BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2015-12-30 2:17 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket)
Originally posted by laffinrock

Well, it's official.  My last day of work is Wednesday.  I'm feeling all kinds of emotions: sadness, anger, grief, relief, hope, anticipation.  I've been able to connect with some eHouse team members for runs and had a great time with TJ on Christmas.  It was a good way to get ready for the family drama I was expecting. Fortunately, the drama didn't happen and it was relatively calm.  We just focused all our attention on my 20 month-old niece and had a good time.  Or at least Alex and I did.  Not sure about everybody else but I'm just not going to worry about them!!!!

Stacey, my athletic goals for this year are to do my first HM in March, a sprint tri in June, an Oly in July or August, and possibly a HIM relay in September.  I don't know about the tris.  That depends on whether I can get back in the pool in time to get the training in.  If not, I'll probably do some duathlons instead.  I'd really like to focus on improving my bike strength.  I know I have a lot of potential to improve there and should be able to do it.  I'd like to work on my swimming too, but that just depends on how soon I'm able to swim without feeling like I'm going to throw up.

As for personal goals, I want to get back into social work.  I have a bunch of contacts I want to develop and plan to study for and take the licensure exam while I'm not able to work.  Hopefully I'll be able to get enough accomplished by the time I have to go back to work that I'll be able to get a job in that field.  I got my master's degree in social work in 2009 and haven't really used it since 2012.  It's time to get back to my passion and this is my opportunity to do it.

ETA: Our weather here is quite the opposite of yours.  It's generally been hovering in the teens and low 20's and dipping into the single digits at night.  A day in the 30's or 40's feels balmy, especially if the sun is shining.  It isn't supposed to get above freezing for the rest of the year.  I'm getting lots of practice dressing for running in the cold.  All those layers sure make for lots of laundry!!

Mary,
I am sorry about the job, and - at the same time - I really enjoyed reading about your attitude, motivation, plans, and future. You are so strong and inspiring!
I hope this new year will bring you plenty of strength, health, and joy in what you will do. That would be great if you can come back to the field that is your passion.
Mary

2015-12-30 2:25 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by Richardsdrr

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by brigby1

We ended up with several inches of that ice pellet stuff the other day. Looks like snow, but it's now frozen into a solid sheet. It's strong enough that I can walk the neighborhood and stay entirely on top of it.

I went for a run on my normal trails yesterday. I didn't wear the spikes thinking that the snow on the trails would be gone. NOTSOMUCH. So between the powdery snow and the mud where the snow was no longer my legs got quite a workout.

We've just been getting battered by wind and rain over here. Lots of flooding going on and it's unseasonably warm, about 15 degrees C. In the day.

After some beautiful spring this winter, Chicago got some snow shots. Accompanied by cold low temperatures. Thankfully, my car is parked in a weird spot where the wind do not direct too much snow.
I was so happy about nice weather and opportunity to bike and run outside (I decided to run my very first half marathon in few weeks, ugh...), and now I'm screwed for over a week. AND the athletic center I go to train is going through major renovation (basically, they will make it twice as big) and the running track is closed for another... two years... So nicer weather is my only hope for training

Mary
2015-12-30 3:56 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Have a great new years PODMATES!

I decided I deserve tomorrow off so there you have it.

ENJOY and be safe!
2015-12-30 4:18 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by marysia83

We ended up with several inches of that ice pellet stuff the other day. Looks like snow, but it's now frozen into a solid sheet. It's strong enough that I can walk the neighborhood and stay entirely on top of it.

I went for a run on my normal trails yesterday. I didn't wear the spikes thinking that the snow on the trails would be gone. NOTSOMUCH. So between the powdery snow and the mud where the snow was no longer my legs got quite a workout.

We've just been getting battered by wind and rain over here. Lots of flooding going on and it's unseasonably warm, about 15 degrees C. In the day.
After some beautiful spring this winter, Chicago got some snow shots. Accompanied by cold low temperatures. Thankfully, my car is parked in a weird spot where the wind do not direct too much snow. I was so happy about nice weather and opportunity to bike and run outside (I decided to run my very first half marathon in few weeks, ugh...), and now I'm screwed for over a week. AND the athletic center I go to train is going through major renovation (basically, they will make it twice as big) and the running track is closed for another... two years... So nicer weather is my only hope for training Mary

Hope something works out for you. This last storm left a real mess even though it's just a few inches. I know lots of people don't like clearing snow, but getting rid of this is a serious PITA. Has to be broken apart, unstuck from the surface and then shoveled off. Takes a very deliberate effort to get off the walk ways. Seeing the neighborhood crew out right now trying to do this. Hopefully within a few days the sidewalks and pathways clear up some more. It's really not nice running conditions, more so than a typical snowfall.

Should have also said in the first post that the beaver and muskrats are still out swimming in the local lake. Ice forming at the edges and they're still out in it. Out there almost every time I've gone down the past few months.

2015-12-30 4:37 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Denver, Colorado

Originally posted by marysia83

After some beautiful spring this winter, Chicago got some snow shots. Accompanied by cold low temperatures. Thankfully, my car is parked in a weird spot where the wind do not direct too much snow. I was so happy about nice weather and opportunity to bike and run outside (I decided to run my very first half marathon in few weeks, ugh...), and now I'm screwed for over a week. AND the athletic center I go to train is going through major renovation (basically, they will make it twice as big) and the running track is closed for another... two years... So nicer weather is my only hope for training Mary

Hope something works out for you. This last storm left a real mess even though it's just a few inches. I know lots of people don't like clearing snow, but getting rid of this is a serious PITA. Has to be broken apart, unstuck from the surface and then shoveled off. Takes a very deliberate effort to get off the walk ways. Seeing the neighborhood crew out right now trying to do this. Hopefully within a few days the sidewalks and pathways clear up some more. It's really not nice running conditions, more so than a typical snowfall.

Should have also said in the first post that the beaver and muskrats are still out swimming in the local lake. Ice forming at the edges and they're still out in it. Out there almost every time I've gone down the past few months.

Ahhh... shoveling... reason number one I don't own a house
But seriously, it was a very weird storm, like you said. Plenty of folks do not use snowy sidewalks, but walk straight on the roads. Which is crazy scary at night...
I think our Chicago Open Water Swim group keeps practicing every Saturday. I don't think they care about this weather
2015-12-30 4:37 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Have a great new years PODMATES!

I decided I deserve tomorrow off so there you have it.

ENJOY and be safe!

Enjoy the long weekend! Good for you

2015-12-31 10:52 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Happy New Year!

Racing Manatee!!!

Tom - The Mission 5k - Jan 3

Disabled List
Mary - post-concussion syndrome, prism glasses are in!!! Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work she goes.
Lisa - broken ankle on the mend, weight bearing has begun
Ben - clavical (need a progress report!)
Jen - dental woes
Steve - kidney problems related to scar tissue, surgery 12/20.  Has anyone heard from Steve since then?

2015-12-31 10:56 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Richardsdrr So Janyne, how's Kevin getting along with the Snap? Did he sign up for Trainer Road yet. I've been reading about the Snap and how some of them have been having some issues with power reading inaccuracies due to spin downs and getting the correct tyre tension. I hope he has one with no problems. Did you and he manage to watch the Inspired to Ride documentary I sent you. Really good in my opinion. I've entered a race that is run by the guy that won the race that the film is about. He only lives about 16 miles from me. I entered it back in November and found out on Christmas day that I was one of the lucky 350 out of 1000 who entered that got in. I just hope I can do the race justice. For anyone wishing to follow, I've started a blog that will record my preparation, and hopefully my completion of the race at: http://longtimegone.blog.com/I'm having trouble accessing the blog editor at the moment, seems there are problems with the servers. In the future, I may shift it to another blog hosting site. If anyone can recommend one, that would be great.

Kevin is enjoying (?) it so far.  I mean, he likes it so far.  He still has some parts and pieces on order before giving TrainerRoad a shot.  I think that the music stand to hold the iPad is the last part that he needs.  He upgraded from an ancient speed/cadence sensor to the magnetless one that that helped his dropout issues.  I think that his main issue now is that the old trainer had very little resistance anymore and the new one is kicking his assets pretty hard.  I don't think that he's watched Inspired to Ride just yet.

I saw that you entered that race.  It should be fun!

2015-12-31 10:58 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Well, it's official.  My last day of work is Wednesday.  I'm feeling all kinds of emotions: sadness, anger, grief, relief, hope, anticipation.  I've been able to connect with some eHouse team members for runs and had a great time with TJ on Christmas.  It was a good way to get ready for the family drama I was expecting. Fortunately, the drama didn't happen and it was relatively calm.  We just focused all our attention on my 20 month-old niece and had a good time.  Or at least Alex and I did.  Not sure about everybody else but I'm just not going to worry about them!!!!

Stacey, my athletic goals for this year are to do my first HM in March, a sprint tri in June, an Oly in July or August, and possibly a HIM relay in September.  I don't know about the tris.  That depends on whether I can get back in the pool in time to get the training in.  If not, I'll probably do some duathlons instead.  I'd really like to focus on improving my bike strength.  I know I have a lot of potential to improve there and should be able to do it.  I'd like to work on my swimming too, but that just depends on how soon I'm able to swim without feeling like I'm going to throw up.

As for personal goals, I want to get back into social work.  I have a bunch of contacts I want to develop and plan to study for and take the licensure exam while I'm not able to work.  Hopefully I'll be able to get enough accomplished by the time I have to go back to work that I'll be able to get a job in that field.  I got my master's degree in social work in 2009 and haven't really used it since 2012.  It's time to get back to my passion and this is my opportunity to do it.

ETA: Our weather here is quite the opposite of yours.  It's generally been hovering in the teens and low 20's and dipping into the single digits at night.  A day in the 30's or 40's feels balmy, especially if the sun is shining.  It isn't supposed to get above freezing for the rest of the year.  I'm getting lots of practice dressing for running in the cold.  All those layers sure make for lots of laundry!!

I'm sure that you made the right decision for your family.  {{hugs}}

2015-12-31 11:02 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by juniperjen

Originally posted by StaceyK ok I need some equipment advice guys. I have been thinking about getting a bike rack for my car. Thinking something along the lines of this (yes I have a tow ball): http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/T7CATN5HM/title/t7--bike---load... what do you use? do you have any advice for me about this?

So, we have tried a couple of models - one similar to the one you posted but had two bars for holding the bikes. the only issue with that style is the bikes do move around a bit. We noticed that even the pedals can hit the trunk and we've had it scratch. Not a problem but it's weird to see the front wheels turning on the bikes while you're driving. But it's easy to use. And other than the above we've driving something like 2000km with our bikes like that.

My DH is a buyer for a big retailer here and recently got a platform model to try out (and keep) and it's much more stable (the one in the link is not the same but the similar idea). the only issues with it are:

1. it blocks our licence plate (we haven't been stopped yet - it's the Euro Model so it actually has a spot to mount a European plate)

2. it fits only two bikes. 

But it's much more stable and really locks down the bikes. We went about 1800km each way to Nova Scotia this summer with our bikes on it. 

Like Jen, I prefer the platform ones for highways (and mountain bikes).  I have a Honda Fit and the platform one doesn't work on it (too low to the ground, drives, etc. are problematic) so I have a hanging one that I use for around town and take the front wheel off and carry it inside the car for highway driving.  Kevin has a platform model for his Subaru Forester.  One is Thule and the other is Yakima and I can never remember which is which.

2015-12-31 11:03 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK Thanks for the rack advice guys. Normally I just put Andre in the back of my SUV, he fits easily. At the end of January all things going to plan I will need to fit myself, Yanti and Kingsley and our bikes and all our gear in my car (trust me if you have sherpaed for them you would know they have a lot of ) . But I think that my friend K has a 4 bike rack we can borrow for the weekend so problem solved. Without spending the $$$. Gotta love that.

Wait!  What plans?!

2015-12-31 1:29 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Happy New Year friends!

I am walking normally and weight-bearing without crutches, a boot or a brace. It's amazing . I am going to start swimming and biking ASAP - like tomorrow - as I'm cleared from multiple medical standpoints now, to do so. YAY!

I have to work tonight, so that's a bit of a bummer, but the introvert in me is secretly glad I have an excuse to not go out. Hope everyone has a great night, whatever your plans may be.

2015-12-31 4:08 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Denver, CO

Lisa, yay for being bootless and crutchless!! 'Bout time, huh?  Does that mean you're officially off the DL?? To all you other DL'ers, sending you lots of healing thoughts.  Let's clear out that list already.

I must be getting used to this cold weather.  Yesterday, it was in the mid-20's and I was actually comfortable with only 3 layers on top and 2 on the bottom, plus my lighter-weight hat and running gloves.  This weekend, though, is going to rough.  It'll be in the single digits overnight, so I don't anticipate it will be more than about 10* at 8 a.m. when I meet up with the groups I'm going with.  Brrrrrr!!  I'm just keeping my fingers crossed for no wind.  Even 5 mph makes a huge difference. 

DH sent me flowers today on my first day of unemployment.  That man is definitely a keeper.

We're a couple of old fuddy-duddies and have no plans to go out to celebrate New Year's Eve. The city puts on a fireworks show at 9 p.m. and midnight for all the people celebrating downtown.  I'll stay inside where it's warm, thanks.  The pups will react in their usual ways to the fireworks (we'll be able to hear the city's show from here): one will cower miserably in the kitchen and the other will race around barking until the noise stops.  Who needs noise-makers when we have an excited border collie?!  We'll whoop it up by drinking some store-bought eggnog sans alcohol, then call it a night.  

Speaking of pups, my four-legged running buddy is now staring at me relentlessly, telling me it's time to get in the day's miles, so off I go.  Hope you all have a fun, HEALTHY, and all-around wonderful 2016!!

2015-12-31 5:26 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by lisac957

Happy New Year friends!

I am walking normally and weight-bearing without crutches, a boot or a brace. It's amazing . I am going to start swimming and biking ASAP - like tomorrow - as I'm cleared from multiple medical standpoints now, to do so. YAY!

I have to work tonight, so that's a bit of a bummer, but the introvert in me is secretly glad I have an excuse to not go out. Hope everyone has a great night, whatever your plans may be.

Are you in for the long haul, Lisa? I should be done by 1:00 at the latest, although I am hoping to be out by 11:45. Hoping, but not counting on it!

2015-12-31 5:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by StaceyK Thanks for the rack advice guys. Normally I just put Andre in the back of my SUV, he fits easily. At the end of January all things going to plan I will need to fit myself, Yanti and Kingsley and our bikes and all our gear in my car (trust me if you have sherpaed for them you would know they have a lot of ) . But I think that my friend K has a 4 bike rack we can borrow for the weekend so problem solved. Without spending the $$$. Gotta love that.

Wait!  What plans?!

well see when I sherpaed for Yanti to do Busso IM at the beginning of December they asked me what my race plans for the summer were. So I told them that my main goal race was the Busso Oly at the end of Jan. They were both obviously on a pre race high, or bored or something because they signed up to do it too.

So all going well (or knowing Yanti even if it doesn't) the 3 of us are heading to Busso on 30th Jan to do the Oly on 31st. Kingsley and Yanti might have a longish wait for me at the finish line because I'm predicting a long race time for me (cause in 2015 I was a lazy ).
2015-12-31 5:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
HAPPY NEW YEAR MANATEES!
(I can say that because it is 7:40am on 1 January 2016 where I am)

Nice quiet one for Phil and I, we went to dinner with friends and were home by about 8:30, watched some tele and went to bed well before midnight. I know old and boring introverts here

Hope your race goes well Tom and glad to see that those on the DL are improving.
Very glad to hear that you are able to start swimming and riding Lisa.

Have a great day everyone, hot and windy here, not a good combination as idiots think that it's a great day to light fires in weather like this.

2015-12-31 5:52 PM

User image

Master

Happy New Year to those already there and Happy NYE to the rest of you!  As usual, it takes me several days to realize archiving happened! 

We don't have big plans tonight, just some friends over for dinner; not even sure if we will make it to midnight.  I have signed up for a trail run series and the first one is tomorrow morning.  My SIL told me about it so we are going to run them together.  I may also be doing a polar bear dip tomorrow, but that is yet to be confirmed!

Hope everyone has a lovely night tonight, stay safe and have fun.

2015-12-31 8:45 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Happy New Year everyone.  Hope you all enjoy the ushering in of another great year.  This last one was truly great.

Just ended the year with my first run in three weeks.  Felt good to be back out but I'm going to have hold off and ride/swim instead for a while.  Just to much pounding.

2015-12-31 9:04 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by cdban66

Happy New Year friends!

Are you in for the long haul, Lisa? I should be done by 1:00 at the latest, although I am hoping to be out by 11:45. Hoping, but not counting on it!

It appears so. Still have 3 hours of uncertainty and I could be off the hook at any moment, but for now I'm "on call" and on actual calls until probably 12:30 a.m.

Lisa, yay for being bootless and crutchless!! 'Bout time, huh?  Does that mean you're officially off the DL??

I am not cleared to run yet, but I'm going to say I'm off the official DL  

2015-12-31 9:53 PM

Master
Northern IL

Ben - clavical (need a progress report!)

"Out of sling prison" was fine. Won't have anything significant for at least a couple more weeks.

2015-12-31 10:38 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by cdban66

Happy New Year friends!

It appears so. Still have 3 hours of uncertainty and I could be off the hook at any moment, but for now I'm "on call" and on actual calls until probably 12:30 a.m.

Lisa, yay for being bootless and crutchless!! 'Bout time, huh?  Does that mean you're officially off the DL??

I am not cleared to run yet, but I'm going to say I'm off the official DL  

We are almost done! I hopefully will get to see TW right as the ball drops!

2016-01-01 10:49 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Happy New Year everyone, and congrats to those making their way off the DL! Another boring introvert here. I was doing a bunch of errands all afternoon, and was then called upon to make a rather elaborate Chinese dinner (kind of a family New Years tradition--no. we're not Chinese, and it's not even Chinese New Year!) so I ended up doing my last workout of the year (90-minute trainer ride) after that, well into New Years Eve. Then we watched the ball drop on Time Square live on CNN (only 9 PM West Coast time) and went to bed. Briefly woke up at midnight when neighbors set off some fireworks. Planning on a long-ish run today once the temperature gets above what currently feels like absolute zero (26).

2016-01-02 9:43 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Hey, for all those that have not seen it yet, we have gone live for 2016 in the Mentor Forum.

2016-01-03 5:37 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Happy New Year friends!

Woo hoo!

2016-01-03 5:38 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK

Wait!  What plans?!

well see when I sherpaed for Yanti to do Busso IM at the beginning of December they asked me what my race plans for the summer were. So I told them that my main goal race was the Busso Oly at the end of Jan. They were both obviously on a pre race high, or bored or something because they signed up to do it too. So all going well (or knowing Yanti even if it doesn't) the 3 of us are heading to Busso on 30th Jan to do the Oly on 31st. Kingsley and Yanti might have a longish wait for me at the finish line because I'm predicting a long race time for me (cause in 2015 I was a lazy ).

That sounds great!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket) Rss Feed  

of 60

RELATED POSTS

Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 53619 Posts: 2576

2015-10-10 12:52 AM IndoIronYanti

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66042 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 27660 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11707 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 65908 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.