General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running shoes shopping (and speed-laces) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-23 4:34 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Subject: Running shoes shopping (and speed-laces)
It's time for new running shoes for me. I usually have my running "style" evaluated by feet people, especially since my feet pronate and good running shoes are a big deal for me (I injured almost every single piece of my legs last year just because of the wrong shoes.)

My question for you: anything else I should search for once I am in the store? I was thinking about speed laces/no-laces kind of thing. Any comments on that?
My goals for next year: couple of Sprint and Oly triathlons.

By the way - I run without socks today with no discomfort. It was just one mile, but still

Thanks for any tips and recommendations!
Mary

2015-09-23 5:23 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Subject: RE: Running shoes shopping (and speed-laces)
Find a brand your legs like and don't buy anything else. I had a similar experience as yours when I switched to a more minimalist shoe, THIS year. I rotate through 3 pairs, during the week.

Speed laces are kinda hard to mess up. I just bought a set, Friday, and couldn't tell you which ones I bought. I think they're all about the same.

2015-09-23 5:24 PM

User image

Try some running shoes on. Run around in them. Go with what feels right. As far as speed laces, go for the bungees. They tighten up better.
2015-09-23 11:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I've always had great results just getting feedback to and from the running shop, as long as they ask lots of questions, let you run in them etc.

Love the speed laces, but sometimes they won't feel the same as normal laces, which can be good or bad :p

I am more comfortable with normal laces, so I used them in my ironman, but in a sprint where seconds mattered, totally went with bungeez
2015-09-24 7:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

I love "IBungee" laces. I order from the internet but most running shoe stores have them.
2015-09-24 8:42 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Thanks guys!
Mary

2015-09-24 8:46 AM

User image

Originally posted by marysia83

It's time for new running shoes for me. I usually have my running "style" evaluated by feet people, especially since my feet pronate and good running shoes are a big deal for me (I injured almost every single piece of my legs last year just because of the wrong shoes.)

My question for you: anything else I should search for once I am in the store? I was thinking about speed laces/no-laces kind of thing. Any comments on that?

By the way - I run without socks today with no discomfort. It was just one mile, but still

Mary

I had a bad experience with speed laces..... mine either felt super loose or super tight with no in between. I ended up getting blisters and just switching back. It might have been because of the shoes I was wearing (prolock on the kinvara's) so I may try them again if I switch shoes.

probably not a ton of help since most people seem to like them but I figured I'd give my experience.
2015-09-24 8:57 AM
in reply to: amalgamate

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by amalgamate

Mary

I had a bad experience with speed laces..... mine either felt super loose or super tight with no in between. I ended up getting blisters and just switching back. It might have been because of the shoes I was wearing (prolock on the kinvara's) so I may try them again if I switch shoes.

probably not a ton of help since most people seem to like them but I figured I'd give my experience.

Thanks for your feedback. It is helpful. I have just checked the prices and I think I would try it. It's not that expensive. I will give it a try and if it doesn't work out - then oh well
Mary
2015-09-24 9:11 AM

, Virginia
I'm sitting here laughing thinking of Ray Finkle: "LACES OUT!"

(Ace Ventura: Pet Detective reference for the uninitiated!)

I use Newton Running's stretch laces, which are Yankz! brand. I've had to play around a bit to make sure I get the correct fit, such that I never adjust them- just slip in my bare or socked foot and I'm ready to run. There is more adjustability with real laces and I was unhappy with the standard lace-up technique with stretch laces. I now skip the most bottom eyelets. At the top I use the lace lock technique to provide just the right amount of tension that a knot would provide. Picture attached.

My local sneaker store carries Nathan speed laces, which I get for my kids' sneakers. I like the clasp and adjustability better on the Nathan laces than the Yankz! laces.

A note on your leg injuries: I've gone through 15 years of running issues- injury to legs and such- that required me to take long breaks and crapped on my confidence. I only realized this year that my running form was the problem the whole time- not my sneakers. Something to consider! I will never get one of those "running evaluations" done again by a "expert running" salesman that really just wants to sell you footwear even though they are good intentioned.

(Speed Laces.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Speed Laces.jpg (1581KB - 3 downloads)
2015-09-24 9:17 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by craycray

A note on your leg injuries: I've gone through 15 years of running issues- injury to legs and such- that required me to take long breaks and crapped on my confidence. I only realized this year that my running form was the problem the whole time- not my sneakers. Something to consider! I will never get one of those "running evaluations" done again by a "expert running" salesman that really just wants to sell you footwear even though they are good intentioned.

I went to podiatrist (who is also elite marathon runner) after my last injury. So he is my to-go person when it comes to foot expertise.
For people at the store I show them how I run, I explain what the doctor told me and what I'm looking for and so far I had no problem. Just to clarify

When you said the "running form" - what did you have in mind?
Mary

Edited by marysia83 2015-09-24 9:18 AM
2015-09-24 11:00 AM
in reply to: 0

, Virginia
For me, it was shin splints, knee pain, plantar fasciitis and back pain. I had been to expert podiatrists, several well-known sneaker stores with analysis machines, told that I'm pronating, gotten MRIs done, could use orthotics, some told me i needed to just give it up- not everyone is supposed to run, etc. I ran my first marathon in '96 but then I didn't run steadily for almost 20 years due to issues that never went away.

In February 2015 I decided to give my last effort and paid out of pocket for a professional gait analysis at the University of Virginia Speed Clinic. They watch your bones & form with 3D computer analyses to ensure it is a healthy running form. I was not running healthy, which is really the cause of ANY pain. E.g. my feet were not landing properly, I was twisting my body, pushing off incorrectly, etc. All the twisting and improper form causes muscles to twist & tear beyond their intended range of motion. The clinic prescribed several mobility exercises to be performed twice daily. This world-class clinic stated that "proper footwear" is only 5% of the entire issue. Podiatrists and sneaker dealers don't know any of this cause they don't have the ability to do this type of research.

http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/physical-medi...

Then I got a local triathlon coach, who luckily was very much into mobility work, a la the "Ready to Run" book & CrossFit mobility. I found the basic mobility exercises in Ready to Run were the same ones the UVA uses that helps world-class athletes perform to the utmost that were developed by professional physiologists. Also got some real-time feedback on my running form from my coach to keep me in step. It took a lot of self-awareness to learn to change something in real time if I felt pain as I ran- though that meant running slower at first.

Ultimately, by April *ALL* of my pain disappeared. The Newtons I posted above are the stability model that I purchased last year, but I was assured that I don't even need that by the Speed Clinic. I can run in my Vibram Five Fingers once again and I'm not getting any pain.

If your body is in pain, you're doing something wrong. Not necessarily the sport, but your body motion is wrong or the level of intensity is wrong. Forget corrective sneakers when it's your body that needs correction.

Edited by craycray 2015-09-24 11:04 AM

2015-09-24 11:22 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
I checked....and the laces I just bought are Nathans. I've used Yankz, before, also. Like I said earlier, they all work just fine.

I don't disagree that something besides the shoes is the culprit when injuries occur. I do disagree that it's a form issue, though. I need to strengthen my knees. Sitting behind a desk does nothing for this! I have specific exercises my ortho prescribed that are helping. I'm also not saying I have good form when running. I probably don't.

Good luck.
2015-09-24 4:50 PM
in reply to: #5142728

, Ontario
My suggestion is to be careful to ensure the bungie laces aren't too long. I bought a set and used them for the first time in my first tri. The laces were so long I had at least ten people stop to warn me as I was running that they were long and I was going to trip.
2015-09-24 5:04 PM

User image

Mary

Thanks for your feedback. It is helpful. I have just checked the prices and I think I would try it. It's not that expensive. I will give it a try and if it doesn't work out - then oh well
Mary

Thats how I felt.... they're so cheap. why not give it a go
2015-09-25 1:40 PM
in reply to: craycray

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by craycray

For me, it was shin splints, knee pain, plantar fasciitis and back pain. I had been to expert podiatrists, several well-known sneaker stores with analysis machines, told that I'm pronating, gotten MRIs done, could use orthotics, some told me i needed to just give it up- not everyone is supposed to run, etc. I ran my first marathon in '96 but then I didn't run steadily for almost 20 years due to issues that never went away.

In February 2015 I decided to give my last effort and paid out of pocket for a professional gait analysis at the University of Virginia Speed Clinic. They watch your bones & form with 3D computer analyses to ensure it is a healthy running form. I was not running healthy, which is really the cause of ANY pain. E.g. my feet were not landing properly, I was twisting my body, pushing off incorrectly, etc. All the twisting and improper form causes muscles to twist & tear beyond their intended range of motion. The clinic prescribed several mobility exercises to be performed twice daily. This world-class clinic stated that "proper footwear" is only 5% of the entire issue. Podiatrists and sneaker dealers don't know any of this cause they don't have the ability to do this type of research.

http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/physical-medi...

Then I got a local triathlon coach, who luckily was very much into mobility work, a la the "Ready to Run" book & CrossFit mobility. I found the basic mobility exercises in Ready to Run were the same ones the UVA uses that helps world-class athletes perform to the utmost that were developed by professional physiologists. Also got some real-time feedback on my running form from my coach to keep me in step. It took a lot of self-awareness to learn to change something in real time if I felt pain as I ran- though that meant running slower at first.

Ultimately, by April *ALL* of my pain disappeared. The Newtons I posted above are the stability model that I purchased last year, but I was assured that I don't even need that by the Speed Clinic. I can run in my Vibram Five Fingers once again and I'm not getting any pain.

If your body is in pain, you're doing something wrong. Not necessarily the sport, but your body motion is wrong or the level of intensity is wrong. Forget corrective sneakers when it's your body that needs correction.

I am so sorry you had to go through all of that! And I'm glad the clinic helped you resolving your issues.

I was lucky enough to have a great doctor. He is - as I mentioned before - marathon runner as well, so he looks at things from different perspectives (than just a Mr. M.D.). He actually told me my arch pain was caused by too much tension in my calves and gave me set of exercises. Shoe inserts to support the arch was an addition. Thankfully, exercises and inserts solved the problem.

With the folks at the store I also found them helpful. And the shoes always was the cure for my pains. Also, they never pushed me to one specific shoe brand - I usually get about 5 different ones to choose from. And none of the are Nike or NB.
With that being said - I have had a great shopping experience so far

I hope there will be no more pain for you!
Mary
2015-09-25 1:42 PM
in reply to: amalgamate

User image

Denver, Colorado

Mary

Mary

Thats how I felt.... they're so cheap. why not give it a go

Yup - I bought a super cheap, $5 ones I will give it a try next week!
Mary

2015-09-25 1:43 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
By the way - the guy at the store asked me if I needed anything else, like running socks. And I told him I try to run sockless. The look on his face was priceless But I told him it's for my speedy-fast transitions during triathlons. And he decided to go back to the runners' world
Mary
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running shoes shopping (and speed-laces) Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

What the extra lace hole in your running shoe is for

Started by b2run
Views: 1931 Posts: 11

2015-05-13 1:15 PM laffinrock

Shoe question - speed laces

Started by kmwilliams
Views: 1228 Posts: 8

2010-01-07 12:58 PM Hydro

speedlaces or bungee laces?

Started by Fastfwd
Views: 6972 Posts: 16

2008-02-27 1:23 PM MDHillSlug

Nike Running shoes with no laces?

Started by RBRMIKE
Views: 13479 Posts: 9

2007-02-22 4:31 PM RBRMIKE

My running shoe shopping experience

Started by mnewton
Views: 1310 Posts: 12

2006-03-22 5:54 PM sappho96
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 2, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
A comprehensive look at a controversial trend-- for triathletes like you

date : February 28, 2012
author : greggseltzer
comments : 6
Why barefoot running is not suited for the average runner.
date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
comments : 0
I decided to list a few interesting workouts to increase speed.