General Discussion Triathlon Talk » long bike rides near Minneapolis Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-11-16 12:40 PM

User image

Subject: long bike rides near Minneapolis
Hello everyone,

I am wondering where others are bike training outdoors, for an Ironman specifically. I've been to some of the main trails in the area (Cedar Lake Trail, Luce Line Trail, Kenilworth Trail, Lake of the Isles, and I go through Theo Wirth to get to them as I live in Golden Valley). The thing that I run into is that there are so many stops (crossing roads, stop signs) and other users on these trails that it makes it hard to have a fast, strong, and continuous workout (not to complain about these trails, they just aren't working for me!). Does anyone have any good county road or trail that they enjoy training for long distances on? I am fine with driving 20-30 miles to get there as I do my longest bike rides on the weekends or when I have a day off

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

2015-11-16 1:24 PM
in reply to: afin03

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: long bike rides near Minneapolis
Hi. I live in Minnetonka and mainly ride NW, W and SW of here. I really like County Rd 6 that runs E-W through Plymouth. You can take the Luce Line west then jog north to get on Cnty Rd. 6 around Vicksburg. You can head West from there about as far as you want then south around lake Minnetonka and then head back E and maybe connect to the path that runs form Hopkins back to Mpls? Cedar Lake Road and Minnetonka Blvd are other options to take you back towards Golden Valley.

Have fun scouting out routes! There are some online resources too for finding biking routes. Google is your friend :-)
2015-11-16 3:12 PM
in reply to: ejshowers

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I like to use current or old bike race routes, like the Liberty triathlon half iron distance route.

Current: http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/422128176

Old course: http://www.mapmyride.com/us/medina-mn/liberty-triathlon-1-2-iron-bike-course-route-25904066

I've done the second one, or parts of it, a bunch of times.  If you don't mind some of the slower in-town riding, you can certainly ride TO the course as well. I live in Hopkins and ride to Wayzata (8 miles, pretty fast route), and then head north from there up Ferndale.  Ferndale connects with 6, which is part of the Liberty route and also connects to a ton of  good riding in all directions.     This is a good part of town where folks expect to see road and tri bikes.

Have fun!

2015-11-17 7:42 AM

User image

Master
, Minnesota
I favor the East metro. Lots of good roads with shoulders and low traffic volume in the St croix river area between Chisago and Afton.

Originally posted by afin03

Hello everyone,

I am wondering where others are bike training outdoors, for an Ironman specifically. I've been to some of the main trails in the area (Cedar Lake Trail, Luce Line Trail, Kenilworth Trail, Lake of the Isles, and I go through Theo Wirth to get to them as I live in Golden Valley). The thing that I run into is that there are so many stops (crossing roads, stop signs) and other users on these trails that it makes it hard to have a fast, strong, and continuous workout (not to complain about these trails, they just aren't working for me!). Does anyone have any good county road or trail that they enjoy training for long distances on? I am fine with driving 20-30 miles to get there as I do my longest bike rides on the weekends or when I have a day off

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

2015-11-17 8:44 AM
in reply to: leapdog

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

We should meet up for a BT bike ride.  How about sometime next April? 

2015-11-17 11:31 AM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Let's get the fat bikes out and go right now!

2015-11-19 12:41 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove

Lots of consensus around Cty 6... I live in Maple Grove and do both the old Liberty as well as the MG tri routes. Cty 19 is a nice north-south and actually has a trail from 24 up to 117 near Hanover. Sometimes I'll combine the Liberty and MG routes for a big loop. I've also taken 6 out to Watertown. 92 is another nice route south from 6, and hooks up with the Dakota trail in St. Bonnie. You could take that back into Wayzata. I've also done a nice ride from Woodbury down to Afton, which had some great hills and mimics IMWI course somewhat

Edited by rdailey1 2015-11-19 12:42 PM
2015-11-19 2:10 PM

User image

Thank you all so much! I actually did the Lib Tri this past summer and thought about going out there for long rides, I didn't realize that is what so many others are doing also! I look forward to the spring/summer time to possibly go on rides with fellow tri people. I don't have any friends who are into it..yet anyways!
2015-11-22 11:46 AM

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN

Originally posted by afin03 Hello everyone, I am wondering where others are bike training outdoors, for an Ironman specifically. I've been to some of the main trails in the area (Cedar Lake Trail, Luce Line Trail, Kenilworth Trail, Lake of the Isles, and I go through Theo Wirth to get to them as I live in Golden Valley). The thing that I run into is that there are so many stops (crossing roads, stop signs) and other users on these trails that it makes it hard to have a fast, strong, and continuous workout (not to complain about these trails, they just aren't working for me!). Does anyone have any good county road or trail that they enjoy training for long distances on? I am fine with driving 20-30 miles to get there as I do my longest bike rides on the weekends or when I have a day off Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

I live on the west side of Bloomington and do my long rides from my house. I have a nice 90 mile ride to just past Montgomery. Bloomington Ferry bridge to 101 to Marshall road in Shakopee. 280 into Jourdan then South to New Prague and Montgomery. Roads are generally good condition with wide shoulders. Generally other bikers around if your run into problems. Gas stations in Shaklee, Jourdan, New Prague and Montgomery for water/food, etc. Its a good ride and yes, as other have indicated a BT ride would be fun. 

2015-11-24 8:38 AM

If you like trails similar to the ones you mentioned but without as many stops and likely high traffic I suggest you check out the "Dakota Rail Trail" which runs from downtown Wayzata out west about 25mi one way. Well paved, the stops are more slow-rolling intersections and there isn't much traffic. Has some sections you can really open up on and some places along the way for a stop if desired. Best trail I've found in the area and will be on it a lot next spring
2016-01-17 10:21 PM
in reply to: ilikepizza

User image

Minneapolis, Minnesota
We should totally have BT bike meet up this spring.

I live right on the cedar lake trail at HWY 100. From where i sit i can go out to still water and back doing 80mi route with going to St. Paul or cut the route shorter and go through the U of M Minneapolis campus. I can also bike all the way out to the Dakota and off to New Germany all by bike trails and minimal roads with bike lanes.

The trail system here in Minnesota is amazing once you figure out all the places that it takes you. I went on so many 50+ mile loop rides last summer all bike trails and never going down streets.

2016-01-18 7:01 PM
in reply to: rdailey1

User image

hahaha!
I live on County Road 6 in Independence. During the summer there are so many people riding on it that is seems like a bike race.

Decent hills, super wide (10') medians on the side. Good road surface and not many concerns for cars. I start at my house, do 2 loops from Hwy 92 to St. Boni to Hwy 7 to Watertown and then 1 loop to Highway 101 and back for a 100 miles. Nice thing is that you are never too far from civilization in case of breakdown or you just need to cut your ride short.

You can park at the Luce Line trail at Hwy 19/Cty 6 or Hwy 92/Cty 6 and bike 1/4 mile north to Hwy 6 and ride for hours.
2016-02-23 12:43 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Richfield, Minnesota
A little late I realize, but I am just getting back into BT. I know exactly what you mean as I lived in Golden Valley for 4 years. There were lots of great trail options nearby but most have a lot of stops and people. The Dakota rail trail is a good option, less starting and stopping compared to other trails, especially once you get out a ways. My buddy and I rode this from Wayzata to New Germany a few years back. I think it turned out to be something like a 40 mile ride round-trip.

On a separate note I would be up for a group BT ride once the weather improves.

Edited by mmishler 2016-02-23 12:47 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » long bike rides near Minneapolis Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bike registration in Minneapolis

Started by BikerGrrrl
Views: 837 Posts: 1

2013-05-28 3:46 PM BikerGrrrl

long bike rides

Started by TrBeau17
Views: 981 Posts: 6

2012-10-05 11:16 AM leapdog

Rides/Swim near Edina/EP/Hopkins

Started by KathyG
Views: 1815 Posts: 13

2011-07-26 1:26 PM KathyG

Visiting Minneapolis looking for bike rental

Started by miamiamy
Views: 3548 Posts: 10

2011-06-03 8:50 AM ethanMN

Bike from Minneapolis to St Cloud

Started by Slahmmer
Views: 2737 Posts: 6

2008-05-16 12:32 PM lpeitso
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
comments : 0
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : January 8, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
I am in the market for a new road bike, at several local bike stores I will test ride several bikes. Other than basic fit and components, how should I compare them while doing a test ride?
date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?

date : November 12, 2008
author : AMSSM
On the long bike rides of 80+ miles I get very strong pain in my toes. I slow down my pace and I might recover, but when I hit the next hill it is back. Could this be some kind of circulation issue?
date : July 8, 2008
author : Writebrained
comments : 10
Riding Zen means nothing more than being keenly aware of your surroundings and in control of your emotional state at all times. It also means riding safe and riding smart.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.
date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.

date : January 1, 2006
author : AMSSM
I read an article that this type of pain comes from straining the neck, especially from riding a road bike. What can you tell me about this type of injury?