World Triathlon Corporation
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 10h 40m 32s
Overall Rank = 131/
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 29/
Pre-race routine:

Scott and I arrived what we thought was semi-early, but to our surprise we were close to the back of the line. We quickly loaded nutrition and checked tires before heading out to walk over to the swim start. The walk was a solid 20-25 minutes to get over there. Not difficult, since we were following the masses. Once we arrived. We took our spot, and stood there for the next hour+.

Since we were so far in the back and wrapped down near the docks, we were able to see the first swimmers start coming by. That was super cool actually to start the day. Once they started putting swimmers in the water, the line marches forward. They have that down to an art. Two entry points off the docks.
Event warmup:

It is a full Ironman, no need for a warm up.
Swim
  • 1h 03m 14s
  • 3800 meters
  • 01m 40s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim was slower than I thought. I was expecting to get out in one hour or less....more on the less side. I know it was close, but still, should have been under. The time trial start really breaks up the chaos of an IM swim. Very little contact with the exception of when I would swim up on someone, and then there was plenty of room to navigate around them.

Great part of an IM swim, and starting in the back, is that it makes you feel like a super swimmer. There are so many poor swimmers in an IM (which is saying a lot, since I suck at swimming), and I was blowing past them. If I swam up on an individual and/or a group, with three or four strokes/acceleration I was well clear of them. That made the swim "feel" fast.

Everyone cries about how dirty the water is, which it is, but it is not that bad. I guess everyone wants to swim in bottled water, and at some point we all need to HTFU and get'it done.
What would you do differently?:

speed up and swim faster.
Transition 1
  • 06m 21s
Comments:

Looooooong run to the bags, changing area. I nailed the counting to my bag line, and was seamless getting to my bag. The awesome volunteers had my bag in and waiting.

Nothing
Bike
  • 5h 33m 10s
  • 112 miles
  • 20.17 mile/hr
Comments:

I think the bike is where I got behind the preverbal 8-ball that effected my run. The morning was cold, which means I am slow on my in-take of nutrition. I would guess that it put me an hour to 1.5 hours behind where I should have been. Nonetheless, I had also forgotten to pack my T1 Stealth top which would have provided additional aerodynamics and warmth. It was cold enough that I was “searching” for sun light in the early portions of the bike. There was a big difference from the sun to shade….cold enough my face was a bit frozen in the shade.

The bike is a solid course. I had no issues with the rollers/hills, but more issue with the wind on the top side of lap one and lap two/return. I did enough research on the course to know to take lap one easy in preparation for lap two. Lolli-pop type course with an additional out and back on the “stick”. Two loops around the lolli, and then return not repeating the out & back on the return.

It is a fast out to the out & back along with 3,000 other bikers. Position correctly, and you are good. The out & back has the longest/steepest hills. Downhill, flat, uphill, flat, 180 turn, repeat the other way. You have to be careful during this section because there are some sh*tty bike handlers, everyone is jammed together on a narrow road and the downhills are 40mph+. I just about saw tragedy strike on the climb out where a guy just about lost control and took out the guys climbing. Be careful here.

After the out & back, it is rollers non-stop. Nothing that was over the top, but several times there are momentum killers with downhill turns into climbs so you lose all of that momentum. If you keep it easy, you should have no issues whatsoever.

Highlights had to be the town you roll through at mile 40 & 70. People line the streets, and I think they had a loud speaker calling out racers/where they are from/etc.

Nasty headwind the last 30 miles on the return. Key was to keep tucked and plow ahead. Lots of smaller groups riding together during this section.

Needed to drink more early and set up proper hydration. Got behind the 8-ball unknowinglyand that expresses itself during the run.
Transition 2
  • 06m 28s
Comments:

Again, it was a long run from bike dismount to bike hand-off. Down and around to bag collection and into the tent. High light of T2 is that I saw D00D (Ron Hicks) in the tent. A quick "hey, what's up" and he was out the door.

Hit the rest room and sunscreen as I exited.

pee faster, since it seemed like I peed forever.
Run
  • 3h 51m 19s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Hardest part of this run was the headwind on the out. Good news was that you had a tail wind on the return. You have a slight hill to get up to the main road, but basically the course is flat. Not pancake flat, but it is flat. IMO I think that makes a more difficult run. Nothing to change up the muscles being used etc. There are a couple of very small up/downs which I could definitely tell the body was changing gears (positive), but not enough to get me out of the slump I was in.

I decided to try a different pair of shoes for this IM Marathon. That was a mistake. They are a little bit heavier than my Newtons, and I could not get them to turn over. I guess my theory is you need super light shoes to make it easier to turn over during the marathon on tired legs. The increased weight just felt like lead weights. Should have gone with the Newtons.

Nonetheless, I basically just slow slogged my way through this marathon. Legs were dead, so I just slowed down and marched out. I saw Ron out this a couple of times, Scott and Joe Dollar (for racers). Saw so many friends that were there to cheer everyone on.

Needed to drink more on the bike, but didn't due to the cold start. Focus on hydration more at the next one.
Post race
Warm down:

Post Finish, I felt fine at first but by the time I got to the end of the finishing chute something was off. Apparently, I was sheet white and slightly slurring my words. Long-story-short, I was taken to medical for an IV bag for de-hydration.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

- Low on hydration/nutrition on the bike due to the cold start. I do not take in my normal amount when it is cold, and that set me back about an 1.5 to 2 hours on the bike hydration/nutrition-wise. (see post finish)
-I used a different set of shoes on the run, which are a little bit heavier than the Newtons but provide more support for my feet later in the race. Problem is that when my legs were tired after the bike, I could not get them (my legs) to turn over. Instead, it was like running in cider blocks. Oh well, live and learn.

Event comments:

Great race. I would definitely go back. Course is solid and keeps you honest. As always, the volunteers make the day.

Last updated: 2015-10-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:03:14 | 3800 meters | 01m 40s / 100meters
Age Group: 50/
Overall: 243/
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot Zeith
Course: Upstream along Towhead Island, about 400m past, turn and back down stream to Joe's Crab Shack
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:21
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
05:33:10 | 112 miles | 20.17 mile/hr
Age Group: 33/
Overall: 132/
Wind: Headwind
Course: Loll-pop with an out & back off the "stick".
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 06:28
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
03:51:19 | 26.2 miles | 08m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course: Two loop run course, basically flat. Not pancake flat, but close, very little up and down. Key was to run in the middle of the road, since it did bell-curve off each side.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2015-10-19 12:42 PM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Subject: Ironman Louisville

2015-10-19 8:52 PM
in reply to: #5147628

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville
Congrats on your day, ironman! No way around it, that bike course is tough...
2015-10-21 8:38 AM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Great job out there, Brian! It was nice to see you throughout the day.

I was surprised about the lack of current on the swim. I had a buddy that raced IMLou last year. This year, despite the wetsuit and similar training, he was slower. The bike course is really tough. Those last 30 miles back into town, with the winds and super rough roads, really tested your resolve.You looked strong out on the run course. I never would have thought you were having issues. Game face was on!
2015-10-25 7:54 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Looks like you had a rough day of it.  

Similar to you, I was expecting a faster swim than conditions allowed but to have put down just over an hour takes you out of the slow swimmers category.  Placing in the top 17% of the swimmers in your AG make you fast.

Your bike and run splits are solid as well!  A sub 11 hour IM is not a mediocre result.  Congrats!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Louisville Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ford Ironman Louisville

Started by PureGrrr
Views: 3705 Posts: 8

2007-09-01 9:35 PM marymosc13

Ford Ironman Louisville

Started by Neil Hammond
Views: 3570 Posts: 3

2007-08-28 8:38 PM CitySky

Ironman Louisville Pages: 1 2

Started by Rogillio
Views: 8019 Posts: 33

2007-09-08 9:45 PM joannh13

Ford Ironman Louisville

Started by irongirl39
Views: 4212 Posts: 13

2007-09-02 10:36 AM run joe run

Ironman Louisville Pages: 1 2

Started by katimomma
Views: 7760 Posts: 26

2007-09-01 10:26 AM stephen strange
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : January 6, 2010
author : areyoux8
comments : 14
This is the story of a beginner triathlete's life altering conquest of his first Ironman.
date : August 26, 2009
author : mrakes1
On long runs, I've been taking 4-oz of Gatorade Endurance every 10-minutes, for a total of about 24-oz an hour. Should I boost my liquid consumption on the runs?

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.