General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Early Spring 70.3 races Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-11-04 2:45 PM

User image

Subject: Early Spring 70.3 races
I am looking for some good races to look into for April of 2016. I live in the midwest so hoping to find some within driving distance of Des Moines. Ten hours is sort of my max for driving. Any good events you have done in the past or are helping with this next year? Would love to hear about courses, organization, etc.

Thanks!

2015-11-04 3:07 PM
in reply to: midwesttrimom

Subject: RE: Early Spring 70.3 races
I don't have any input on 70.3s. But, did you do the former HyVee?
If so, how was it? Bummer about HyVee deciding to spend more on Drake Relays, but HyVee does plenty. Hard to gripe about them.
Seems like they still drew some serious pros....female World Champ. And for the few years before, that Hunter guy that all the kids love. With all the avid cycling in that state...sheesh....you'd think they'd have a 70.3 or two or three.

Plus, it's Iowa. Just a great place. As a former adopted Iowan...I'd love to move back.

Go Hawks!

2015-11-05 8:20 AM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

I have done Hy-Vee several times and this year it was the Des Moines Triathlon, which was still well organized! There were several world champions there! I loved it. I just wish we had more 70.3 races in the midwest!! Frustrating! Go Hawks!
2015-11-05 10:56 AM
in reply to: 0

Saylorville, Red Rock....plenty of swimming options with wide open spaces and manageable roads that get far enough from the 'metro' to get access to less heavy dependent roadways. Macbride in the east. The one down in the south. Or something at Okoboji? That'd be a hoot, although they might not have the local volunteer resources there.

And if there's ANYONE that knows how to deal with large numbers of cyclists on rural roads/highways.....and a population of drivers that knows how to deal with large numbers of cyclists on state highways/county roads that might have to be closed.....it's Iowa.

The only real problem I could think of would be that I'd have to keep reminding myself to not pull over and have a porkchop from "Porkchop Guy" at lunchtime and that I might not be able to grab a slice of pie from the "Ladies Guild" of the local Lutheran church as I roll through some small town. Although, I'm betting they'd be available. It'd wreak havoc on my time. Gotta love a 6 day, 750+ bike ride in which most of the riders actually gain weight.

There's two down here in the St. Louis area. One's usually September, the other in October....I think. Never done either. One's hilly, the other's dead flat.

There was talk two years ago of STL hosting an IM branded 70.3....replacing the Kansas one that's not renewed with the IM brand. Not heard/seen boo about it since they talked to some of the city councils and had the bike course laid out....nearly 2 years ago. It was supposed to be early spring. I would think it's a no go as they'd have had to have the registration underway by now.

Edited by jhaack39 2015-11-05 11:03 AM
2015-11-05 12:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS

April is pretty early for a 70.3, or any triathlon distance in the Midwest that doesn't involve a pool swim. It looks like 10 hours of driving can get you as far south as Tennessee but I didn't see any races popping up on Trifind.com for the month of April.

The earliest that I'm aware of is Legend 70 (the former IM 70.3 KS site) during the first weekend in June. Last year's race was still just as good as WTC's.

2015-11-05 1:34 PM
in reply to: Barkeep

User image

New user
Overland Park, KS
Originally posted by Barkeep

April is pretty early for a 70.3, or any triathlon distance in the Midwest that doesn't involve a pool swim. It looks like 10 hours of driving can get you as far south as Tennessee but I didn't see any races popping up on Trifind.com for the month of April.

The earliest that I'm aware of is Legend 70 (the former IM 70.3 KS site) during the first weekend in June. Last year's race was still just as good as WTC's.

And the nice thing about KS races in June is it is always cool.

I think the closest you'll find for April 70.3 is the Ochsner Ironman 70.3 in New Orleans in April or you might find something in Colorado, both probably 15+ hr drives from Des Moines though.

2015-11-05 6:56 PM
in reply to: #5150734

User image

Fort Madison, Iowa
I don't know any good 70.3 Races around here in the spring either but I usually do the Pioneer Sprint in Petersburg, IL in April. It has an indoor swim so it is a good early race in the Midwest to dust off the winter.

I did the Des Moines Triathlon this year. It is the rebranded HyVee. I thought it was a great race. it was well organized, good course, good fan support, and several well know pros. I would recommend it to anyone in the area.
2015-11-06 8:31 AM

User image

April is pretty early! I think of my early season races as starting in June. With that being said, I would recommend the GR Tri in early June. Great race, fast, and put on by great people. I volunteered with transition setup last year and raced the Oly. This year it will be my first 70.3. Lots of local breweries, museums, etc to visit before and after as well.
2015-11-06 8:47 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Going to be hard for what you are searching for and when.

I would echo what everyone else has said, NOLA 70.3 is mid April and is a cheaper option of what you've be able to pull from. Drive is probably 12 hours is for you. I just booked my flight for under $300 from Thurs-Mon, race is at $225 right now.

If you wait even just a month you will have many other options available.
2015-11-16 8:24 AM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Originally posted by jhaack39

Saylorville, Red Rock....plenty of swimming options with wide open spaces and manageable roads that get far enough from the 'metro' to get access to less heavy dependent roadways. Macbride in the east. The one down in the south. Or something at Okoboji? That'd be a hoot, although they might not have the local volunteer resources there.

And if there's ANYONE that knows how to deal with large numbers of cyclists on rural roads/highways.....and a population of drivers that knows how to deal with large numbers of cyclists on state highways/county roads that might have to be closed.....it's Iowa.

The only real problem I could think of would be that I'd have to keep reminding myself to not pull over and have a porkchop from "Porkchop Guy" at lunchtime and that I might not be able to grab a slice of pie from the "Ladies Guild" of the local Lutheran church as I roll through some small town. Although, I'm betting they'd be available. It'd wreak havoc on my time. Gotta love a 6 day, 750+ bike ride in which most of the riders actually gain weight.

There's two down here in the St. Louis area. One's usually September, the other in October....I think. Never done either. One's hilly, the other's dead flat.

There was talk two years ago of STL hosting an IM branded 70.3....replacing the Kansas one that's not renewed with the IM brand. Not heard/seen boo about it since they talked to some of the city councils and had the bike course laid out....nearly 2 years ago. It was supposed to be early spring. I would think it's a no go as they'd have had to have the registration underway by now.

Hahahaha.

IM Branded race in the Missiouri area would be AWESOME! I am contemplating Boulder 70.3...June I think. Late, but
supposed to be an amazing event and I could drive out there, I guess...

Thanks!
2015-11-16 8:26 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Thanks. 12 hours doesn't sound too bad. I was thinking more like 14-16 hours, but didn't look. I probably can't fly with all of my travel over the last couple of years and a Canada and Mexico trip for personal stuff this next year. I wish I could fly all over to race!! Maybe some day when the kids get a bit older. I am considering Colorado, although later. (Boulder 70.3). Thinking now of a late season Ironman so maybe an August or Sept race will do.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Early Spring 70.3 races Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Panama 70.3 or other early Feb races?

Started by turtlegirl
Views: 684 Posts: 2

2013-01-23 12:51 PM rlowary

Help Picking a N.East 70.3 in early 2012 (longish) Pages: 1 2

Started by bdenehy
Views: 2668 Posts: 26

2011-09-12 4:37 PM bdenehy

Early Spring Race Gear

Started by BLR119
Views: 629 Posts: 3

2010-03-02 12:57 PM Dlaxman31

Training Advice for this Winter and Early Spring

Started by Grazer
Views: 827 Posts: 4

2009-10-06 2:47 PM schmize

Choosing a Spring HIM in early June 2008, please help :)

Started by Fred D
Views: 1662 Posts: 16

2007-09-03 9:04 PM ScottoNM
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.

date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.
date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.

date : April 17, 2005
author : AMSSM
Training in the cold can be effective and fun with some planning. Overall, prepare for the environment, stay hydrated and dry, listen to your body and have a great safe cold weather outing.