General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Two swimming questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-10-13 1:08 PM

User image

Subject: Two swimming questions
Hi. So I have two swimming questions...

1. When you do various drills other than regular swimming (sculling, 6-1-6, superman, etc) do you count those lengths towards your pool mileage? (Presently I don't because anyway they are not on the Garmin).

2. When does lung capacity improve?
I mean, I find myself short of breath on some drills. Is it simply a matter of doing it for long enough to improve?

Thanks

2015-10-13 1:35 PM
in reply to: aribloch

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Subject: RE: Two swimming questions
I count EVERY FREAKIN LENGTH!

I'm seeing gains....finally.....after a few months. I still feel I could drown in any session, though. I don't think it will (nor do I expect it to) ever get easy.
2015-10-13 1:36 PM
in reply to: #5146429

User image

I'm not sure about the second question, but as to the first: Yes, I count my drills into my total workout yardage. Mu Garmin doesn't keep track of some of my drills (especially kick sets), but if I swim 2,000 including drills and someone asks me how far I swam, I tell them 2,000 yards, not 1,500 plus drills. But, that's just me.
2015-10-13 1:41 PM

Originally posted by aribloch

1. When you do various drills other than regular swimming (sculling, 6-1-6, superman, etc) do you count those lengths towards your pool mileage? (Presently I don't because anyway they are not on the Garmin).

Yes, I count any distance swum towards my mileage/workout plan. Not sure why you wouldn't. To be fair though, I don't do those drills. Maybe I should.

2. When does lung capacity improve?
I mean, I find myself short of breath on some drills. Is it simply a matter of doing it for long enough to improve?

Lung capacity improves with time, but only to a certain point. We are human after all. Being "short of breath" is okay. Being "out of breath" means you are trying to swim past your capabilities. To me, you should train at three speeds - your "race pace" - which is a speed you can maintain for a very long distance without stopping. You should train at interval pace - which is a speed you can complete interval work, and need about 10-15 seconds to recover and go again. You may end up waiting longer due to the plan, but you could go at 10-15 if need be. And lastly, speed/hard interval pace - this is basically your max speed that you can hold for 100 yards/meters. Doing sets at this pace should require 20-25 seconds to recover before pushing off again.

I know there are folks on here with much more knowledge on this, just my $0.02
2015-10-13 1:48 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Whether or not you log it, doesn't matter, your body counts it. That's what matters.

But yes, I log everything. The Garmin 920xt has a "Drill Log" that you click when you start and when you finish, and then enter the distance. I use it for drills and kick sets.

Regarding breathing. I don't think it's a lung capacity issue. It's either a fitness issue or breathing technique. If you are losing your breath when swimming regular freestyle; are you exhaling while your face is under the water so that you can immediately breath in when your mouth gets above the water?
2015-10-13 1:54 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
1. I count everything. Some days I do more drills than swimming, others the reverse. But at the end of it all, I put the yardage covered into my log and that's that. I can't be bothered to count out what was drilled and what wasn't.

2. I'm way too much of a beginner to give this a proper answer. I do wonder if you are out of breath because of lung capacity or more because you aren't yet good at the drill? For myself, I'm currently in swim class learning breast and fly. I can swim a 1600yard recovery workout of mostly freestyle and back and feel great. Then I try for 100 yards of breaststroke kick and I'm gasping. When did you start swimming and what kind of background do you have?

2015-10-13 1:59 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

1.  Yes.

2.   Drills are generally a combination of skills and conditioning, plus some drills are more strenuous than others.  The more you do, the easier they should get.  It also may have to do with your breathing pattern during the drill.  

Mark

2015-10-13 2:01 PM

User image

Exton, PA
1. count what you want

2. your face is under water while working out, of course your out of breath. It's a matter of what level of discomfort you can tolerate for the given distance you are swimming.
Your lung capacity will increase to a point, that is based on your health and your genetics.
If your out of breath after only a couple laps of slow swimming that's a good indicator that your technique needs a lot of work.
2015-10-13 2:04 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
I can tell you this......ANYTHING (and drills, especially) that varies from your normal breathing pattern.....will cause me (as a fledgling) to get out of breath, more quickly.

I just view this as part of the adaptation process. Drills SUCK, for this reason, alone.
2015-10-13 2:34 PM

User image

Franklin, TN

Drills tend to get the heart rate up a bit since you're generally having to kick more while you're doing the drill.  Catch up, single arm, etc... will require more kicking so you're going to be working harder than a moderate swim of the same length.

2015-10-14 9:16 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Richmond
1. Yes, drills count.

2. When and how/how much lung capacity improves is not relevent. Do aerobic work and you will get better aerobically. You can't address one specific thing like that. It's the same as a runner saying, "my legs are fins but my lungs are burning" OR "my legs are trashed but my breathing is fine".. SO "How should I train to fix this (alleged) problem".

Answer - You don't. You train and eventually all these things come together for every athlete, because they arent really separate things at all. Building fitness hits us each a little differently in terms of what we experience / how it feels, but it is ALL simply BUILDING FITNESS.

Edited by Finding Freestyle 2015-10-14 9:17 AM

2015-10-14 9:24 AM
in reply to: Finding Freestyle

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

how you count it is a personal preference....you don't get points for yardage on race day.

lung capacity doesn't improve

2015-10-14 11:16 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Extreme Veteran
Richmond
Oh no, you get points. You just don't necessarily get ALL the points.
2015-10-15 10:50 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX

Originally posted by dmiller5

how you count it is a personal preference....you don't get points for yardage on race day.

lung capacity doesn't improve

Not True.

http://jemds.com/data_pdf/1_ramesh%20for%20march%2017.pdf

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Two swimming questions Rss Feed