General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Possible marathon time ??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-10-13 1:04 PM

User image

Exton, PA
Subject: Possible marathon time ???

What is a possible marathon time that anyone could achieve assuming they are injury free and willing to put in the work.

with a competitive swim background I saw some of the most genetically non-gifted people swim when I was young and they were all able to get to a certain level. (BTW that's faster than most triathletes)

As someone who never ran a mile until I was 37, I'm wondering what is possible in the running world.

Is a 3hr marathon possible for anyone? -- 3:15? ----3:30? am I going the wrong way is a sub 3hr possible for anyone?

2015-10-13 1:09 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Master
Calgary, AB
Silver member
Subject: RE: Possible marathon time ???
For an uninjured male who isn't overweight I'd say your Boston qualify time is a fair marker that some people just can't make, but a lot can.

Going sub 3 at 40+ is not going to happen for everyone but isn't an insane goal if you can run 50+ miles/week.

Thinking you'll break 2:30 is the realm of lunacy unless you're some genetic fluke.

2015-10-13 1:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by mike761

What is a possible marathon time that anyone could achieve assuming they are injury free and willing to put in the work.

with a competitive swim background I saw some of the most genetically non-gifted people swim when I was young and they were all able to get to a certain level. (BTW that's faster than most triathletes)

As someone who never ran a mile until I was 37, I'm wondering what is possible in the running world.

Is a 3hr marathon possible for anyone? -- 3:15? ----3:30? am I going the wrong way is a sub 3hr possible for anyone?

My father was a swimmer. European 50m sprint champion when he was 18. Alternate on the French olympic team in 1952. Never did any other sport. Never swam events past the 100m

Quit swimming, got fat, started smoking (he is French) and worked like a mad man to build his career

At 40, quit smoking and starting getting into shape.
I remember in 1978 he was 48 and doing close to 100mpw. He was running to work every morning (13 miles), so I could use his car to go to work.

Ran 2h45 in Boston at 50something.
Two artificial knees at 75.
He was "driven"

2015-10-13 1:25 PM

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL

I hate to make generalizations, but I'm gonna do it anyway.

There are lots of 47 year olds that can run sub 3. Can they all do it? No, but it's totally possible. Why did I pick 47 year olds? It goes back to this rule of thumb. You'll see it mentioned in lots of places if you start reading about Boston Qualifying and what it takes to get there. If you start running with intent and continue to maintain that intent, and be smart about your running... You should be able to see growth for the next ten years. Problem is, when does age start to counteract that growth? I dunno.

So, If ANYBODY came to me and asked if they could run focus and break three hours.... I'd tell every single one of them "Yes, if you are willing to work hard for the next ten years!" Would I always be right? Maybe not. Actually, most people would burn-out or wuss-out so early that they'd never prove me wrong.
2015-10-13 1:36 PM
in reply to: Danno77

User image

As part of the "running world" and having seen a lot of people who try very hard for certain times and don't make it (and others who do), I don't think it's correct to say anything is possible for anyone. There are many variables that are controllable (training time, weight, nutrition, habits, etc), many that aren't (genetics). If you have an untrained starting point it's easier to predict where you could get with training, but it also depends on how early/late in life you start. You already mentioned that about swimming-- there's a certain amount of muscle memory and training that one can achieve when they are young that is much harder to get if you start when you are older.

Bottom line- I don't think it's realistic to set an arbitrary goal before you start.
2015-10-13 1:53 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by Khyron

For an uninjured male who isn't overweight I'd say your Boston qualify time is a fair marker that some people just can't make, but a lot can.

Going sub 3 at 40+ is not going to happen for everyone but isn't an insane goal if you can run 50+ miles/week.

Thinking you'll break 2:30 is the realm of lunacy unless you're some genetic fluke.

So this makes a lot of sense to me.
2:30 mark is the pointy end of the field(I have a couple of friends who were there back in the day)

For my age group a BQ time is 3:25, so it would probably be reasonable to say someone healthy(not overweight, eats right) and willing to put in the work should be able to get into range of that number, maybe a 3:30- 3:40.

Edited by mike761 2015-10-13 1:54 PM

2015-10-13 2:15 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

As you get older, I think the biggest challenge is staying injury free while progressively increasing workload.  When you get to a certain volume it can become very difficult.

2015-10-13 3:46 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by Khyron For an uninjured male who isn't overweight I'd say your Boston qualify time is a fair marker that some people just can't make, but a lot can. Going sub 3 at 40+ is not going to happen for everyone but isn't an insane goal if you can run 50+ miles/week. Thinking you'll break 2:30 is the realm of lunacy unless you're some genetic fluke.
So this makes a lot of sense to me. 2:30 mark is the pointy end of the field(I have a couple of friends who were there back in the day) For my age group a BQ time is 3:25, so it would probably be reasonable to say someone healthy(not overweight, eats right) and willing to put in the work should be able to get into range of that number, maybe a 3:30- 3:40.

On the first try? Maybe. There are so many variables - now, maybe on the second or third try with consistent training blocks I would agree.

There's some base building and refining of the schedule and plan that works best for the marathon distance. It is not purely a mileage thing. Finding the balance of intensity and mileage to get to the start line uninjured with enough in the legs to get through and there are definitely pacing tactics in a race that come with some experience. Getting the mind and legs prepared for the post-20 miles zone in the race setting is very difficult on the first try because there's no real way to simulate it. They don't call it 'the wall' for nothing. 

Could be done but it's not a sure bet. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Possible marathon time ??? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Predicting possible marathon time from 5k, 10k, 1/2 marathon Pages: 1 2

Started by jdl2012
Views: 4729 Posts: 31

2013-07-13 12:12 PM trishie

IM Marathon Time vs. Stand Alone Marathon Time

Started by pga_mike
Views: 1492 Posts: 10

2011-02-15 12:54 PM JohnnyKay

Proof that time travel is possible

Started by JonathanRohr
Views: 1469 Posts: 13

2010-12-13 8:33 AM pschriver

Using a HM time to predict a Marathon time

Started by tri808
Views: 2636 Posts: 20

2010-10-14 2:05 PM Baowolf

Training time limits possible for me?

Started by abdekel
Views: 815 Posts: 4

2008-07-12 4:19 PM moneyman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2015
author : hadleyusa
comments : 1
Training for a specific running event is not as easy as it might seem. Here are some tips and a weekly plan to avoid overtraining and to improve your performance.

date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?
date : August 5, 2010
I had hoped to break 1:30 this year but now would be happy just to break 1:34. My question is in my limited time I have left do I concentrate on speed work or endurance?

date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.
date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.

date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?
date : June 6, 2006
author : TriForrestTri
In order to maintain the rest of our life, we also have to become skilled at time management. Here are a few suggestions for getting workouts in when you can.

date : October 10, 2004
author : Tri Swim Coach
Many people in the triathlon world think they need to just emulate Ian Thorpe to have a faster time, or have a similar stroke to Michael Phelps to cruise through the swim. Unfortunately...