General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Thank your volunteers! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-09-14 7:40 AM

User image

New user
madison, Wisconsin
Subject: Thank your volunteers!
Coming of my high of IMWI as a volunteer. I was in the bike check on Saturday and it was really fun to see all of the nervous energy in the racers.
Yesterday I went to my usual corner to spectate the run and noticed that they were short-handed with volunteers so I pulled off my sweatshirt (to reveal my volunteer shirt) and worked the busy corner with the one other volunteer. I ended up being out there for 5 hours (which I would have been anyway). But what I found very interesting is that, as I stood clapping non-stop, and cheering non-stop, I can count on one hand the number of people that said thanks.
Don't get me wrong, gratitude is obviously not the reason I volunteer. But, on the flip side, when I'm racing, I yell a "thank you" to every volunteer I see. Simply because I know what they gave up to give me a safe corner, or hand me water, etc. and getting nothing in return.
So file that in the back of your head. Please just say thanks to every volunteer you see. Especially if you are suffering, it will a) help you forget that you are suffering and b) make a bigger impact on those that you thanked.
*stepping off of soapbox.

2015-09-14 12:52 PM
in reply to: pwoolson

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Thank your volunteers!

I volunteered at a sprint this weekend. (Last year I volunteered and raced this one.)

I was not so much dissappointed by the lack of thank you's on the course (only by those I knew) but more by the rudeness of the athletes at packet pickup.  I was working with a non-triathlete and was embarrassed by the reactions we were getting from some of the athletes when we asked them for ID and their USAT card.  Seriously, I don't know that I've done many races (tri or run) that don't ask for ID and all USAT sanctioned races ask to see the USAT card and yet we were getting some pretty rude reactions.

We were also getting some pretty rude comments if we'd run out of the size shirt they wanted.  Yes, I'm sure they don't all have a gazillion race shirts already. 

One lady, who was NOT standing in the organized line snapped "Am I invisible?!" when we didn't assist her. Quite frankly we were quite busy and I didn't see her because she was not where the line was. 

Seriously, I thought we all do this for fun?!?!?!!?!?!?!?

2015-09-14 12:57 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Seattle

Weird. I've always witnessed pretty gracious athletes.

One thing though, when I volunteer I definitely don't expect thanks while on course. I know as an athlete, competing, it's not on my priority list during the event. Afterward, however, I personally do make an effort.

2015-09-14 12:59 PM
in reply to: pwoolson

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Salty I've always thought of triathletes as a friendly bunch, that is why I was so surprised, and embarrassed by their reactions.

2015-09-14 1:12 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

I had a chance to hear some comments from a guy who does all of the ground work for a major timing company here.  In fact, he's the guy sitting at the console during events.  His words were that triathletes were the biggest d-bags of any participants in any event.  He went on to say they were "self-entitled, self-important, and thought they were some kind of special." He said they were rude, degrading, and not worth the trouble.  He also said that it certainly didn't apply to everyone doing triathlon, but that he felt like it was a majority and would be fine, personally, to never have to deal with them.  We don't do many local races anymore so I found his comments interesting and certainly in line with the 2nd commentor on this threads experience.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-09-14 1:19 PM
2015-09-14 3:07 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Originally posted by Left Brain

I had a chance to hear some comments from a guy who does all of the ground work for a major timing company here.  In fact, he's the guy sitting at the console during events.  His words were that triathletes were the biggest d-bags of any participants in any event.  He went on to say they were "self-entitled, self-important, and thought they were some kind of special." He said they were rude, degrading, and not worth the trouble.  He also said that it certainly didn't apply to everyone doing triathlon, but that he felt like it was a majority and would be fine, personally, to never have to deal with them.  We don't do many local races anymore so I found his comments interesting and certainly in line with the 2nd commentor on this threads experience.

I actually see the reverse at a lot of races, at least on the course.  People saying thank you and such.  Packet pick up I've never noticed much but it could go on for all I know.  With regards to timing I can see it and have seen it.  Not excusing it but I think part of it comes from when results aren't being posted until the end.  This seems to have become more of an issue with some races now pretty much having instant results on tablets or screens.  Then some smaller races which post a print out.  Ironically until reading your post LB always thought it was the reverse.  The timing guys were the jerk offs.   I've asked twice in 7 years if I could find out my results since I needed to get going.  Pretty politely I will also add.  Both times I was snapped at and walked away thinking clowns.  Now I have a little more insight.

2015-09-14 3:11 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

I actually see the reverse at a lot of races, at least on the course.  People saying thank you and such.  Packet pick up I've never noticed much but it could go on for all I know.  With regards to timing I can see it and have seen it.  Not excusing it but I think part of it comes from when results aren't being posted until the end.  This seems to have become more of an issue with some races now pretty much having instant results on tablets or screens.  Then some smaller races which post a print out.  Ironically until reading your post LB always thought it was the reverse.  The timing guys were the jerk offs.   I've asked twice in 7 years if I could find out my results since I needed to get going.  Pretty politely I will also add.  Both times I was snapped at and walked away thinking clowns.  Now I have a little more insight.

I don't really have any idea and was kind of surprised too.( maybe everyone is just pissed off that their Sunday is taken up either racing or working - LMAO )  I just thought It was interesting that I had just heard that comment last week and then I saw the post here about it. 

2015-09-14 4:01 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by rrrunner

Salty I've always thought of triathletes as a friendly bunch, that is why I was so surprised, and embarrassed by their reactions.

If you were volunteering, would you expect thank-yous from all participants during the race? 

2015-09-14 4:13 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

I try to thank volunteers, but there is no way I thank everyone I pass (I can barely utter recognizable words when I'm running).  I have volunteered in several different capacities and never expect to hear thank you. 

2015-09-14 4:35 PM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

That's awful. I think those select athletes should be reminded that volunteers are volunteering their time and energy for the benefit of the athletes. Like others have said, I also don't expect a thank you when I volunteer because I know what it feels like to be out of breath as an athlete, but I'd never be rude to a volunteer. I did however have a volunteer yell at me rather rudely once about not going back into transition after I'd already left, and I could have snapped back at her but whatever. Life's too short, and I understand how hectic the logistics can get so they're under a lot of stress. Like rrrunner said, it's supposed to be FUN!

2015-09-14 6:30 PM
in reply to: #5140555

User image

Fort Madison, Iowa
Thank you for volunteering!

I always want to say thank you to the every volunteer I see and even fans that are cheering for me. Sometimes that is difficult for me because of crowds, noise, distance, or that I am simply too gased to form words.

At the very least I try very hard to not be rude in any way and make an extra effort to say thank you to volunteers I directly intwract with like someone who hands be a cup of water.

I know most athletes are not perfect, but I think in general the vast majority appreciate the volunteers even if we don't say it often enough.

2015-09-14 6:55 PM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Originally posted by trijamie

That's awful. I think those select athletes should be reminded that volunteers are volunteering their time and energy for the benefit of the athletes. 

Keep in mind that the major timing company guy is not volunteering and is viewing the participants from a different perspective.  He has to deal with people whose time didn't start or didn't stop, people who swear by their Garmin watch that the time was incorrect, people who lost their timing chips and are miffed that they have to pay for a replacement, etc.

2015-09-14 7:32 PM
in reply to: #5140789

, Ontario
Thank you for the reminder. The announcer at my race on the weekend reminded the crowd and I tried to thank everyone I could (when my breath allowed). It particularly hit home to me when I watched a truck run through an intersection and almost over the police officer trying to direct traffic that it isn't a fun job for many of those making our dream day - a triathlon - come true. If it wasn't for volunteers, police, race results folks and race directors and co, we wouldn't have tris to do
2015-09-15 2:44 AM
in reply to: CarolynS

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
I have noticed that triathletes seem to thank volunteers far more than those in the straight run events that I have done.

To me this is a bit of a reflection on society as a whole really. Next time you are in public or at work take note of how many adults actually say please or thank you for anything (do you). The numbers are very few.

I work in schools where the students are expected to use their manners and they mostly do. Unfortunately the adults that I work with generally do not. I have actually said more than once to adults "you forgot the magic word" (a phrase that my mum said a lot when we were kids). It generally gets met with a nervous giggle and a "please" or "thank you". If we expect children to use their manners why don't we expect adults?
2015-09-15 8:51 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

Not only is thanking the volunteers a good idea, but it was the one thing that got me through my first tri. When I thanked the person at the first water station on the run (mile 1 of 6.1) I got a word of encouragement back, which lifted me up. I kept thanking volunteers at turns and other aid stations, and was met with kindness in return, all of which really boosted my spirits (which were pretty low by the time i got to the run).

It's a great idea, and some folks might be surprised that it actually improves their mental attitude and performance.
2015-09-15 9:04 AM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

I've been there. Two weekends ago, I finished my Oly, went back in the lake to cool down, had some water/banana, packed up my stuff and then checked the print outs. The top 4 in my age group had final times posted, but the other 5 (me included) only showed swim and bike times. I'm not too proud to admit I was pissed because somehow I was listed last of the 9 in my age/gender. I couldn't figure out why. My swim/bike/T1/T2 times were not the slowest. I was not alphabetically last. I was not last by bib number. There was something in my brain that just did not like seeing my name listed last, even though it meant "nothing" as the final times were not yet updated. It took a lot of resolve to walk away and not go ask for an updated print out.

Always a good thing to remember how frayed your nerves are and how it could affect others. Before the race started, I made a point to tell my wife anything "rude" I may say immediately after the race - I don't mean it. When I crossed the finish line, I grabbed my medal and went to go take my shoes off so i could go in the lake to cool down. They were double knotted, and since I am a habitual finger nail biter, I was struggling. She kept asking "what do you need" and I was ignoring her. Finally I just gave that helpless look and said "I just need my damn shoes off." She laughed and watched me just rip them off and run in the water. I came out of the water to find them untied. She gets me.

2015-09-15 10:59 AM

I also was volunteering at IMWI at a bike aid station and I had the opposite experience. Tons of racers said thanks and I'd always yell encouragement back to them. It was an amazing experience.
2015-09-15 1:27 PM

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

I will join those saying that my experience is exactly opposite of the negative experiences discussed in the first couple of posts in this thread. I have been involved in triathlon for about 10 years-- both as a participant and a volunteer. I have never had a bad experience with another athlete, everyone has been either positive or just doing their own thing and focusing on their race. 

While volunteering, I've been thanked A LOT. My favorite story was from IMCDA this year. On race day a friend and I were walking around after our shifts, during the race, and the wife of one of the athletes out on the course approached us (in our volunteer gear) and thanked us for volunteering and we chatted a while about her hubby. It was pretty cool.

2015-09-15 1:56 PM
in reply to: zed707

User image

I try and say thank you to as many people as possible and even when I'm feeling really unpleasant I can still manage eye contact and a crooked smile.  It's not an entirely selfless act either - you tend to get a smile or a word of encouragement back and that can be just the boost you need sometimes.

We all know that some people doing the organised and supported training sessions that most triathlons are think they're some sort of of uber athlete and it attracts type a d-bags so I'm not surprised to read this unfortunately.  It makes it even more important that the rest of us try and make up for it.

I volunteer when I'm injured and rehabbing as it helps keep me connected to the sport and rehabbing - I don't really care if I don't get thanked, especially if I'm near the end of the race where people are hurting but there are probably lots of volunteers who aren't athletes and don't really understand what you're going through so perhaps some race directors could mention that to them too.  It all goes both way, as most things in life.

2015-09-15 4:02 PM
in reply to: Dan-L

User image

Seattle

I've been thinking about this thread.

TJ had mentioned something about the fact we do this for fun. Well, for me, sort of. I train for a lot of reasons and fun is part of it! But when I race, it's for competition. Not that I don't enjoy elements of racing but the intent is to go all out for the specific distance. 

I thank volunteers pre and post race as I interact with them and I would certainly do my best to not be rude to them when I am racing but it is unlikely I am going to thank a volunteer during a really hard race. I'm trying to imagine thanking say, the lap counter, in a 10K track race every time I go by. Or every single volunteer that hands me water or food during a marathon. If you miss thanking one, they might be the one complaining that people didn't thank them. 

I appreciate and respect that people take time out of their day. Absolutely. And having volunteered many times, I know what it means to be there. I haven't quite figured out what the general consensus is in the thread for reasonable behavior from athletes. But I would hope that when you volunteer, you understand that many of the people are out there trying to perform their very best and to give them at least a little slack. And even better yet, I bet the very best thing you could do would be to volunteer at an event or two yourself.

Of course no one ever deserves to be insulted or for someone to be downright rude and I am definitely not supporting that.

2015-09-15 5:34 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

I think it's the last part of your reply, being rude. I don't believe anyone expects people to thank everyone or anything like that. It's more about being polite, respectful or just not rude.

2015-09-15 6:53 PM
in reply to: 0

, Idaho
Interesting thread

The best vibes I've ever got from other racers, in any type of race event I've done, has been during triathlons. In fact, the most times I've ever heard racers say thank you so much to volunteers has been during triathlons. When I competed in my first tri, I was shocked that so many other racers were talking to me on the course and encouraging be. Just awesome! I love chatting with people while setting up transition and helping each other out. A couple of months ago I was at an oly with about 2000 competitors. I wasn't able to set up until race morning...it was first come first serve set up...a couple of ladies saw me searching for a spot for my bike...they yelled me over and moved their bikes to help me out. I love talking to other racers and helping each other learn the ropes. These are huge reasons I think triathlon is second to none.

NOW on the other end of the spectrum: I have to say that the rudest, most arrogant racers I've ever met have been during a triathlon...by 1000%. I'm appalled and shocked sometimes by the attitudes and actions of some triathletes. Most are awesome/kind/amazing/etc...But if you want to find the winner for "D-BAG OF THE YEAR," go to a triathlon. A couple of years ago I was at a sprint where the 3rd place finisher (M50-55) yelled at a 20 some year old gal who was doing her first tri, because she was infringing on his space in Transition before the race. He took her bike and threw it on the ground. She took her bike and sheepishly moved it to a different area. I tried to be nice and tell him that there was room for everyone, but he said "I can do whatever the hell I want." It took me a couple weeks to decide that I ever wanted to do a triathlon again.

Edited by d.wilk 2015-09-15 6:53 PM
2015-09-15 7:01 PM
in reply to: d.wilk

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by d.wilk He took her bike and threw it on the ground. She took her bike and sheepishly moved it to a different area. I tried to be nice and tell him that there was room for everyone, but he said "I can do whatever the hell I want."

What!!? Jeepers, I've never been in a fight before, but that would have tempted me. How was that guy even allowed to race after doing that.

2015-09-15 8:03 PM
in reply to: d.wilk

User image

Pro

Originally posted by d.wilk yelled at a 20 some year old gal who was doing her first tri, because she was infringing on his space in Transition before the race. He took her bike and threw it on the ground. .

Oh man......at the great risk of sounding like some internet tough guy, I would have lost my mind.  I have references.

2015-09-15 9:24 PM

Sarasota, Florida
That sounds like one of those things that would be funny in a movie, but not cool at all to witness in real life.

I'm glad this thread was posted, because leaving my last race I kind of felt rude.

Cycling around a corner after getting passed by a pack and hearing the crowds cheering and making noise for them, I came straggling behind and one guy rang his cowbell for me, and I had to thank him. It was just funny hearing crowds erupt, then a single cowbell ring and cheer as I made my way around.

Near the end of the race I had my game face on and felt like I was rude to volunteers and sponsors by snatching things out of their hands and not even acknowledging them. My wife often has to improve my social interactions to say please and you're welcome more often since I don't really see omitting these on occasion as being rude.I guess I kind of view these things more as lip service and fluff where actions prove enough but I feel like this habit was worse by the end.

Regardless, I made a mental note to show more appreciation during my next one no matter how zoned in I get. Having attended the event alone, it was nice having volunteers there and those helping hands were just as memorable as the medal and shirt.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Thank your volunteers! Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Open thanks to volunteers...

Started by mchughmtsinai
Views: 522 Posts: 3

2014-09-29 7:10 AM happyscientist

Thanks to all VOLUNTEERS

Started by davidson3
Views: 528 Posts: 1

2009-09-01 1:13 AM davidson3

Volunteering- rules regarding the "karma of volunteering"

Started by joelkratzer
Views: 1068 Posts: 8

2007-03-28 4:19 PM coachese

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU BT

Started by lynda
Views: 964 Posts: 5

2005-03-12 10:33 PM Joe M

Any Volunteers?

Started by heatheryan
Views: 882 Posts: 8

2004-05-29 12:37 PM dhlundblad
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 5, 2008
author : lmscozz
comments : 4
My experience as a volunteer at a sprint triathlon. My reasons for arising before the sun were not to work out, but to volunteer. I wanted to give back to a sport I’m learning to love.

date : February 8, 2007
author : mscotthall
comments : 0
Everyone and anyone that has ever raced in a triathlon should take it upon themselves to volunteer at just one event next season. It is an eye-opening and inspirational experience.
date : January 29, 2006
author : Team BT
comments : 0
I started the Beginner Triathlete training program in earnest after Chinese New Year. I viewed the distances in the peak week with trepidation - how on earth would I manage it?

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
comments : 1
Are you only focusing on racing and training this season?  Volunteeri to help at a triathlon!