General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training for first Half Iron - Seeking Advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-10-31 2:49 PM

User image

Subject: Training for first Half Iron - Seeking Advice
I just signed up for my first half iron distance in June of next year (Patriot half in East Freetown, MA). I would like some advice on training plans and how many of what distance races to do during training, as well as off-season training ideas.

Next year will be my fourth year of triathlon. The first year I did a few half-sprints building up to a sprint. The following year I did one olympic with a couple of half sprints during training. This year I jumped in with both feet, completing 5 sprints and 2 olympics, and 3 half marathons.

I am not fast. A really good half marathon run pace for me is 10:50, without the other legs before it. My best Olympic 10k pace was 11:14, and sprint 5k was 10:22. My average bike speed ranges from 15 to 17mph, depending on the terrain. I swim 100y in 2:15-2:30. I would like to improve my speed in the off-season.

I am looking for suggestions on which half iron training plan I should follow, and how close to the half iron I should do an olympic as a training race...or if I should stick to sprints. I am currently signed up for a sprint in Florida in mid-March, and considering the Quassy olympic in early June, but that is only 2 weeks before Patriot. Also, ideas for how to use the off-season to improve my speed in all three sports!

Thanks in advance for your advice!

2015-10-31 3:52 PM
in reply to: difraned

User image

Subject: RE: Training for first Half Iron - Seeking Advice
I should have added - I am 52, female, working full time with some travel.
2015-11-01 5:19 AM

User image

Hey difraned!!

No advice from me I'm afraid as I'd appreciate similar advice....! Lots of support though as I am in exactly the same position as you!!! I've done triathlon for three years, next year is the fourth and I'll be doing a half ironman.

If I find anything useful I'll come back and link in this post.

In the meantime you may find the blog I started to record my ironman journey of interest/amusement http://triathlondaddy.com/backstory/

2015-11-01 6:18 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Not sure of your training background, but if you have trained for and completed some Olympic tris, regardless of speed, the beginner HIM program on BT is free, pretty detailed, and I think quite reasonable. I used it while working full time (elementary teacher) and training for my first HIM. The volume is not too ridiculous and it builds quite gradually. I did modify it a bit--I felt the run didn't build up gradually enough, so I built up the long run more in increments, even though I have a strong run background. I'm also a slow biker, and I found that if I'd followed the program to the letter, I'd never have ridden the race distance before the race, so I just rode by distance for the long ride and gradually built to 90-100 km. I also did more brick runs than the program listed, mainly to work out nutrition and figure out how hard I could push the bike and still have a good run. Probably not necessary to do so many if your goal is to complete, not compete. I felt that plan prepared me really well--I raced my HIM and ended up winning my AG (40-44) in a fairly small race in 5:53.

It really wouldn't be different for a slower athlete--everyone does the same distance. Just make sure when the plan specifies time that you actually do build the ability to go the race distance.
2015-11-01 6:24 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

A good way to approach it is to break your training into 2 parts.  Assuming you don't have any significant weaknesses (ie: 40+ minute Oly swim), the simplest way for a first time long course athlete to prepare is by focusing on the bike from now until late winter.  3-4 rides each week including 1 VO2Max intervals and 2 sweet spot lactate threshold intervals.  Then use a HIM plan like those listed here on BT to train specifically for your race from then until race day.

As far as other races before your HIM, sprints and Olys do little to help you develop the pacing, fueling, or hydration skills needed for a HIM.  However, more racing is always good for practicing transitions and gaining experience dealing with race day nerves, changing flats under race conditions, decision making, etc.  These are all race-specific skills, but because of the different physiological demands, I prefer my athletes don't do short course races within the last +/-6 weeks before their targeted long course race.  During this time, training should be specific to your 'A' race.  Racing short course during this period often comes at the expense of the training sessions that would best prepare you for your goal race.

2015-11-01 6:45 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by difraned

I should have added - I am 52, female, working full time with some travel.

A couple of things from my experiences :

Travel and training is hard. I logged 140,000 air miles in 2013. I was lucky, it was always the same cities so I learned where the swim and bike facilities were. In choosing a plan make sure you can work around some of the challenges of travel. There are a lot of tricks to travel and training, depending on the type of travel you do. Some of it was discussed recently in having "focus" weeks. My "focus" weeks were based on my travel schedule.

Don't underestimate the need for recovery. 50+ athletes need it. Throw in the difficulties of travel and work stress. I see physiological markers related to travel. I would do one red-eye per week and it was brutal on my system. I am over 50. Keep recovery in mind when selecting your program.

An Oly 2 weeks before a HIM is borderline IMO. I did it a few times, it works for me, but I have a lot of volume behind me and know my recovery patterns quite well. I would proceed cautiously

Edited by marcag 2015-11-01 6:59 AM

2015-11-01 7:39 AM

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
I'm 58 years old and next year will be my third season of tri's. I did 3 sprints in my first season and last year I moved from sprints up to the Oly and HIM distance. My "A" race was the Timberman HIM in August, so I followed a 16 week training plan and included an Olympic distance race at Quassy in June as part of my prep. I can tell you that the Quassy course is very challenging due to the hills. With that said,I believe that race really helped me prepare for the hills at the Timberman race. I've never done the Patriot, but members of my tri club tell me that since its pretty flat its a great first HIM course. Good luck!
2015-11-03 9:47 AM
in reply to: Triathlon_daddy

User image

Hey Triathlon_daddy...Will be glad to share any new insight beyond replies to this thread. Thanks for sharing your blog! I have been thinking of starting one too, will post a link if I do.
2015-11-03 9:55 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Thanks everybody for your advice! It is very helpful. One other question - I am considering engaging a personal triathlon coach for this journey. I have a recommendation for a local coach from a friend. Have some of you used coaches? What things have you found important for the relationship to work well? Trying to make my list of questions to ask when I meet her to discuss.

Thanks again!

2015-11-03 1:11 PM
in reply to: 0

I used the super simple plan that someone posted here in response to a similar thread.

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2010/09/training/super-simple-ironm...

I don't advocate for or against it.
It worked well for me. The appeal for me was the lack of complexity and little need to do lots of research into terms and learning how to measure RPE/heartrate and track all that stuff. I really liked the idea of "moderately hard" and "faster than you did it yesterday" when it called for it.

For a completer like me, it was more than adequate. 44, with kids. Been doing this for a few years, sprints, in-betweens and an Olympic or two. Never any athlete of any sort before this...I was fat a few years ago. During the training, actually increased time with my family, the workouts during the week were 'short' enough that I was able to get them in in the morning....where previously I'd been going to the gym at night.

I crushed my swim times. My bike times were far higher at that distance than I was projecting before significantly training. And being that I'd only run more than 7-8 miles three or four times before, the run was a complete success.

I'm sure I would have had similar, or likely better results, from other plans. I figured I had enough to worry about in terms of not hurting myself, getting hydration and calories right....without worrying about whether I was evaluating "RPE" at an appropriate level or whatnot. I'd like to get into some of that now that I have some additional confidence.

I didn't use a coach. I was a confident swimmer, if not competent. I got better. I'm sure a coach could really help me learn to swim better and perform better. But, I'm totally racing myself and my expectations. I needed no motivational help either. Pretty determined.

Actual competitors or folks who consider themselves and athlete, even if they're not looking at placing, will have a different approach to both plan and coaching. There's a broad spectrum. Even though, I was definitely giving it everything I had, and that started on day one of the training, I'm still much closer to the completer side than the competer...so bear that perspective in mind if you got this far reading this nonsense.

Edited by jhaack39 2015-11-03 1:13 PM
2015-11-03 4:34 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by difraned Thanks everybody for your advice! It is very helpful. One other question - I am considering engaging a personal triathlon coach for this journey. I have a recommendation for a local coach from a friend. Have some of you used coaches? What things have you found important for the relationship to work well? Trying to make my list of questions to ask when I meet her to discuss. Thanks again!

I am a coach.  IMO, the most important things beyond finding a coach who knows what they're doing are good two way communication between the athlete and coach, and that their philosophies are compatible.

2015-11-03 7:12 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
I also used this plan to train for my first HIM this past August (at 57 years old) and it worked well for me. I intend to do it again this year, only much faster.
2015-11-04 6:46 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I recently started working with a coach (recently, as in the past week!) and am also training for a half-ironman as well as some shorter races next year. It's the first time in 25 years that I've worked with a coach (beyond some masters swim group coaching); I did have an individual run coach for about a year when I was much younger, and an unhappy experience with coaching in college.

I would say for it to work, you need to establish a working relationship with trust and regular communication. It needs to be someone whose qualifications you trust and that you feel meet your needs. There are various certifications that coaches can get from USAT (triathlon), USMS (master's swimming), etc. that can be a starting point. Beyond that, maybe you want someone who has a lot of experience working with older athletes, for example. In my case, I really wanted someone with either a physiology background and/or a lot of experience with training and racing in very hot, humid conditions as that is a big factor in my training and competition here.

Finally, you need to feel comfortable with the coach as a person. I looked at several coaches that I felt were pretty much equally qualified, but just felt better with one of them. Maybe the personalities matched better or something. It wasn't so much a matter of that coach giving me the right answers to my questions, but asking me the right questions that no one else thought to ask. So I would ask about qualifications, experiences working with athletes at a similar age and level to you, how often and how you will communicate with each other, philosophy of training, but also see what they ask you. I think a good coach will ask you about your goals and background, athletic background, what you perceive to be your strengths and weaknesses, other parts of your life, any medical issues that might affect training, etc.

I think a red flag for me with a potential coach would be someone with a rigid, "one size fits all" approach, or someone who seriously limited the amount of communication, especially at the start when you are just getting familiar with the program. Most of the coaches I approached for detailed information were happy to provide references of current and former athletes, and some of them were very generous in discussing their experiences with me. While of course a coach isn't going to give you the e-mail of his/her most disgruntled athlete, it's still very useful to get a feel for things.

Finally, if you don't hit it off with the local coach and don't need a lot of face-to-face instruction (or you have someone who could, for example, help you with swimming in person), you could consider online coaching. There are A LOT of people and organizations out there (I must have looked at over 50 sites) and with the Internet and various online tools like Training Peaks, you can pretty much be coached by anyone from anywhere. (Particularly useful in my case--there are hardly any other triathletes in Vietnam, much less coaches!) There is a big range of services offered and prices as well.
2015-11-05 11:25 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
First - congrats for signing up. I've done Patriot 3 times, and will be back there next June to take it on again. It was my first HIM in 2012. The race attracts athletes of all shapes, sizes, ages, and abiliites, so you’ll find some company no matter your speed.
Training wise, I did not (nor do I) use a coach, and for a plan followed the first 22 weeks of Don Fink's "Be Iron Fit" competitive plan. It served me well. I swam 2x/week, later 3x, with a masters swim class which was immensely helpful. For the bike, all my rides are indoors (until the late spring) using TrainerRoad in conjunction with the Sufferfest videos. This was 3x/week, including a long ride on the weekends. Run was just following the plan, and using a few spring run races as a nice break from just 'training' runs. I usually don’t do any tris in preparation for Patriot. Its my ‘jump right in’ first race of the year, usually.

Good Luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training for first Half Iron - Seeking Advice Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Desperately Need A Ten Week Training Schedule For First Half Iron

Started by niceguy542006
Views: 1188 Posts: 8

2013-02-14 7:22 AM niceguy542006

Seeking concrete training advice

Started by colinphillips
Views: 1194 Posts: 13

2012-03-20 10:24 AM brigby1

Seeking Iron Man volunteer advice

Started by thegoggins
Views: 786 Posts: 4

2011-10-19 4:44 PM japarker24

Marathon training -- seeking advice.

Started by DTraub
Views: 793 Posts: 12

2009-04-17 10:13 PM DTraub

Newbie / bike commuter seeks training program advice

Started by yvr
Views: 722 Posts: 3

2004-10-28 11:12 AM Machiavelo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2015
author : hadleyusa
comments : 1
Training for a specific running event is not as easy as it might seem. Here are some tips and a weekly plan to avoid overtraining and to improve your performance.

date : May 20, 2014
author : leighdodd
comments : 0
My issue is that I am currently deployed and training outside is proving difficult, especially on the bike. I have found a safe 10km running loop but I am struggling with the bike training.
date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.

date : January 20, 2011
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
Using a high-volume schedule for many months is not the best tactic. Build speed and skill several months out, and then transition to a high-volume IM plan.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : April 11, 2007
author : Snoball
California 1/2 Ironman: The run was my biggest fear. Prior to training, I had never run more than two miles at any given time.
date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.