog owners should be responsible and keep their dogs at home or under control - away from other dogs, from transition, etc
2015-09-12 9:57 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Originally posted by CarolynS

I'd be happy if dog owners would either leave them at home or keep them under control. My daughter is allergic to hairy animals. I'd be rich if I got money every time I heard fro, dog owners that their dog is friendly or hypoallergenic in response to my daughters screams when she was younger or my request that they keep the dog on leash or back from her. My daughter reacts to any dog , hypoallergenic Or not. I think dog owners should be responsible and keep their dogs at home or under control - away from other dogs, from transition, etc

AMEN!!!!!!!

I have allergy induced asthma and have to avoid animals. I loathe the pocket fisherman leashes that people use on their dogs, the owners always seem to think its just adorable when their flea bag jumps up all over me while cheerful explaining that their dog is just being friendly. Extra bonus points are awarded when I am wearing my wetsuit at the beach - a beach that is clearly marked no dogs allowed.

Edited by DaveL 2015-09-12 9:57 PM
2015-09-13 8:42 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I feel the same way about young children.

2015-09-13 9:06 AM
in reply to: #5140363

User image

Expert
+%×%×£÷@ I have kids and a dog, best just race Cyclocross from now on

2015-09-13 11:22 AM
in reply to: magic

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
I participated in Ragnar Angel Fire a couple weeks ago. Ranger posted all over the web site, on FB and in emails to leave pets at home. Sure enough, there were dogs there. I was also tripped by a retractable leash doing Rock n Roll Denver a couple years ago. I love dogs, have three, two of them run with me, they don't belong at races, unless the race is specifically pet friendly.
2015-09-13 11:36 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

Originally posted by rrrunner

I participated in Ragnar Angel Fire a couple weeks ago. Ranger posted all over the web site, on FB and in emails to leave pets at home. Sure enough, there were dogs there. I was also tripped by a retractable leash doing Rock n Roll Denver a couple years ago. I love dogs, have three, two of them run with me, they don't belong at races, unless the race is specifically pet friendly.

agree. I love dogs, but dogs need to STAY HOME on race day. The dude cussing everyone out for saying please don't bring your dog is the kind of guy who thinks everyone should be subjected to his lifestyle choices, and is always the guy with the ill behaved animals (and children). I too have been tripped during a race by a dog that was not under control. Just this morning I was walking my dog and some idiot with a retractable leash let his dog come across the street, that I had crossed to avoid his dog, and get in my dog's face although both dogs were snarling at one another. My sister's daughter was literally scalped by a dog when she was little because some jack thought his dog was good around kids and should be at a community picnic. Lots of kids running and screaming and the dog got worked up and grabbed the little girls head and shook her like some prey. You may think you know your dog, but it is still an animal and lots of unknown people is a high stress situation for a dog. LEAVE THEM HOME. Your complete disregard for the safety of others and the happiness of your pet is disgusting. If your mother won't come without the dog, well, then she needs to stay home too.
2015-09-13 11:39 AM

User image

Pro

I will bring my dog everywhere.  To races, festivals, ballgames, wherever she is allowed.  We only stay in hotels that allow dogs (you'd be surprised how many do). I don't actually consider her part of our family....she's our dog, and she knows her place with us. I don't like people with unruly, untrained dogs either, but I'm not leaving my hound at home just because of those folks. (but I have to admit, I even like those folks more than people who don't like dogs)  I've had people tell me, "your dog doesn't belong here" at places where she is perfectly allowed and is of no bother to anyone.........that's always pretty funny. 

2015-09-13 2:32 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Originally posted by Left Brain

I don't actually consider her part of our family....she's our dog, and she knows her place with us. I don't like people with unruly, untrained dogs either, but I'm not leaving my hound at home just because of those folks. (but I have to admit, I even like those folks more than people who don't like dogs)  I've had people tell me, "your dog doesn't belong here" at places where she is perfectly allowed and is of no bother to anyone.........that's always pretty funny. 

As the owner of a retriever who is trained to behave when around strangers, I've wrestled with the "bring him vs leave him home" question. I finally decided to leave him home mostly because I've seen far too many dog owners who can't or won't control their dogs. I don't want to have to worry about what some visiting mutt is up to when it approaches us. The other issue is that many people are either very skittish around dogs (often with good reasons as noted here), or else WAY too friendly when they approach us. They assume that since he is a retriever, he will want to frolic with their kids just like they've seen on the dog food commercials.

Bottom line is I have enough to worry about on race day, so Bo stays home. Its too bad really, cause he'd be a great help doing the swim leg in a relay.
2015-09-13 2:48 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by DJP_19

I don't actually consider her part of our family....she's our dog, and she knows her place with us. I don't like people with unruly, untrained dogs either, but I'm not leaving my hound at home just because of those folks. (but I have to admit, I even like those folks more than people who don't like dogs)  I've had people tell me, "your dog doesn't belong here" at places where she is perfectly allowed and is of no bother to anyone.........that's always pretty funny. 

As the owner of a retriever who is trained to behave when around strangers, I've wrestled with the "bring him vs leave him home" question. I finally decided to leave him home mostly because I've seen far too many dog owners who can't or won't control their dogs. I don't want to have to worry about what some visiting mutt is up to when it approaches us. The other issue is that many people are either very skittish around dogs (often with good reasons as noted here), or else WAY too friendly when they approach us. They assume that since he is a retriever, he will want to frolic with their kids just like they've seen on the dog food commercials. Bottom line is I have enough to worry about on race day, so Bo stays home. Its too bad really, cause he'd be a great help doing the swim leg in a relay.

Mine's a retriever as well, black Lab.  She's 9 now, but in her day (and possibly mine too) I trained her, and others, to HRC Champions.  I didn't used to take her everywhere because she got to hunt/train all the time, so she got out plenty.  These days, when I'm so busy with 3 teenagers, I rarely hunt, so she's my buddy and if I leave she wants to go.....which is good with me.  She's well trained to stay at my side, and she does, especially now that she is getting some years on her.  Sometimes, when I see an overly enthusiastic dog owner (with the always overly enthusiastic dog) approaching with their dog I'll point to mine and say, "she'll bite".....that takes care of it.   Other times, especially when I can sense that a dog is well trained, I'll let them say hello.  I can't say I've ever had an issue with her in a crowd, but I've had issues with people who just don't want dogs around.  I don't mind much since I don't like those folks anyway and therefore never feel the need to be polite.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-09-13 2:50 PM

2015-09-13 4:15 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
While I never bring our dogs to the races, I'm always happy to have other people's hounds around at the end of an event. Nothing like a little dog therapy to help me decompress.
2015-09-14 9:00 AM
in reply to: alltom1

User image

I don't bring our dogs to races, but I like it when other people do. I have never seen a dog fight break out. I have seen humans fighting, but not dogs. The dogs I see at races are always well socialized, although I do remember one lab who was getting impatient waiting for his turn to swim. I typically ask the owner if I can scratch the dog for luck because it helps with pre-race jitters.
2015-09-14 11:54 AM

User image

Farmington, Connecticut

I didn't used to take her everywhere because she got to hunt/train all the time, so she got out plenty.  .......

• My Lab gets plenty of work at 3 years old. My son is a waterfowl hunting guide, so missing a race day trip with Dad is no biggie.
    2015-09-14 12:03 PM
    in reply to: DJP_19

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Left Brain I didn't used to take her everywhere because she got to hunt/train all the time, so she got out plenty.  ....... ......... 
    My Lab gets plenty of work at 3 years old. My son is a waterfowl hunting guide, so missing a race day trip with Dad is no biggie.

hmmmmm......maybe we should trade hunts.  East Coast hunt for an Arkansas green timber hunt?

2015-09-14 2:31 PM

User image

Farmington, Connecticut

Originally posted by Left Brain I didn't used to take her everywhere because she got to hunt/train all the time, so she got out plenty.  ....... ......... 
    My Lab gets plenty of work at 3 years old. My son is a waterfowl hunting guide, so missing a race day trip with Dad is no biggie.

hmmmmm......maybe we should trade hunts.  East Coast hunt for an Arkansas green timber hunt?

Might be worth a conversation when my son and dog return home. They are currently guiding in St Lawrence County, NY, then on to Saskatchewan, returning in late October.

2015-09-15 4:46 AM

User image

Veteran
    Newcastle, England

I take my dog (a 6yr old lab) everywhere, even when racing across Europe - to be blunt she has more scene than most spectators and is better behaved than most kids 

2015-09-15 5:49 AM
    in reply to: gotbitten

User image

Master
    Eugene, Oregon
    Bronze member
    Just to clarify and clear my mother's name here, she doesn't have a dog (we've never lived in a place with a big yard, and she likes big dogs), and hasn't had one since her high school years, and if we did have a dog, we wouldn't bring it to a triathlon. I too have had my share of run-ins with dogs, fortunately not while racing. In Vietnam, have actually had FARM ANIMALS (from chickens to full-on buffalo) on course while racing.

She's just a dog magnet and enjoys making friends with other people's dogs. Was just saying that in jest. But from the depth of passion here, perhaps she should offer dog-sitting services during my events!
    2015-09-15 8:02 AM
    in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Hot Runner Just to clarify and clear my mother's name here, she doesn't have a dog (we've never lived in a place with a big yard, and she likes big dogs), and hasn't had one since her high school years, and if we did have a dog, we wouldn't bring it to a triathlon. I too have had my share of run-ins with dogs, fortunately not while racing. In Vietnam, have actually had FARM ANIMALS (from chickens to full-on buffalo) on course while racing. She's just a dog magnet and enjoys making friends with other people's dogs. Was just saying that in jest. But from the depth of passion here, perhaps she should offer dog-sitting services during my events!

If she does that I would be willing to promise not to bring my buffalo to any more events.

2015-09-16 8:43 AM

User image

Birmingham, Alabama
    I would bring my dog, but he'd slow me down on the bike and swim.

All kidding aside, I'm glad this is such a serious problem for some people. It's proof that life is really not that bad for them.
    2015-09-16 1:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Greenwood, South Carolina

My wife brings our English bulldog and they sit out of the way from the athletes and families. Majority of people make their way over to my dog to pet and love on the her. They both have chairs to set on. The races can get boring for our families at races and I am not going to tell my wife to leave the dog at home. I had eight races this year and seen plenty of dogs with their owners. No issues.

Sorry you had a bad experience but don't think it is fair to call out band for all dogs at races.

I had more issues with people walking into bike or run paths without looking than any animals.

2015-09-16 1:31 PM
    in reply to: GODAWGS

User image

Master
    Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by GODAWGS My wife brings our English bulldog and they sit out of the way from the athletes and families. Majority of people make their way over to my dog to pet and love on the her. They both have chairs to set on. The races can get boring for our families at races and I am not going to tell my wife to leave the dog at home. I had eight races this year and seen plenty of dogs with their owners. No issues. Sorry you had a bad experience but don't think it is fair to call out band for all dogs at races. I had more issues with people walking into bike or run paths without looking than any animals.

Yeah, I've had my share of that too. Quite frankly if all dogs at races were as well behaved as those described here we'd have no problems. But they're not. Apparently everyone thinks their dog is ok. As for no dog fights at races, i saw an "altercation" between dogs at Pikes Peak Ascent and another at Ragnar (my last two races).

In regards to the comment about this being a "serious issue" for some people.... pretty sure we're just discussing it. I don't know that it's a major life problem for anyone posting. 

2015-09-16 2:31 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by GODAWGS My wife brings our English bulldog and they sit out of the way from the athletes and families. Majority of people make their way over to my dog to pet and love on the her. They both have chairs to set on. The races can get boring for our families at races and I am not going to tell my wife to leave the dog at home. I had eight races this year and seen plenty of dogs with their owners. No issues. Sorry you had a bad experience but don't think it is fair to call out band for all dogs at races. I had more issues with people walking into bike or run paths without looking than any animals.

Yeah, I've had my share of that too. Quite frankly if all dogs at races were as well behaved as those described here we'd have no problems. But they're not. Apparently everyone thinks their dog is ok. As for no dog fights at races, i saw an "altercation" between dogs at Pikes Peak Ascent and another at Ragnar (my last two races).

In regards to the comment about this being a "serious issue" for some people.... pretty sure we're just discussing it. I don't know that it's a major life problem for anyone posting. 

Dogs out West are just naturally unfriendly.

2015-09-16 3:16 PM

User image

Master
    Rio Rancho, NM

Dogs out West are just naturally unfriendly.

New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dogs at Race Venues Rss Feed