RAM Racing
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 04m 59s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:15, ate a few leftover oatmeal pumpkin pancakes plus coffee for breakfast. Didn't bring anything extra with me so didn't have to both with Gear Check.
Event warmup:

Got into Grant Park with enough time to use the potties twice and do some light stretching (calves and hips) before the race. Tried to sit as much as possible (learned from standing too long before the marathon!)
Run
  • 2h 04m 59s
  • 15 kms
  • 08m 20s  min/km
Comments:

I think I ran twice in the week before this race for a total of less than 6 miles, and those were my first runs after the marathon, so I can't say I really trained for this event. I felt pretty good going into it except my QL was bothering me in my back and my right knee started feeling stupid (it went away eventually). I guess I just felt rickety but I was able to stay strong and consistent- my splits were all almost exactly 13:25, even with a potty stop at mile 3ish (I need to stop drinking coffee before races). I stuck to a 5:1 run/walk interval and finished strong, even passing people on the hilly bits towards the end.

I also PR'd this race by 5 min so yay! Wish it was more.
What would you do differently?:

Run consistently before the race and not drink coffee in the AM. The distance is long enough that it's challenging/interesting but not so long that I can't phone it in on the back of my summer training, which I usually what ends up happening.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked the very long distance to the finish party, wolfed down my chocolate mug, waited for a friend could finish so I could say hi. Stretched a bit at home, did the ice bucket, massaged my feet and ankles.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not training consistently after the marathon. I told myself I'd wait 2 weeks after the marathon to run again but it ended up being 3 weeks which is fine. I probably needed all that time off anyway.

Event comments:

Everything was on time and well organized which is not something I can say for past RAM events, so gold start there. The beginning of the course (the route and the crowds) were super annoying so just a heads up- I would have been ticked if I was trying to PR a 5k and was stuck in all that mess for over a mile. Other than the other odd parts of the course, it was a solid race.

Last updated: 2015-11-09 12:00 AM
Running
02:04:59 | 15 kms | 08m 20s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Mostly flat through the city (some short hills towards the end). First part was really weird when it tried to mimic the start of the Chicago Marathon but stayed on Lower Wacker for almost a mile. That was pretty gross. It was also super crowded as the 15K and 5K started together and while I was in the last corral for the 15k, I felt like I couldn't even really run at my pace because the course was so crowded and there were plenty of inexperienced racers just weaving all over the place, stopping randomly, running back to find friends, etc. It was ridiculously chaotic until the 5k split off. Then it was south on Michigan Ave to 31st street where it went along LSD, through a tunnel under McCormick place (which was also shitty because it was dark and the road was in bad shape) and then up through the museum campus and into Grant Park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-11-09 2:13 PM

User image

New user

Chicago
Subject: Hot Chocolate 15K - Chicago
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hot Chocolate 15K - Chicago Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hot Chocolate 15K - Chicago

Started by MUENCH
Views: 752 Posts: 1

2014-11-03 10:46 AM MUENCH

Started by rdietz
Views: 870 Posts: 1

2013-11-04 10:07 AM rdietz

Started by The Chupacabra
Views: 1049 Posts: 1

2013-11-03 12:46 PM The Chupacabra

Started by jcwise
Views: 831 Posts: 1

2012-11-16 11:05 AM jcwise

Started by pmtaylor621
Views: 1496 Posts: 4

2012-11-07 10:17 AM pmtaylor621
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 27, 2015
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
The benefits of beet juice, chocolate milk and caffeine in enhancing endurance activities. Are slow or fast carbs better? Also, what is the best way to stay strong?

date : April 23, 2012
comments : 2
Lose weight by eating chocolate for breakfast. Refuel after your workouts not with a sports drink, but instead with chocolate milk.
date : August 10, 2010
comments : 3
Is chocolate healthy? Is it little more than an alluring form of refined sugar, saturated fat and empty calories? Or does chocolate have positive qualities to help athletes?

date : May 24, 2010
author : mrakes1
Discussion on chocolate milk for recovery after workouts and Ironman bike fueling.
date : December 12, 2009
If you are looking for a simple, yet special, gift for your running buddy, teammate, or active friend, enjoy making one of these recipes that will be sure to please any hungry athlete.

date : June 9, 2009
comments : 3
An easy, healthy hot meal you can quickly cook with many ingredients you already have in your kitchen.
date : December 3, 2008
author : dexter
comments : 15
What are rollers? How can rollers help your bike training? Learn how to use your first set of rollers without doing too much bodily harm to yourself.

date : September 3, 2008
Discussions on training for a hot IM, hydration, workout recovery nutrition, maltodextrin, no energy on a 45' bike ride and morning workout nutrition strategies.