Out Load
70F / 21C
Precipitation
Total Time = 6h 32m 52s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Clydesdale 40+
Age Group Rank = 4/11
Pre-race routine:

Quick intro...this was my first 70.3 and if something could go wrong leading up to this race, it did. My wife and I were staying at the host resort on Saturday night. On the way there, we stopped at a store to pick up a few things. I was wearing sandals and after walking around a bit my feet were getting sore so I thought I should put on my running shoes and realized I had forgot to pack them. Not going to panic. Only an hour from home. Plenty of time to go to packet pickup, meet some friends for dinner and drive home to get them. Go to leave the store and my car dies in the parking lot. Won't start back up. Three hours for a tow truck. My wife was doing the relay and her runner was already there so she came on got us and I had a friend go to my house, get our other car and my shoes and drive them the hour to drop them off. Hats off to them.

Now to race day...

Usual pb&j, banana and diet coke for breakfast. Light drizzle outside. I got my bike bottles ready intending to add ice at the ice machine that I knew I would pass on the way to transition. Of course it doesn't work. Luckily I saw a guy in transition filling his bottle from a bag of ice and he didn't use it all. He graciously offered me what was left which was the perfect amount.

Got transition set up best I could. If I had been thinking I would have had zip locks to put socks in to keep them try. Another hiccup on the day.
Event warmup:

Stuffed myself into my wet suit and walked over to the swim start. I didn't realize we would be able to get into the water prior to the race but since we could I took advantage to get my suit wet and swim around for a few minutes. I am a slow but confident swimmer but I hadn't been able to get a practice swim in with the wet suit this season. Felt ok though and ready to race.
Swim
  • 54h 21m
  • 2200 meters
  • 2h 28m 14s / 100 meters
Comments:

Decent swim for me. Was hoping to go a bit quicker buy I can tire myself out on the swim if I go too hard.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe learn to push a little harder.
Transition 1
  • 03m 20s
Comments:

I couldn't get a hold of my wet suit zipper to get it started for the stripper. I asked him to help and we got it off pretty quickly.

Nothing really.
Bike
  • 3h 08m 59s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.78 mile/hr
Comments:

Was supposed to keep heart rate in upper zone 1 to lower zone 2. I was in middle zone 3 most of the ride. I was a little concerned but felt good and didn't want to slow down. My plan was to grab a big gear on the downhills but ended up just coasting on most of them to give my heart rate a break. I was fairly happy with the pace. I hoping for 19mph or so but with the rain and wind almost averaging 18 was fine with me.

Nothing.
Transition 2
  • 02m 41s
Comments:

Nothing great in T2. Got racked, got my shoes and race belt on and took off.

Nothing
Run
  • 2h 23m 33s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Plan was to keep in upper Z1 lower Z2 and pretty much kept to it. Ran the entire time (remember I am a Clydesdale so running isn't easy for me). Slowed at aid stations for gatorade and gels. Great crowd support around the resort. I have only run 2 official stand alone half marathons prior to this (ran the distance in training many times). The 2:23 is a half marathon PR for me by a few minutes so I was pretty happy with it.

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Bottle of water, beer and pizza.

Event comments:

I figured I would have to go under 6 hours to podium. With the 6:32 I wasn't even paying attention to the standings even though we hung out until the very last person finished. My wife did say I wasn't in last place which I guess was good. Turns out I got 4th out of 11. Here is the kicker though...in the past this race always had an under 40 Clydesdale and an over 40. For some reason the combined them this year. If they had still been separate I would have been in 1st as I beat all of the other over 40 Clydesdale's.

This was a great race though and I will probably do it again next year.

Last updated: 2015-11-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
54:21:00 | 2200 meters | 2h 28m 14s / 100meters
Age Group: 10/11
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Sleeveless Wet Suit
Course: Left beach took a hard right about 200 yards in. From there straight shot out to turn around buoys.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:20
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:08:59 | 56 miles | 17.78 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/11
Wind: Some
Course: Lollipop shape with rolling hills. Light rain/drizzle for pretty much all of the ride.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:41
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:23:33 | 13.1 miles | 10m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/11
Performance: Good
Course: 3 loops around a golf course. Mostly flat with a couple of small inclines. A few sections were over grass which turned to mud throughout the day.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-11-04 1:42 PM

Subject: Oilman 70.3
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Oilman 70.3 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Oilman 70.3

Started by blazergrn
Views: 750 Posts: 1

2015-06-19 4:54 PM blazergrn

Oilman

Started by txjp
Views: 872 Posts: 1

2013-11-04 2:11 PM txjp

Ford Ironman 70.3 Honu

Started by crusevegas
Views: 3310 Posts: 17

2006-06-12 11:03 AM crusevegas

Oilman Half Ironman Triathlon

Started by M2Biker
Views: 2012 Posts: 3

2004-12-29 10:47 AM dragoman

Oilman

Started by royj
Views: 1534 Posts: 8

2004-12-09 5:41 AM royj
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 29, 2015
author : Seht
comments : 8
My race from obesity to Vineman 70.3

date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?
date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.

date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.
date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.

date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.