United States
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 09m 35s
Overall Rank = 10831/21012
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 985/2072
Pre-race routine:

My husband's first 10K, hereby referred to as EFP. We drove to Annapolis to do packet pickup and check out the race expo and meet up with Cuda, who wanted to drive separately. When we parked, I hit the button in my car to open the hatch, then ran around to get under the hatch quickly since it was raining. I don't know what happened that caused the hatch to start closing, but I didn't realize it was coming back down as I ran under, or, more specifically, into it. Oh. My. Gosh. that hurt so bad!!! It really shook me up and my head really hurt. Thankfully I hit the plastic covered inside part of it and not the metal edge or I'd probably have needed serious care.

Got our packets and shirts for ourselves and for LT and PB who weren't getting into the area until the evening, then checked out the expo. Got some freebies, got a great deal on CEP socks - buy 2 pair, get one free. EFP got 2, I got the 1. :) Found a little foam shark that some kid dropped after the kids' run - score! Big kids like sharks, too. :)

Next we did bag check, which meant transferring all items from our backpacks into smaller, clear plastic bags with our bib# stapled to them. A slight unexpected twist, but I totally get the need for security and it was fine.

My head hurt on and off to varying degrees the rest of the day. I let Eddie drive to dinner because driving back from the expo made it hurt worse somehow. We checked in and waited for LT and PB to arrive, then we met more friends for dinner. We were going to go to Longhorn but the wait was too long, so we went to DuClaw across the street. Much better choice, IMO. Better beverages if nothing else! I had a barley wine, Devil's Milk which was delicious and also 10.5% ABV. Yeah, one and done there!

Headed back to the hotel to chill then hit the hay. Cuda brought breathe-right strips to prevent herself from snoring too bad and gave one to EFP (who I was MUCH more worried about snoring). I heard one of them snoring lightly overnight but neither one was loud (talkin' to you, EFP, aka buzz saw). I assume I wasn't, either. ;) I slept better than usual for the night before a race.

My head felt surprisingly OK race morning (just don't touch it!). EFP and I got up around 5 or so to get ready, Cuda got up around the time we left. She wanted to drive separately since her wave started much later and she didn't want to have to go early with us. Pop Tart (frosted cherry, natch) and iced tea were my breakfast, which is my go to pre-race breakfast. Hey, not the healthiest but I've found it works well.
Event warmup:

I drove us to one of the parking areas where we boarded a shuttle bus to take us to the start area. Once at the start area, EFP hit the porta-johns, then we walked toward the pre-staging. We got a few pics of the sunrise and the bridge, then heard the national anthem and watched the early waves start the race! Such a great location for an event. Beautiful morning, too. The rain from the previous day was long gone and gave us a clear sky with bright sunshine and some wind.

We stood around a while, people-watched, then stretched and kept warm. Another porta-john visit for each of us (EFP may have gone one more extra time, IDK), then we moved toward the actual staging area as our wave start neared. We stripped off our extra LS tees and put them in the bin for donation (great idea, BTW, especially since some folks didn't realize they weren't getting their things back and some very nice clothing ended up being 'donated').

Somehow we got to the start corral in between waves. We considered jumping in on the tail end of wave 4 but instead waited until they staged our wave, 5. Did some more little stretches and things to stay warm until they did the anthem again (they did it every so many waves, 5, apparently, to make sure that most people got to hear it and have a similar race experience). The announcer counted us down - and we're off!
Run
  • 00m
  • 10 kms
  •  min/km
Comments:

My run training was waaaay off from where it should be because of my lack of ambition and drive after the passing of my father in Sept, so I was a bit concerned how the race was going to go. I had only done a handful of short runs over the past two months, none longer than 4 miles. Oh well, after much mental reframing, I decided it will be whatever it will be, I will just do my best to enjoy the day, the experience and have fun with EFP and my friends.

We started off at a conservative pace, weaving around people and being weaved around. EFP kept running into me. He isn't known for walking or running very straight. ;) It is less than a mile of running on terra firma before getting on the bridge, and there was a fair amount of jostling in that section. I was glad to hit the bridge because it's the best part about the race (except for finishing, of course!).

Looking ahead, I saw a big cruise ship preparing to go under the bridge, exciting! I wanted so badly to be closer to it when it went under but it was surprisingly fast and was already under/through til we got to it. Honestly I wasn't sure it was going to fit!

Running over the bridge is so pretty and interesting. We saw huge tankers out in the shipping lane. Seagulls wheeled overhead (don't poop on me!). Coast Guard and police boats as well as personal watercraft were along the route. EFP enjoyed waving at them; I was content to thank the police and medical personnel stationed on the bridge. Cars on the other bridge honked and people waved. The water was choppy and it was enjoyable to watch the waves break against the pilings/supports of the other bridge. Good stuff.

The first 3 miles weren't too bad, but sometime after mile 3 I really wanted to walk but I was more determined to get to the apex of the bridge without needing to walk in my less-than-in-shape shape. While on the bridge, the wind was kind of a cross-wind mixed with a headwind, maybe from the 10 o'clock position. Finally we got to the top and of course I kept running. Downhill from here, mostly!

I did OK on the downhill, although I kept persuading EFP to just go without me. I wasn't running up to my usual pace and I didn't like holding him back. Naturally he didn't want to. Ugh. Just go! No. Fine.

Once we came off the bridge, it wasn't much longer til I started having a very weird and painful problem. My pelvis really, really hurt as if the bones were rubbing each other or had come disjointed or something. Running hurt, so I slowed to a walk. Walking hurt (but less), and I wanted to take just a little break to try to get the pressure off my pelvic bones, so I pulled off and put my hands on the guardrail to unweight my body. Almost immediately a volunteer arrived, asking if I was OK, basically telling me to keep moving. I said, "I have a painful, weird cramp". He told me there were medical people ahead that could help me with my cramp. Uh, thanks, but they cannot help me where the pain is! I didn't say this and instead painfully tottered on. I'm sure it was more of a security issue than anything, which I totally understand, I just wanted a tiny break!

Onward we pressed. I walked for a bit, then tried to run which hurt, so I walked again. I kept telling EFP to go on. He really refused, given my situation. Eventually I tried running again which I was able to do with pain, but less pain than before. We ran together a little more, then after mile 5 I kept insisting he go on without me which he FINALLY did, yay!

I trotted along at my pathetic pace, various body parts telling me they were unhappy. The last mile was definitely into the wind, head on. Finally the finish line was in sight! Yes! I couldn't have been happier. Crossed the line 6 minutes slower than last year but hey, I finished. I got my medal which is part 2 of a puzzle piece series.

What would you do differently?:

Train enough and not gain a bunch of weight.
Post race
Warm down:

Found EFP, congratulated him on his first 10K, then found LT and PB. Hung out with them a little, discovered there were no finisher shirts for sale at the expo, they were sold out. Disappointing for me, but especially EFP who really wanted one seeing as this was his first 10K and first large scale race.

Got our bags from bag check and put on some warmer clothes. Eventually caught up with RH and his crew, then Cuda after she finished. Lost LT and PB for good, they didn't have phones to help reconnect.

Had some beer, grilled oysters (soooooo good!!!), steamed shrimp. Hung out and chatted, looked around the expo which was pretty big. Bought kettle cooked popcorn so fresh it was still warm in the bag, yum! Had a bloody mary. Eventually got on the bus to be delivered back to our cars.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough training. Weight gain. Mainly not enough training. Ok, we'll blame the wind a little bit, too, ha!

Event comments:

The race organization does a lot of things right, which they have to in order for such a large event to be successful. The shuttles, start area, and security are all on point, as are the plentiful porta-johns at the start area. My only complaint was the very long lines at the after-race festivities. Huge lines for food and porta-johns, but then again there are over 20,000 racers and probably just as many spectators. But overall it's a great race with very good organization/communication at a very unique and beautiful location.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2015-08-20 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 10 kms |  min/km
Age Group: 985/2072
Overall: 10831/21012
Performance: Below average
Course: This 10 kilometer, 6.2 mile point-to-point course will take runners over the eastbound span of the 4.35 mile long Chesapeake Bay Bridge, which reaches 186 feet at its tallest point. Runners will experience water vistas dotted with sailboats and cargo ships from atop a major dual-span bridge that doesn’t allow pedestrian traffic at any other time of the year. This event happens once a year and is the only way to cross this majestic span on foot. After departing the start line near Northrop Grumman bayside campus, participants travel about a half mile over MDTA property before they leave the western shore and begin ascending the eastbound span of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. There is a gradual but sustained climb for approximately 1.7 miles until you reach the midpoint of the bridge and the first water station. During those first two miles, runners will climb to nearly 200 feet above sea level. The climb isn’t overly steep and has a maximum grade of only 3%. You will be almost 200 feet above the bay – so don't forget to check out the view! Fortunately, what goes up must come down. After passing through the water station, runners descend the same 200 feet over the course of 2 miles before reaching the eastern shore and our legendary finisher’s celebration.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-11-18 10:08 AM

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: Across the Bay 10K

2015-11-23 9:32 AM
in reply to: #5152672

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Across the Bay 10K

Sorry you were hurty. But you tuffed it out and finished, yay! Congrats to the hubs for his first 10k. I wonder if you could get a shirt from their web site...

Sounds like such a beautiful venue. I so enjoy running next to the water when I visit places that actually HAVE WATER

2015-11-23 12:47 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Good job pushing through.

How's the hip/pelvis? did it just go away? so odd! Well, at least it took the attention away from your head!

Get checked if it still hurts!
2015-11-25 3:39 PM
in reply to: #5152672

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Good job Melanie. I know you had some pacing/training concerns and then thunking your head sure didn't make it any easier.  But you toughed through it. Congrats to you and to your husband.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Across the Bay 10K Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Across the Bay 10K

Started by kentwest
Views: 953 Posts: 2

2015-11-18 10:23 AM melbo55

Across the Bay 10K

Started by melbo55
Views: 1772 Posts: 8

2014-11-23 2:00 PM amd723

Emerald Across the Bay 12k

Started by LJR
Views: 1375 Posts: 1

2008-03-20 3:27 PM LJR

Emerald Nuts Across the Bay 12K

Started by kanoelani
Views: 1144 Posts: 3

2006-03-20 3:38 PM ellismichael

Book across the bay

Started by Buzzyman
Views: 978 Posts: 1

2005-03-08 4:21 PM Buzzyman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 4, 2010
author : sarahhaselup
comments : 14
A 34 year old new runner gives a shot at her first triathlon in the chilly waters of the San Francisco Bay.

date : January 24, 2005
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Shanna Armstrong’s Journal Entry January 21, 2005 - The Race Across America