General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help with endurance swimming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-16 12:07 PM

, England
Subject: Help with endurance swimming
Hi,

So I learnt to swim around 3 weeks ago and decided I wanted to do a triathlon and swim 3 times a week now, but I'm not good at doing long distances. I've found I can do one length and with the training I've been doing I can do it pretty fast but can't do more than a length, so I was wondering how do I train to be able to do longer distances. I have been working on technique and breathing and feel I have them comfortably for how long I've been swimming so anything in particular I should work on or be drilling in order to swim more than 25m (which is kinda required for triathlons,

Thanks for the help
Will

2015-09-16 2:24 PM
in reply to: will.f.c

Subject: RE: Help with endurance swimming
Will,

Congrats on learning to swim. Getting out of your comfort zone says a lot. I'd recommend structuring your pool time. I'd focus on breaking your time into 3 phases. Warm up, main set, cool down. Seek a local masters team if you want to get better. A typical workout looks like:

Warm up
400 W/U mainly Free, but you can work in other strokes
250 drills mixed (depending on what event and time of year) These include 3 stroke 6 kick, 1 arm swimming, lots of dolphin kicking on front and back, swimming on back for 12 kicks then turning over on front for 12 kicks hands at your side, free breathing every 3, 5, 7, 9 strokes, catchup drills.
200-500 pull work with buoy with fins and paddles focusing on reach and hand entry.
main set
4 or 5 x something like 100's, 200's on your interval time
Wednesdays are always sprint days so we do 3 x 10- 25's or 3 x 5 - 50's.
Sometimes just a lot of kick drills or IM work
Cool down
200-500 pull or slow free breathing every 3,5,7,9.
Most workouts we do anywhere from 2k- 3k in an hour.

The key to pool sessions is swimming with a purpose. Always try to improve something whether it's body position, kick, catch and pull, balance. We never jump in and say swim for an hr. Our workouts are always targeting technique over volume. You'll build endurance faster if you do 10-25's on :40 seconds. This means leaving each wall on :40 seconds (not reaching the wall resting for :15-:30) then going again. Whatever your current interval is work with it. You should be able to get to 7 out of 10 before feeling out of air or gassed. If you're dying on say 4 then you over estimating your fitness. As you get better you can do say 5-100's or 4 x 200's trying to keep or improve your time over each set.

Again, I'd suggest looking for a local masters team and joining. Most will let you swim free for 2-3 weeks to try it out. It'll hurt your feelings both emotionally and physically since you've never done anything similar but stick with it. I've been there. You'll learn tons at a very low cost. You'll improve quicker since a coach will give you drills specifically targeted to your ability. Until you learn the correct technique which means doing drills (the correct way) and then using those drills which creates muscle memory.

Stay after it! Since you only learned 3 weeks ago don't get discouraged and set unreasonable goals. Do record your 25, 50, 75, 100 time and write it down for a baseline for improvement.

2015-09-16 3:32 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Congrats on making the commitment to train for a triathlon.

Based on where you are, I would suggest working on sets of 25's.  Set a goal of doing 4-6 to start with.  Swim 25, catch your breath and then do it again until you get to your goal number.   As you get stronger add more repeats, trying to get up to ten.

Once that feels comfortable, then build up to doing the same thing but swimming 50's instead of 25's.  

It's just a progressive thing where you need to build endurance, but not at the cost of poor technique.  Be patient.  It takes time, but if you are consistent with you training you'll start to see progress.

Joining  a masters group is a great idea.  Learning from others and getting constructive feedback really helps.  So often our perception of what we're doing is much different than reality and having other sets of eyes watching is helpful.   Don't  worry about keeping up with more advanced swimmers at this point, just focus on your own progress.

Keep at it and good luck.

Mark

2015-09-16 5:02 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Maybe slow down some to see if you can go a longer distance, just as with running where you cannot sprint forever.  I remember the day when I worked past 100 yards then not long after that I did 500.  But that 500 was not at the same pace I did the 100 in.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help with endurance swimming Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

help me help someone with swimming

Started by lmcwil
Views: 886 Posts: 9

2013-04-21 10:32 AM ziggie204

HELP swim /bike/ run swim/ bike/ run.Transition help

Started by deadman
Views: 1007 Posts: 1

2011-08-22 9:33 PM deadman

Swim endurance -Swim to increase speed

Started by verga
Views: 1450 Posts: 11

2010-07-14 8:10 PM tkd.teacher

Swimming help-training help needed

Started by nadaswimmer
Views: 1337 Posts: 8

2009-07-06 8:13 PM Zupe

Need some help, new to endurance racing

Started by Big Appa
Views: 1706 Posts: 10

2009-05-13 9:32 AM Big Appa
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 29, 2011
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
If swim workouts are much more trying than your bike and run workouts, try these tips

date : May 6, 2011
author : garyhallsr
Being comfortable in the water and knowing where your body parts are trump power and strength any day
date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.

date : March 7, 2007
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.
date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.

date : June 5, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 8
When I swim I struggle to get a full breath and consequently run down faster. I spend part of my training on the side of the pool gasping for air.
date : April 2, 2006
Discussions on endurance building, bilateral breathing, kick drills with zoomers, tri versus competitive swimming, ramping up for a HIM and swim golf.

date : September 4, 2004
author : priscilla
Good swimming is relaxed swimming. Relaxed swimming depends on practicing the best techniques and the best body position.