General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Challenge AC to become IM Atlantic City??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-10-22 7:39 AM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Subject: Challenge AC to become IM Atlantic City???
Lots of folks are talking and there has been some news coverage in South Jersey that a grant that was to fund Challenge Atlantic City will now be redistributed to WTC for Ironman Atlantic City. Press Conference scheduled for today at noon....

Looks like CAC goes bye bye and the Ironman comes in to take over the race. From reports and local speculation, it looks like Delmo will probably stay on as RD. Not sure if they are going to switch it to a half or keep it as a full (same dates or what not).

Anyone out there here anything...?

2015-10-22 9:27 AM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

User image

Exton, PA
Subject: RE: Challenge AC to become IM Atlantic City???
Originally posted by dmbfan4life20

Lots of folks are talking and there has been some news coverage in South Jersey that a grant that was to fund Challenge Atlantic City will now be redistributed to WTC for Ironman Atlantic City. Press Conference scheduled for today at noon....

Looks like CAC goes bye bye and the Ironman comes in to take over the race. From reports and local speculation, it looks like Delmo will probably stay on as RD. Not sure if they are going to switch it to a half or keep it as a full (same dates or what not).

Anyone out there here anything...?

They have a half and a full for the last 2 years, the half has been very successful with 1000 + participants. The full they were struggling with because it does not have the IM name. From what I here Delmo sports will still be running it, I'm sure the coarse will be similar to last year which was a great coarse.

Hopefully more info in an hour or two.
2015-10-22 9:29 AM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

User image

From what I've read Delmo will be partnering with WTC for IAC.  He is the one AC gave the grant to in order to approach WTC to bring ironman to town.  Early speculation is it will be a full but no one seems to have a good guess on late June again or moving to Sept. and if there will be a 70.3

2015-10-22 10:46 AM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

From what I've read Delmo will be partnering with WTC for IAC.  He is the one AC gave the grant to in order to approach WTC to bring ironman to town.  Early speculation is it will be a full but no one seems to have a good guess on late June again or moving to Sept. and if there will be a 70.3

Delmo sports already has the 1/2 and full listed on their web site as being in late June. Currently it is not listed as a IM but I suspect it will stay in June so as not to compete with the only other IM in the area IMMD.

I sent Steve a text 3 or 4 weeks ago about all this but he went dark, understandably so.
2015-10-22 11:44 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Originally posted by mike761

Delmo sports already has the 1/2 and full listed on their web site as being in late June. Currently it is not listed as a IM but I suspect it will stay in June so as not to compete with the only other IM in the area IMMD.I sent Steve a text 3 or 4 weeks ago about all this but he went dark, understandably so.
70.3 in sept.
2015-10-22 1:57 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
This could shower the power of the brand Ironman has.

70.3 is essentially the same race (RD, course) just a different brand behind it.

Looks like the date will switch by pricing will be higher.

How many more registrations will this race get in it's first year at the 70.3 distance versus the combination of the full/half of Challenge?

2015-10-22 2:30 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

2016 - 2,000 entries vs the 557 that finished the half and 158 full this year at CAC.  I got those numbers from the results page and not sure what the actual number was that signed up but I'd guess less then 1,000.

I think keeping Delmo as RD and the time of the switch are going to have a big effect on this race.  He has a strong presence in SJ and does a great job marketing.  So you keep the same guy running it and then add the excitement of ironman coming in and there's new interest.  I had a few people ask me already if I wanted to do it.  Out of those three , two had no idea who challenge was but were "suddenly" interested in a local 70.3.   I feel the issue's with the swim the first year, plus dropping pro prizes second year and adding 70.3 all together kind of hurt CAC.  My guess is the half might have grown if challenge stayed but this should take off.

What I am more curious about is if it will hold up in AC.  Either CAC or ironman I like having a bigger race like that 15 mins away.  But AC is not the historic destination town they make it out to be.  It's just not that nice so I wonder how many will return year after year that have to stay in town.

2015-10-22 2:53 PM

User image

Exton, PA

2016 - 2,000 entries vs the 557 that finished the half and 158 full this year at CAC.  I got those numbers from the results page and not sure what the actual number was that signed up but I'd guess less then 1,000.

I think keeping Delmo as RD and the time of the switch are going to have a big effect on this race.  He has a strong presence in SJ and does a great job marketing.  So you keep the same guy running it and then add the excitement of ironman coming in and there's new interest.  I had a few people ask me already if I wanted to do it.  Out of those three , two had no idea who challenge was but were "suddenly" interested in a local 70.3.   I feel the issue's with the swim the first year, plus dropping pro prizes second year and adding 70.3 all together kind of hurt CAC.  My guess is the half might have grown if challenge stayed but this should take off.

What I am more curious about is if it will hold up in AC.  Either CAC or ironman I like having a bigger race like that 15 mins away.  But AC is not the historic destination town they make it out to be.  It's just not that nice so I wonder how many will return year after year that have to stay in town.

I'm surprised they dropped the full, with the IM name it probably would have done well. September is a better time for the race, as to avoid the busy shore traffic. I do agree that AC is not that nice of a place, but a good place to race. I stay in Ocean City when I go down it only take 20 minutes to get to AC and is actually a nice place to stay.

I did the full this year and it was a good event, just not a lot of people. I thought there was about a 1000 signed up for the half this year, at least that was the numbers people were saying.

Sept date may not work for me, depends on when I have to take my son to college.
2015-10-22 3:22 PM

User image

I also was guessing they would make a full maybe next year.

Honestly, a half within distance of bus transport from NYC - should fill up instantaneously when it opens. Also I think they are working with NY tri clubs for early entry.

If you want in - be prepared to register when it opens.
2015-10-22 3:31 PM

User image

Kind of glad they dropped the full because I had made my mind up if they moved the race to Sept I'd sign up for the 140.6.  I'm in Ocean City also so I'm glad the half is still on and for me either early season or late season is great.  My hope is they add a full back in at some point but I guess that's a long shot.

I'm more worried about a rematch next summer.

2015-10-22 3:35 PM
in reply to: miamiamy

User image

Originally posted by miamiamy I also was guessing they would make a full maybe next year. Honestly, a half within distance of bus transport from NYC - should fill up instantaneously when it opens. Also I think they are working with NY tri clubs for early entry. If you want in - be prepared to register when it opens.

You would think but as Ben was asking we'll see the differece between Challenge and WTC since the former didn't sell out.

Seems they have it open to a lot of clubs.  I'm on the email list for one that is not local and they put out word that they have early registration available. 

2015-10-22 3:36 PM

User image

Exton, PA

Kind of glad they dropped the full because I had made my mind up if they moved the race to Sept I'd sign up for the 140.6.  I'm in Ocean City also so I'm glad the half is still on and for me either early season or late season is great.  My hope is they add a full back in at some point but I guess that's a long shot.

HaHa

Next year I'll wear a sign saying "Goggles is going down!" It will be on my back so you can read it
2015-10-22 4:01 PM

User image

Originally posted by mike761

HaHaNext year I'll wear a sign saying "Goggles is going down!" It will be on my back so you can read it
Then you better line up ahead of me before the swim. That's the last time I'll see it !Anyway , hey Ben you still taking athletes for next season?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Challenge AC to become IM Atlantic City??? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

AC Challenge

Started by mike761
Views: 1237 Posts: 10

2015-06-16 10:07 AM mike761

Race a Relay with T.O. - Challenge Atlantic City

Started by cgregg
Views: 489 Posts: 1

2014-05-20 12:07 PM cgregg

Challenge USA-Atlantic City Pages: 1 2

Started by joncolby
Views: 6639 Posts: 36

2013-09-23 10:43 AM davidamitchell

Atlantic city triathlon

Started by carter28
Views: 713 Posts: 1

2012-02-09 9:25 AM carter28

Brigantine Tri Atlantic City

Started by tydarby
Views: 686 Posts: 2

2005-08-04 11:15 AM TRIBMAC
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 24, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I was in a bicycle accident that left me with a separated shoulder. I went to an orthopedic who said that it had been too long to do surgery because the ligaments would not repair themselves.

date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.