of 2

2015-10-19 2:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: go nuts with this swimming blog
:-)

http://trisutto.com/7-swim-myths-triathlon/

what is your favorite ?

And for those that don't know him, the author is one of the most famous tri coaches out there. He is the coach of the female Kona champion Daniela Ryf.

Edited by marcag 2015-10-19 2:29 PM

2015-10-19 4:31 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: RE: go nuts with this swimming blog

Nice.

Glad to see that 4 years ago when my daughter was 10 and "coaching" me one day that her comment to me about thumbs first (#3) is valid!

2015-10-19 5:43 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

My favorite is bi lateral breathing. IDK if I agree with him on the unbalanced part but I think it's over stressed in tri swimming. I found the straight armObservation interesting because watching Chicago ITU on tv the other night I saw a number of women swimming with pretty straight arms. Brought me back to age group days. I kind of miss seeing the windmills. Since its Sutfon this could get good

Edited by Goggles Pizzano 2015-10-19 5:47 PM
2015-10-19 6:10 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Extreme Veteran
I found this one funny :

"Swimmers do great quantitates of kick work to develop the lift that triathletes are able buy straight off the rack"
2015-10-19 7:52 PM

User image

Pro
NJ

'tumble-turn" just sounds better

2015-10-19 8:44 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
I watched some Youtube videos by Gary Rodrigues and he really advocates using pull buoy, ankle bands, and snorkel a lot. Great videos if you ever want to watch them here is the first one and it will lead you to the rest of them. It is broken up into several videos if I remember correctly it ends up being about an hour worth of viewing. I know it is long but well worth it if you have some free time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fi5R65Isxw

Edited by EKH 2015-10-19 8:49 PM

2015-10-20 8:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

What's the benefit of "making sure the stroke is uneven"?

2015-10-20 9:20 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

watch phelps swim, he is a great example of an uneven stroke

2015-10-20 10:35 AM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX

Originally posted by marcag :-) http://trisutto.com/7-swim-myths-triathlon/what is your favorite ? And for those that don't know him, the author is one of the most famous tri coaches out there. He is the coach of the female Kona champion Daniela Ryf.

wonder if he writes a blog on dating

2015-10-20 10:37 AM
in reply to: tjfry

User image

Pro

Originally posted by tjfry

Originally posted by marcag :-) http://trisutto.com/7-swim-myths-triathlon/what is your favorite ? And for those that don't know him, the author is one of the most famous tri coaches out there. He is the coach of the female Kona champion Daniela Ryf.

HAHAHAHA!!! 

2015-10-20 10:39 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by Left Brain

HAHAHAHA!!! 

this wins the thread.

step one....become a swim coach

2015-10-20 12:02 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by dmiller5

HAHAHAHA!!! 

this wins the thread.

Well played.  

2015-10-20 12:51 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Although, I like bilateral breathing, I like this one:
"There is no need to bilateral breathe. You will not create injury because of muscle imbalance.
Roger Federer plays tennis with one arm. It has yet to fall off. Please don’t fall for this."

Mary
2015-10-20 1:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by marysia83

Although, I like bilateral breathing, I like this one:
"There is no need to bilateral breathe. You will not create injury because of muscle imbalance.
Roger Federer plays tennis with one arm. It has yet to fall off. Please don’t fall for this."

Mary

Lots of discussion about this one in the past. The ability to breath on both sides is an important skill. I think everyone agrees to that.
Reducing the amount of oxygen you get, by breathing every 3 strokes or more is not recommended by some. But when Gerry Rodrigues, Gary Hall Sr and Sutto agree on something, there may be some truth to it.

Edited by marcag 2015-10-20 1:29 PM
2015-10-20 1:50 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by marysia83 Although, I like bilateral breathing, I like this one: "There is no need to bilateral breathe. You will not create injury because of muscle imbalance. Roger Federer plays tennis with one arm. It has yet to fall off. Please don’t fall for this." Mary
Lots of discussion about this one in the past. The ability to breath on both sides is an important skill. I think everyone agrees to that. Reducing the amount of oxygen you get, by breathing every 3 strokes or more is not recommended by some. But when Gerry Rodrigues, Gary Hall Sr and Sutto agree on something, there may be some truth to it.

X2.  This issue is that most people use the term, bilateral breathing, incorrectly.  It's not a set pattern of breathing to both sides, which is a bad idea.  It's the ability to breath to either side as needed, which is a good idea.

Doing the former on occasion in training can be a useful training exercise for some athletes, but I'd go as far as say never do it racing, especially in ows.  During races, breathe whenever you need to, and to whichever side you can at the moment.

2015-10-20 2:04 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

HAHAHAHA!!! 

this wins the thread.

As I work through my USOC SafeSport course to renew my USAT certification this week, I keep thinking that it's interesting that the coach of the female Kona champion is guilty of violating the most basic of coach-athlete tenets.

2015-10-20 2:04 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by marysia83 Although, I like bilateral breathing, I like this one: "There is no need to bilateral breathe. You will not create injury because of muscle imbalance. Roger Federer plays tennis with one arm. It has yet to fall off. Please don’t fall for this." Mary
Lots of discussion about this one in the past. The ability to breath on both sides is an important skill. I think everyone agrees to that. Reducing the amount of oxygen you get, by breathing every 3 strokes or more is not recommended by some. But when Gerry Rodrigues, Gary Hall Sr and Sutto agree on something, there may be some truth to it.

X2.  This issue is that most people use the term, bilateral breathing, incorrectly.  It's not a set pattern of breathing to both sides, which is a bad idea.  It's the ability to breath to either side as needed, which is a good idea.

Doing the former on occasion in training can be a useful training exercise for some athletes, but I'd go as far as say never do it racing, especially in ows.  During races, breathe whenever you need to, and to whichever side you can at the moment.

I believe I read some previous discussions on breathing when you feel comfortable. Which I think makes perfect sense.

Would you make it clear on the OWS? I just want to make sure I understand you correctly.
Mary
2015-10-20 2:07 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Pro

HAHAHAHA!!! 

this wins the thread.

As I work through my USOC SafeSport course to renew my USAT certification this week, I keep thinking that it's interesting that the coach of the female Kona champion is guilty of violating the most basic of coach-athlete tenets.

There is not a single piece that guy has ever written that I would take time out of my day to read.....I don't give a rats arse who he's coached.

2015-10-20 2:08 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Extreme Veteran
Would you make it clear on the OWS? I just want to make sure I understand you correctly.
Mary

When you OWS there may be waves hitting you in the face, breathing to the other side helps
The buoys may be on the left or on the right, being able to see them on either side helps sighting and swimming straight
You may have a competitor close by and breathing to the other side may be easier and more comfortable
The person you are trying to draft off their hip may be on the left or right

In a pool you may want to breath to the other side to see a competitor during a swim meet.
2015-10-20 2:12 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Mary

When you OWS there may be waves hitting you in the face, breathing to the other side helps
The buoys may be on the left or on the right, being able to see them on either side helps sighting and swimming straight
You may have a competitor close by and breathing to the other side may be easier and more comfortable

In a pool you may want to breath to the other side to see a competitor during a swim meet.

Thanks! That's what I thought (based on the previous discussions), but wanted to make sure I was not reading it the other way around.
But I've been sick for over a week now, so please don't pay attention if I ask weird/silly question...
Mary
2015-10-20 4:58 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX

HAHAHAHA!!! 

this wins the thread.

There is not a single piece that guy has ever written that I would take time out of my day to read.....I don't give a rats arse who he's coached.

We have a term here in the States. It's "BANNED FOR LIFE". also known as the "14 will get you 5 to 10" rule.

2015-10-20 5:16 PM
in reply to: tjfry

User image

Pro

HAHAHAHA!!! 

this wins the thread.

We have a term here in the States. It's "BANNED FOR LIFE". also known as the "14 will get you 5 to 10" rule.

I wouldn't pizz on him if he was on fire. 

If you have sex with a 14 year old child it's called rape where I'm from.  I'm good with that.

2015-10-20 5:30 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Extreme Veteran

Mary

Thanks! That's what I thought (based on the previous discussions), but wanted to make sure I was not reading it the other way around.
But I've been sick for over a week now, so please don't pay attention if I ask weird/silly question...
Mary

There is never a silly question. And even sick, you have the ability to stay on topic. so there is that :-)
2015-10-20 6:34 PM
in reply to: #5147660

, Ontario
While I would agree that bilateral breathing every three strokes isn't necessary, I would also agree with the comments that learning bilateral breathing is useful so you can breathe on the other side. I think that not only is it useful if the buoys or waves or other swimmers mean you want to breathe on the other side but also because it adds confidence in swimming generally for ows. I have only just learned bilateral breathing and, while I felt like I was learning to drown for the first few weeks , I now believe I will be more confident and will have to take fewer pauses if I get bumped or need to sight the other way in ows which is used to have to do as a unilateral breather
2015-10-20 7:08 PM
in reply to: CarolynS

Sarasota, Florida
Not only does bilateral breathing feel natural to me, but it's therapeutic to my back pain. When I breathe every 2 it can aggravate it on a bad day but I'm also trying to switch between 2 and 6 beat kicks. I want to see if I can use them for extra speed which I'm sure will make me want to start breathing every 2 strokes but so far I'm a 2 beat every 3 even during the race.

The thumbs first thing. Nope. That hurt my shoulder last time I tried.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » go nuts with this swimming blog Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Blog: Masters Swim Workouts

Started by Goosedog
Views: 1851 Posts: 3

2012-03-20 11:50 AM kloofyroland

Garmin AutoPause going nuts?

Started by NewClydesdale
Views: 829 Posts: 5

2011-06-16 6:18 PM YeaJackson

cant train and im going nuts!!!

Started by snaps10
Views: 1184 Posts: 18

2007-04-17 1:11 PM snaps10

time to go nuts.

Started by Torgo
Views: 658 Posts: 4

2004-11-19 1:42 PM CJWonder

taken out of the game by surgery.....going nuts

Started by regaldozer
Views: 727 Posts: 6

2004-04-27 8:46 PM regaldozer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 2, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
While nuts are indeed a calorie-dense food, the good news is nut-eaters are not fatter than people who avoid nuts.

date : April 19, 2005
author : Ron
comments : 0
How to configure and use your triathlon training log or blog.