2015-10-27 6:54 PM
in reply to: gary p

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: 21 Day Fix

Originally posted by gary p
Originally posted by dmiller5

this is why I have trouble buying into these systems.  they confuse the issue.

broccoli is 33% protein....

Speaking of confusing the issue, broccoli is only about 3% protein by weight. You'd need to eat about 2.5 lbs of broccoli to get the total protein you'd get in 1/4 lb of chicken breast meat.

I was speaking by % of calorie (and I did mis speak, its 20%).  Do you measure your diet by weight intake, or by calories consumed?  In fact, for someone who is trying to be full and not overdoing the calories, foods that are high in water and fiber will do the trick. 

2015-10-27 7:24 PM
in reply to: autumn

User image

Originally posted by autumn

So far I feel good, even now that I am adding in tri training, but would like to stick to this for the foreseeable future IF it can be done while training. Have had several affirmations of that today which is awesome.

My only suggestion with regards to combining the plan with tri training would be to consider going up a column, or even two, depending what the intensity and duration of your training is that day. You're still pretty unlikely to intake more calories than your burning.
2015-10-27 7:37 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Speaking of confusing the issue, broccoli is only about 3% protein by weight. You'd need to eat about 2.5 lbs of broccoli to get the total protein you'd get in 1/4 lb of chicken breast meat.

I was speaking by % of calorie (and I did mis speak, its 20%).  Do you measure your diet by weight intake, or by calories consumed?  In fact, for someone who is trying to be full and not overdoing the calories, foods that are high in water and fiber will do the trick. 

I measure by neither, I measure by colored cubes! But to be more serious, there is a practical limit to the volume/mass of food one can eat. I wouldn't argue that broccoli is a good thing to eat if you want to lose some weight because it is low in calories and high in many essential nutrients. But protein isn't really one of them. When you look at the essential amino acids, and not just total protein, you'd have to eat 5 lbs of broccoli in a day if you're counting on it to be your protein source. FIVE POUNDS! I don't care how committed you are to the vegan cause, that's a lotta broccoli, and why the protein/calorie ratio of broccoli is a rather useless statistic. It has very low calories/volume. Therefore, it doesn't really matter that much if it has a fairly high protein/calorie ratio.

Edited by gary p 2015-10-27 7:39 PM
2015-10-27 7:39 PM

User image

molto veloce mama

My only suggestion with regards to combining the plan with tri training would be to consider going up a column, or even two, depending what the intensity and duration of your training is that day. You're still pretty unlikely to intake more calories than your burning.

Thanks for that suggestion. Today I burned >1,000 calories from my three workouts, on to of the built in deficit with the plan (with the focus not being on calories, of course). Trying to make sure I time my meals soon after any significant excursion at least.
2015-10-27 7:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I measure by neither, I measure by colored cubes! But to be more serious, there is a practical limit to the volume/mass of food one can eat. I wouldn't argue that broccoli is a good thing to eat if you want to lose some weight because it is low in calories and high in many essential nutrients. But protein isn't really one of them. When you look at the essential amino acids, and not just total protein, you'd have to eat 5 lbs of broccoli in a day if you're counting on it to be your protein source. FIVE POUNDS! I don't care how committed you are to the vegan cause, that's a lotta broccoli, and why the protein/calorie ratio of broccoli is a rather useless statistic. It has very low calories/volume. Therefore, it doesn't really matter that much if it has a fairly high protein/calorie ratio.

You are completely missing the point....but I think the OP gets it so i'm gonna let it rest

2015-10-28 11:53 AM
in reply to: autumn

User image

Originally posted by autumn

Thanks for that suggestion. Today I burned >1,000 calories from my three workouts, on to of the built in deficit with the plan (with the focus not being on calories, of course).

The program is built around the assumption that the video workouts will burn ~400 calories each. If your workouts burn more, you can obviously adjust your intake accordingly.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 21 Day Fix Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Team 3 - Monkey Madness - Check In 2-21

Started by brad1407
Views: 1440 Posts: 15

2007-03-04 7:16 AM TKDJen

Team Skinny 2 - Feb 21 weigh-in Pages: 1 2

Started by gaiaserver
Views: 2464 Posts: 32

2007-02-26 3:34 PM rjba2000

The Good, The Bad and The Skinny Weigh In Here-12/21 Pages: 1 2

Started by willow
Views: 2090 Posts: 34

2006-12-26 8:10 PM TriConvert

tritans, trilean, A, & B group weigh in - 8-21

Started by autumn
Views: 914 Posts: 11

2006-09-01 3:01 AM kathie

1/21 Week Two Weigh In- Post Here your weight Pages: 1 2 3

Started by KathyG
Views: 4447 Posts: 56

2005-01-24 8:52 AM autumn
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 19, 2010
author : Patrick McCrann
comments : 1
Part 2 is about race day pacing, warming up and a discussion on the usefulness of powermeters and heart-rate monitors for half and full Iron distance races.

date : May 5, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
A few tips for beginners during taper week to settle your nerves. Includes a race day checklist and some race day tips.
date : March 19, 2009
author : AMSSM
Would getting the veins fixed have any potential triathlon performance implications? Is there anything else I should be doing for them when I swim/bike/run?

date : September 16, 2008
author : BGTwinDad
In part two of this series of common roadside bike repairs, we show you how to fix a flat tire. Though if you're lucky, a bicycle repairman will wheel by at just the right time.
date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon

date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.
date : September 10, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 12
This video tutorial will show you how to fix a flat tire and also how to change the tire itself. Don't wait until you're out on the course at the races to learn how.

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Is there a magic number of days off for your training plan? Is it a one size fits all or an an individual choice?