General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Northern Climate Winter Training for Ironman Texas? Help! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-10-14 6:43 PM

Subject: Northern Climate Winter Training for Ironman Texas? Help!
Has anyone trained almost exclusively inside during a long, cold dark winter for a spring IM in a hot, southern location?

I live in MN and am thinking of registering for IM Texas, which is in May. This means training for the bike leg will be on my KK, unless we luck out and have an early spring in April (more likely than not there will still be snow in April). Swimming will be all pool, but that has me way less concerned than the bike leg. I can run outside all winter.

Is this crazy? Who has done this, and what advice do you have? The bike leg training indoors fills me with dread and doubt but my can-do determination rises above the noise.

Thanks!

2015-10-14 9:23 PM
in reply to: sthoresen

Subject: RE: Northern Climate Winter Training for Ironman Texas? Help!
I'm close to you and did it for IMTX last year. Lots of hours on a trainer with Netflix, DVR, HBO Now and a few books on tape. Max was a 5 hour ride - that was a two movie plus an episode of the Amazing Race I believe.

It sucks, but doing it makes you strong and confident knowing all the other riders who trained outdoors don't have your endurance. In fact I am doing it again because I prefer training hard during my kids school year and less time training when they are free.

The other advantage was heat - toward the end I wouldn't even turn on the fan but sweat it out to simulate the Texas heat. The major downside was not knowing what the effort equated to on the road since I don't train with power.

Be encouraged - it can be done and after training the hard way you will be confident in May.
2015-10-15 1:20 PM

Live in MN too--- have done IMTX last 2 years and scheduled for this year-- couldn't do it without the computrainer and Netflix-- long, early Sunday mornings, couple of movies and a long ride on the computrainer,, plus a couple of out of state weekends (usually one day at a destination marathon/ triathlon/ bike ride in California/Arizona/ Florida and the other day on the bike at that site).. great way to get through the long winter, start training seriously in mid Jan/ early Feb...have fun
2015-10-15 5:45 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

My first two IMs where at Coeur d'alene (late June race), I trained from Dec-June in Wisconsin so yep a ton of time on the trainer including 7hr+ bike rides- as others have said your best friend will be movies and tv shows. To be honest, I found riding inside helpful because a) No coasting on a trainer, you are riding the ENTIRE time b) it is spectacular mental preparation for race day-if you can fight through 112+ miles indoors come race day you will have that much more confidence! I personally enjoy doing long runs on treadmills so that wasn't an issue for me. As for swimming, because you probably won't be able to practice in open water a ton before race day I highly recommend getting to the race site a couple of days early to allow for practice swim sessions to fine tune sighting/ allow yourself to get comfortable in the environment. I speak from experience on this one as my first year at CDA I didn't have any OWS training in for the season, a few days before the race jumped in the lake for a practice swim, had a minor freak out, went back the next day worked through the panic and got my bearings, returned race day ready to roll when the cannon went off!

Edited by mtrunner6 2015-10-15 5:46 PM
2015-10-22 9:43 AM
in reply to: mtrunner6

User image

Veteran
Denver area
I live in CO and TX was my first IM. The training was really mentally hard on me, probably because I just moved back to CO and didn't have a good training network. And all of the indoor training (which I was not used to). There were many rides where it was dry and cold (temps around 35) and I'd suck it up and ride outside, stopping at public bathrooms to warm my hands and feet with the hand dryers. And lots of 5 hour trainer rides. And maybe some crying as I had to drive home from a failed ride because it started to snow, knowing I had hours on the trainer ahead of me.

I'd also make sure you get heat acclimated. I wasn't and the run was very hard for me since I had zero heat tolerance. (bad advice from my coach at the time... she said I'd be fine, and she was wrong. and she's now my "former coach")

I'd say if you're experienced with both IM training AND training inside, you'll be fine. If you're new and not used to hours on the trainer, it may be a challenge. For me, the heat acclimation issue is enough to make me not want to do that race again.
2015-10-22 12:46 PM
in reply to: mountain_erin

User image

Utah
I trained for IMTX last year coming from Northern Utah. However, I grew up in Houston, so was well aware of how brutal the heat and humidity can be.

It is very doable if you are prepared for long trainer rides, and mostly indoor training. I still did all my running outside, regardless of conditions. I did the trainer rides without a fan, and often with long sleeves on to be used to being hot, sweaty and miserable.

Very doable and I had a good race. It was my first and I loved it!

2015-11-04 9:29 AM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

I live in WI (office in Twin Cities) and can empathize a bit, although at the other end of the calendar spectrum.  I did Arizona a couple of years ago and once the short daylight hours hit in October/Nov it was hard to get longer rides in outside prior to the November race date.  We all know the different ways we can help make those longer drainer rides more bearable.  You'll be faced with a longer time frame indoors than I was faced with, so I would encourage you to make very efficient use of your time on the trainer rather than wasting a lot of time just spinning without a real focus on what you want to accomplish.  You can effectively raise your bike critical power (or FTP if you use different terminology) without having to spend tons of long hours on the trainer.  But, it takes a good plan and focus on the task at hand.  I also race x-c skiing in winter in addition to running so that is something you may want to explore - great cardio benefits and low impact.  Good luck

2015-11-04 2:48 PM

User image

Following this post. I just posted something similar! I saw there are only 75 spots left for IMTX and I have considered going there, too. I am in Des Moines, Iowa and we can't be outside on our bikes from basically late-November until late March or early April. I have done 2 full IM distance races in the past, but biked mainly outside. I have never ridden my bike for more than 3 hours indoors. How long should these rides be? What programs are people using to make the rides of higher quality. Help!! Thanks for posting. Not trying to hijack but want in on the action.
2015-11-04 2:50 PM
in reply to: midwesttrimom

User image

And, how hot exactly is it at IMTX in May? Just curious. I did IMCoz last year and it was maybe 80s but wasn't super humid and the wind was blowing 40 mph for the majority of the course.
2015-11-05 8:42 AM
in reply to: JeffJoiner

User image

I love this part about your kids' activities. I think I could train with less guilt all winter! I seriously think the trainer rides would suck, but it would not be taking away from anything else! Hmmmm. Thanks.
2015-11-06 7:59 AM
in reply to: midwesttrimom

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by midwesttrimom And, how hot exactly is it at IMTX in May? Just curious. I did IMCoz last year and it was maybe 80s but wasn't super humid and the wind was blowing 40 mph for the majority of the course.

Here were the conditions each year:

May 21, 2011: Max temp 90, dew point 69. Overcast to partly sunny throughout the day.  Humid.  Heat index peaked at about 95 degrees.

May 19, 2012: Max temp 87, dew point 62.  Very sunny.  Not that humid by Houston area standards.  Heat index peaked at about 87 degrees.

May 18, 2013: Max temp 91, dew point 71.  Very sunny.  Very humid.  Heat index peaked at about 100 degrees.

May 17, 2014: Max temp 84, dew point 60.  Partly sunny.  Not humid.  Windy.  Heat index peaked at about 83 degrees.  Only year wetsuit legal.

May 16, 2015: Max temp 88, dew point 73.  Partly cloudy.  Humid.  Heat index peaked at about 92 degrees.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Northern Climate Winter Training for Ironman Texas? Help! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman recovery and training for next ironman?

Started by armckenzie
Views: 1612 Posts: 7

2012-05-30 1:26 PM armckenzie

Ironman Texas

Started by suffer78
Views: 2453 Posts: 17

2007-08-24 10:41 AM RobbieA

Ironman Logistics Help... confused, please help

Started by TacomaLuv
Views: 2309 Posts: 8

2007-05-08 9:07 PM jmk-brooklyn

Weight Training while training for an Ironman

Started by android411
Views: 1110 Posts: 8

2006-05-11 12:27 PM ladavidson

Ironman and 1/2 Ironman training

Started by FIN16
Views: 3727 Posts: 9

2004-10-24 11:21 PM NoisyD
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 9, 2014
author : glyssellee
comments : 10
My race report is different. My motivating factors go back seven years. I have lived in denial for seven years. Depression. I registered for Ironman Texas even though I felt like a complete failure.

date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.
date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training

date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!
date : March 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.

date : September 10, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Your help is needed to keep BT the best of the best.