Mon County Habitat for Humanity
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 27m 3s
Overall Rank = 260/314
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 23/26
Pre-race routine:

Woke up 5:30 and went to pre-race meeting at 6 a.m. Picked up packet, then went home to eat breakfast and get kids ready. Started to eat a bagel with peanut butter, but my son stole half... grrr. So I ate some cereal and drank some coffee. Grabbed the bag that I had packed the night before, threw it in the van, pumped up tires on bike, loaded up and drove back. Got to race site, set up transition area for bike and run. Got marked.
Event warmup:

Walked around nervously a little. Spoke with a few folks. Got called to the swim holding area for my heat, while waiting there, I stretched paying attention to my legs so my ITB doesn't hurt.
Swim
  • 06m 35s
  • 302 meters
  • 02m 11s / 100 meters
Comments:

The pool seemed really long! But once I started swimming, I was amazed at how well things went. I started out strong. After 3 lengths, I backed off slightly, but didn't slack off. Once I hit five lengths (half the length), I was suprised how quickly the remainder went. Now that I know my split, I see that I went with a quicker pace than I have ever done in normal training, which is only right, I suppose.
What would you do differently?:

I think I was afraid of dying at the end, so I probably slacked off too much. It's better to leave it all out there. But all in all, I am really pleased with my time. Lots of room for improvement, but for me this was good.
Transition 1
  • 02m 29s
Comments:

Once I pulled my carcass out of the water, I took off for the transition area. I heard the patter of little feet behind me, and a very familiar voice calling "Daddy! Daddy!" My 3yo followed me into the transition area, which was not just for competitors. As I was pulling on my socks, my son started asking me questions. I just kept changing, and actually he understood that I was racing. It was fine, and didn't slow me too much. My T1 is WAY better than 3 weeks ago when I thought I would die. I knew what to expect and that was better. My shoes went on fine. My shirt gave me a little trouble, but not too much. It all went pretty smoothly.

Just get more experience with T1. I will in the future tape my gel to the bike. I didn't this time and I dropped it shortly after starting the bike. It didn't matter, but it would have been nice.
Bike
  • 39m 35s
  • 10.8 miles
  • 16.37 mile/hr
Comments:

I was probably the third out of the pool for my heat. And I didn't get passed until just after the turn around. I just kept pedalling like mad, trying to keep my cadence high. Too bad I don't know what that cadence was, but I rode that trail like I never have before. I have never sustained an average speed of 15 mph while riding on the rail trail before. During the race I averaged over 16 mph, and that was on my heavy mtb. I am very pleased with that. When I came in to the transition area again, I nearly wiped out. I came in too fast... or tried to stop too suddenly. Then my right hand held onto the brake while I tried to dismount and my bike almost pitched me forward face first into the pavement. I caught myself, but my calf on my right leg ended up getting stressed by it. It was a while before it felt good. But I DID NOT fall. Getting the bike to the rack though, was hellish. My legs did not want to respond.

Not much except not nearly wipe out at the dismount. I will be looking at getting clipless pedals or at least cages. I think this was a great ride considering I just have platform pedals.
Transition 2
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

This was a fairly easy transition since I rode with my running shoes on. I grabbed my hat, sunglasses, bottle of gatorade, and went. I got momentarily confused about the exit, which could have brought my time just under 1 minute.

Be very clear where the exit is!
Run
  • 37m 22s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 12m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Since July 3, I had been having trouble with my ITB. I hadn't really been able to run, and the tri I did three weeks before this one, I ended up walking much of the run. After much rest, stretching, exercises to strengthen the area around the ITB, and a knee strap, I took two runs the week before that were pain free, but they were not of any great length. The longest was 1.5 miles -- actually a real confidence builder since I was pain free. During this run I was worried that the pain would come back at some point beyond 1.5 miles. But it never happened. I didn't walk at all.

When I started though, my right calf was still sore and it took a while to run that out. My legs were unresponsive and I had a hard time getting them to get over that bike ride. I carried gatorade with me because I feared getting dehydrated, and I thought the carbs would be good since I had lost my clifshot. As I approached the turn around I tried running with a guy who was passing me, and I just couldn't keep up with him, but I think that helped me pick up my pace. I am fairly certain (although having lost my watch I can't say absolutely) that my second half was faster than my first. I finished stronger than I began. And my finish was very good... which means I didn't go hard enough earlier on.

I think that my loss of several weeks running really came into effect here. My legs just weren't all that ready for this run. It took way too long to find my stride. Part of it is mental... I just need to get it out of my head that I can't run. Off-season I will be working a great deal on running.

Post race
Warm down:

I walked around a little bit, picked up my 3yo, gave my wife a hug. Drank a couple bottles of water, ate 2 bananas and half a bagel. Then walked some more... and when I went home I ripped out my front door and put in a new one... not a smart move, but it did get me stretching. :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training in running due to injury.
Heavy bike.

Event comments:

Sprint, Spin & Splash is a great introduction to triathlons. Folks are really supportive, and the atmosphere is very family friendly. It was well organized and right on time. It is just too bad that they can only start 10 people every 10 minutes. To stay the whole day can be just a little too long of a day.

Last updated: 2006-05-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:35 | 302 meters | 02m 11s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/26
Overall: 0/314
Performance: Good
Suit: no
Course: 10 lengths of the pool -- shared each lane with another person. Ten people in each heat.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:29
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:39:35 | 10.8 miles | 16.37 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: The course was entirely along a rail trail -- about as flat as possible in WV. There are however some gentle slopes that could catch you off guard if you were unaware. Thankfully this is my regular training ride. No hills, but no downhills to take advantage of. Due to some construction near the turn around, the course was slightly shorter than the 10.9 miles that the course description said.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:03.5
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:37:22 | 03.11 miles | 12m 01s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: The run went back out of the park and headed the opposite direction on the rail trail. About one mile into it, the trail starts a gradual grade up (and the trail will continue that for another 15 miles if you keep going), which was a challenge for me. But that grade is all wooded. Very cool.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-08-30 10:03 AM

User image

Arch-Bishop of BT
Pittsburgh
Subject: Sprint, Splash 'n Spin

2006-08-30 11:52 AM
in reply to: #526652

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Subject: RE: Sprint, Splash 'n Spin

Brian - you rocked it out, brother!

All I gotta say, is from the beginning you set out to become a triathlete, and now that you've done that, it seems like it's going to stick. I see speed in your future, my man  

2006-08-31 9:47 PM
in reply to: #526652

User image

Extreme Veteran
Allen
Subject: RE: Sprint, Splash 'n Spin

Great job, brother!!  Sounds like you hit on all cylinders on this one.  I'm glad your knee didn't give you any problems, especially coming off a hard bike like that.

Congratulations on a great race!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sprint, Splash 'n Spin Rss Feed