General Discussion Triathlon Talk » training with a head cold Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-10-30 9:11 AM

, Tennessee
Subject: training with a head cold
I don't have any upcoming races as we move into November so there isn't anything pressing...however I am really trying to maintain fitness over the winter. I am especially trying to work on my swim and try to get in the pool at least 3x a week. Last week my training was minimal because we were moving. I got back into training this week but woke up this morning with a head cold. Not a bad one but enough that I am feeling a bit under the weather. The general /rule with running was "In your head go ahead, in your chest, better rest" so I sometimes run even with a head cold if it's not too bad. But what about biking and swimming? I skipped my swim this morning so I don't spread my cold around and being in cool water when sick just seemed like a bad idea. I was really looking forward to my long ride this weekend though. I didn't get a long ride in last week because of the move and bad weather so I was really itching to ride Sunday. I am going to rest today and tomorrow and see how I feel, but if it isn't too bad and still just a head cold, would you still ride?

2015-10-30 9:17 AM
in reply to: turnip13

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: training with a head cold
I would probably still ride if the weather was good (and looked like it would stay that way for the duration of the ride) but I would try to keep the intensity low. That might mean (assuming I was in Oregon, where I actually have nice places to ride and people to ride with) doing it solo so I could stick to my own pace, or riding with people that I knew wouldn't push me to ride too hard. If the weather wasn't good or didn't look like it would hold for the ride, I'd probably do an easy trainer session instead just to avoid getting chilled or soaked when I was already sick. With the trainer, you can always easily cut it short if you start feeling worse.
2015-10-30 4:20 PM
in reply to: turnip13

User image

Veteran
Lewisville
For all training I go with "in your head go ahead, in your chest, better rest" or whatever it is. I actually find that swimming when I'm congested or have a head cold makes me feel much better. I say go for it.
2015-10-30 5:24 PM
in reply to: #5149883

, Ontario
I hate the start of a swim with a cold as I get worried I won't be able to breathe, but I have always felt better afterwards same with bike so I would say a yes to both if it is a head (not chest) cold.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » training with a head cold Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Swim, Run or Bike with Head Cold?

Started by LittleAl
Views: 2100 Posts: 11

2009-10-22 9:58 PM EjustE

head cold...no swim...worried

Started by jmholmes
Views: 573 Posts: 3

2009-08-07 11:45 AM jezzieswims

cold weather head gear

Started by jszat
Views: 861 Posts: 4

2008-12-16 4:02 PM Micawber

training when you have a head cold

Started by ssbeaner
Views: 467 Posts: 3

2006-04-19 11:36 AM mermer

Head Cold mysteriously dissapears while exercising

Started by jkbostic
Views: 691 Posts: 11

2004-10-26 9:34 PM jkbostic
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 14, 2014
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 2
Is there an ideal head position? The criteria below will give you a general idea of when you know you have found your sweet spot for head position.

date : February 5, 2013
author : b2run
comments : 7
This is an article with lots of great information about running in temperatures from 0 C to - 30 C.
date : October 9, 2007
author : RaytownPete
comments : 0
”Dang! That water’s cold!” immediately hit me. In these first few seconds, my triathlon goal sunk quicker than my legs and torso had. I now knew this was going to be a lot harder than I imagined.

date : April 2, 2006
author : Manny
Training tips and lessons to keeping your head in the game.
date : March 5, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
When we get ready to train or race, we have a pretty fixed set of thoughts. We are unaware of how they affect our racing.

date : May 30, 2005
author : tmwelshy
comments : 6
I’m only slightly thick in the head, but there is a gremlin-ish energy in the air as I prepare for my run. It occurs to me that this is not gonna be a comfortable 8 miles. This is gonna hurt.
date : April 17, 2005
author : AMSSM
Training in the cold can be effective and fun with some planning. Overall, prepare for the environment, stay hydrated and dry, listen to your body and have a great safe cold weather outing.

date : April 17, 2005
author : AMSSM
Metatarsalgia simply means “painful metatarsal” without defining the cause of the pain. Metatarsalgia most commonly causes pain at the second metatarsal head.