General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike size question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-11-23 1:37 PM

User image

New user
Subject: Bike size question
Looking for some opinions . . . .

Have an opportunity to buy a very solid bike at a great price for my wife to use to train for her first next year.

It's definitley too small. It is a 48cm and she is 5-6/7ish and should probably be on a 54.

The price for the bike is that good though. What do you think? Is it even possible to adjust a 48 to be comfortable for someone 5-7? What I'm thinking here is that we may not be able to raise up the bars if we need to. Is it completely impractical or unsafe?

She is a complete beginner. This would be short term, for the year maybe to see if she likes it before investing in a new bike that fits properly.

Thanks.

2015-11-23 1:56 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: RE: Bike size question
Bike size varies too much from manufacterer to manufacterer to know honestly. I don't think that a 54 would be an appropriate size for a person 5-7 though. I ride a 54 and I'm 6' tall.

Look up the manufacterer's sizing chart to get an idea of the size range that would fit your wife. I honestly think a 48 would be closer than a 54. Regardless of the deal, I'd stear clear if it's too far out of her range.

Edited by 3mar 2015-11-23 1:57 PM
2015-11-23 2:02 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Pro

Originally posted by 3mar Bike size varies too much from manufacterer to manufacterer to know honestly. I don't think that a 54 would be an appropriate size for a person 5-7 though. I ride a 54 and I'm 6' tall. Look up the manufacterer's sizing chart to get an idea of the size range that would fit your wife. I honestly think a 48 would be closer than a 54. Regardless of the deal, I'd stear clear if it's too far out of her range.

I don't know.......my daughter at 5'7" rode a 54 and she was outgrowing it daily......she went to 5'10" and there was no way in hell that she could ride a 54.  BUT, and here's the rub....she was 5'7" with a 34 inch inseam....all legs, and lots of women have longer legs proportionate to the rest of their body.  I wouldn't think of buying that 48 for her unless you can take it to a fitter and find out if you can even get close.

2015-11-23 5:49 PM
in reply to: #5153366

User image

New user
Thanks appreciate the input.

My guess about the bike size is based on a mfg's chart I found online. It's an older model and I don't know if there's been variation since then, but it'll do for now.

I have been in touch with a fitter I know, but haven't heard back yet and may not this week with the holiday. I'm anxious so I thought I'd tap into the collective wisdom and experiences here while I wait.

2015-11-23 6:22 PM
in reply to: braciole

User image

New user
Here is the image that came to mind, and what I'm trying to avoid

Haha

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (98KB - 7 downloads)
2015-11-23 7:40 PM
in reply to: #5153419

please dont do that to her. my first non $200 or less bike was too small for me. I really loved biking when I was riding my $110 from Fleet Farm. I bought a $1500 bike and even though I liked that it was lightweight to make me feel strong lifting it, I hated biking no matter how much I tried to like it. I ended up going back to the Fleet Farm bike and went back to enjoying riding. if you want her to actually like the sport much less embrace it do not buy her a bike that is that much too small.

2015-11-23 7:47 PM
in reply to: #5153434

btw - I am 5'8" and I very comfortably ride a 56. did i say very? I am female so my height is all legs which i means I need a size that fits my legs, then I switch out the standard stem for a shorter stem. if you get something where she cant put the seat post up high enough, there is no fixing that.
2015-11-23 9:51 PM
in reply to: Dutchcrush

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
a cheap ill fitting bike is the most expensive bike you can buy as it wont be long before you are buying another one that fits correctly
2015-11-24 10:00 AM
in reply to: Dutchcrush

User image

New user
Originally posted by Dutchcrush

please dont do that to her. my first non $200 or less bike was too small for me. I really loved biking when I was riding my $110 from Fleet Farm. I bought a $1500 bike and even though I liked that it was lightweight to make me feel strong lifting it, I hated biking no matter how much I tried to like it. I ended up going back to the Fleet Farm bike and went back to enjoying riding. if you want her to actually like the sport much less embrace it do not buy her a bike that is that much too small.

Excellent. This is exactly the type of feedback I was looking for. Thank you.
2015-11-24 10:12 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by braciole

Looking for some opinions . . . .

Have an opportunity to buy a very solid bike at a great price for my wife to use to train for her first next year.

It's definitley too small. It is a 48cm and she is 5-6/7ish and should probably be on a 54.

The price for the bike is that good though. What do you think? Is it even possible to adjust a 48 to be comfortable for someone 5-7? What I'm thinking here is that we may not be able to raise up the bars if we need to. Is it completely impractical or unsafe?

She is a complete beginner. This would be short term, for the year maybe to see if she likes it before investing in a new bike that fits properly.

Thanks.

I am between 5-7 and 5-8, and ride a 54cm bike. Both Road and tri bike.

When fitted for a tri bike I was on the edge of 52 and 54, We started with the 52 and after 15 minutes quickly realized that would be too small and moved to a 54.

If someone put me on a 48 to start riding I would have quite the sport!

Imagine someone gives you a great deal on a pair of shoes that are 2 sizes smaller than your foot, would you buy them?
2015-11-24 12:09 PM

User image

New user
Originally posted by Dutchcrush

Also, how small was the bike that you didn't like compared to the one the fit? And how tall are you if you didn't mention that above (I'll go back and check but can't do that while I'm typing this reply). Those are really the important questions

Edited by braciole 2015-11-24 12:10 PM

2015-11-24 12:15 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by braciole
Originally posted by Dutchcrush please dont do that to her. my first non $200 or less bike was too small for me. I really loved biking when I was riding my $110 from Fleet Farm. I bought a $1500 bike and even though I liked that it was lightweight to make me feel strong lifting it, I hated biking no matter how much I tried to like it. I ended up going back to the Fleet Farm bike and went back to enjoying riding. if you want her to actually like the sport much less embrace it do not buy her a bike that is that much too small.
Also, how small was the bike that you didn't like compared to the one the fit? And how tall are you if you didn't mention that above (I'll go back and check but can't do that while I'm typing this reply). Those are really the important questions

You're still missing the point about height in men vs. women....tall women have legs as long as men 3 or 4 inches taller.  If I had the inseam my daughter have I'd be 6'8. LOL

I'm 6'2 and have a 34 inch inseam.  My daughters are 5'10 with 36 inseam.  My son is 6'4 and rides a 61 cm bike......neither of my daughters have a problem riding his bike except for the reach.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-11-24 12:16 PM
2015-11-24 10:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
No, no, no. I'm a little taller than her and I usually wind up on a 54ish. If it were a 51 I'd say maybe it could work, but a 48 is a small bike, I'd say for people like 5'2". Also, as other posters have said, if a man and woman are of similar heights, the woman might be comfortable on a bigger bike.
I will put in a plug for a WSD bike. I got a Trek Lexa off ebay, and I love it- having slightly smaller and narrower handlebars has made a huge difference for me. (I know, you can swap them out, but it's nice to have comfortable ones off the bat.)
2015-11-24 11:16 PM
in reply to: chayes

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I'm about 5'9" and fit very well on a 54.  I bought a smaller frame CX bike last year because it was too good to pass up.  It was a pro tour riders bike and he had it built for him with Di2 and tons of upgrades.  Problem was that he was about 5'4" and it was perfect for him, for me not so much.  I have not ridden it nearly as much as I would have liked because I am not totally comfortable on it.  Size matters.

I doubt that bike will work for your wife.  The only way to know for sure is to have a fitter evaluate it for her.  My wife is very long legged but very short arms so she has been a little difficult to fit properly.  If you want her to continue beyond the beginner phase and have years of enjoyment do it right and make sure she is comfortable and safe.

2015-11-25 5:37 AM
in reply to: chayes

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Pretty sure 48 is way too small. I'm somewhere between 5'7" and 5'8" and have two road bikes. The 52 is a bit too small (didn't know that at the time); the 54 is close to "just right". My tri bike is a 51, but it's a professional fit, very comfortable, and I'm noticeably faster on it than the road bike, so I trust that it's a matter of road vs. tri and different fit profiles with different brands (Trek vs. Cervelo in this case). Just can't visualize a 48 working out for someone close to my size. Trying to make the best of a suboptimal fit (which I had to do with the road bike here) really isn't worth the $ you might save. Basically, no matter what we do with that bike, although it can be adjusted to make the height okay, my arms and torso are too long for the top tube and I'm too scrunched up. Comfortable enough, at least out of aero, but it compromises power and aero would really hurt past the Oly distance.
2015-11-26 5:01 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

New user
Originally posted by Left BrainYou're still missing the point about height in men vs. women....tall women have legs as long as men 3 or 4 inches taller.  If I had the inseam my daughter have I'd be 6'8. LOL

I'm 6'2 and have a 34 inch inseam.  My daughters are 5'10 with 36 inseam.  My son is 6'4 and rides a 61 cm bike......neither of my daughters have a problem riding his bike except for the reach.

Not missing the point. Your comment was well taken and I we'll be checking inseam too.

I'm passing on the small bike and going with a new properly sized bike. My friend who is a fitter also owns a shop, and he has a great option for her. Thanks for the feedback everyone. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

2015-11-26 5:07 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

New user
Imagine someone gives you a great deal on a pair of shoes that are 2 sizes smaller than your foot, would you buy them?

If they were really nice shoes and almost free and I never wore shoes before and did'nt know if I wanted to keep wearing shoes I might try them out for a week!
2015-11-26 10:43 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
A couple of things... there's no such thing as a standard as to what the size denomination means... a 48cm from one brand may very well be similar in size to a 51cm from another.... Also, how it's measured may vary greatly... center-to-center, center-to-top, center-to-virtual point, virtual to virtual, etc., etc. etc. In other words, there's simply no way of knowing if this bike is WAY off or actually pretty decent.

The second thing... don't buy a bike that doesn't fit. She's only going to end up uncomfortable, inefficient and probably ending up hating riding.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike size question Rss Feed