General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 1st Ironman clothing question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-11-26 2:57 PM

Subject: 1st Ironman clothing question
I did my first 70.3 last year and wore a 1 piece TYR tri suit. I've signed up for Ironman Texas in 2016 and am wondering about what to wear for this race. I don't want another one piece suit.
Do you change shorts after the bike or just run in your tri-shorts? What clothes have worked for you? Thanks

2015-11-27 6:29 PM
in reply to: #5153878

User image

Subject: RE: 1st Ironman clothing question
Some people swear by one piece tri suits, but for 140.6, I go with a 2 piece 2XU set. I don't change, just wear the same thing for the entire race. Bathroom breaks are much easier in a 2 piece. I still haven't mastered peeing on the bike.
2015-11-27 8:59 PM
in reply to: ARtridad74

Scottsdale, AZ
I did almost a full clothing change both transitions during IMAZ this year - BUT - it was FREEZING, and was raining. Changed into a dry tri top for the bike but kept the shorts I swam in, but changed completely for the run since I wanted something dry.

I had a dry pair of tri shorts to change into anyway for the run, even if it wasn't raining. Just wanted something clean after being in the other shorts for 6+ hours.

IMTX is typically warm (from what I remember), so depends on your comfort. I'd definitely look into a 2 piece for bathroom breaks, but know plenty of people who wear the 1 pieces and love them.

BUT - remember any clothing changes will add to your transition time.
2015-11-28 7:44 AM
in reply to: #5153971

The bathroom breaks is exactly why I'm interested in the two piece. During my 70.3 last year it was a pain having to deal with that in T2
2015-11-28 5:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
So far I've done the 2 piece every time, and I even run most of my running races in my tri shorts, so it's not a big deal

Might get a 1 piece next year.
2015-11-29 9:00 AM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
I've always used the two piece kit. Much more convenient that way. While many people prefer to change, I kind of see it as one more "complication" that can arise on that day (Do you really need one more thing to think about?). I wore the same thing for the entire race and it was fine. If you're going to be purchasing anyway, a high quality tri kit should work just fine. Whatever you decide, just remember to train in it a few times as well and make sure it meets your needs.

2015-11-30 7:35 AM

User image

Exton, PA
I just wear a 1 piece tri suit the entire event. If it's a sunny day I put a tech shirt on in T2 to help keep the sun off my shoulders.

Yes I give up 30 seconds to a minute for a bathroom break, small price to pay for comfort the other 12 hours.
2015-11-30 8:59 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

I've done 3 140.6 races and each time, I've changed completely in T1 & T2.   On a 12-hour day, a few minutes isn't going to have a big difference in my overall result, but it may on my comfort.  

Reasons for changing:  Even if it's "hot" the start of the bike is usually early enough that riding while wet is C-O-L-D.  For my first (IMCdA) the high temp for the day was 62F.  Without a doubt not worth riding when wet (it rained later in the day).  For my other 2, the weather was pretty good but still, I don't like riding while shivering.  Secondly, changing out of sweaty bike clothes into fresh run clothes feels good.  You may find that the tri-shorts that worked well for a 15-20 mile run chafe badly from caked on salt after a 112 mile ride.  Maybe not...

Reasons for not changing:  You're at the pointy end of the performance curve where a few minutes may make a difference.  

2015-11-30 9:34 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
I always did a two peice tri kit up until my most recent HIM where I wore a 1 peice. I much prefered it for racing however I'd still wear a two peice for a full IM just for the bathroom breaks. I've done two HIMs and never stopped to use the bathroom. It's a short enough race that I can hold it. A full however, a bathroom break is happening (or at least should if you're properly hydrated).

I personally wouldn't change in an IM. We work too hard for every second/minute of time, so why blow minutes on a wardrobe change? Unless your only goal is to finish, and you're not concerned with time, then go ahead and change to be comfortable.
2015-11-30 10:20 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

I've done all of the options over 11 IMs and 6 HIMs.

My first IM, I swam in wetsuit / swimsuit, put on bike shorts / tri top in T1.  I needed real bike shorts because I was riding a road bike with a road saddle and no tri shorts were padded enough to ride 112. Then at T2 I swapped the bike shorts for compression shorts. My transitions were slow, but I was comfortable.

On my tri bike with a saddle comfortable enough for tri short level padding, I've worn a onesie several times. Much faster transitions, but slow in the porta-potties. And I worry about sunburned shoulders from the tank tops. I still have sunburn "tattoos" from a severe sunburn at IMAZ 2006.

Thus in recent IMs I've been wearing tri shorts under the westuit, and in T1 put on a tight fitting bike jersey. I have maximum arm movement under the wetsuit; no binding or chaffing from the jersey.  And my shoulders are covered.  T2 is just a helmet-to-hat, bike-shoes-to-running shoes swap.

For an HIM I still wear the onesies.

Edited by brucemorgan 2015-11-30 10:22 AM
2015-11-30 11:27 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina
Originally posted by mike761

I just wear a 1 piece tri suit the entire event. If it's a sunny day I put a tech shirt on in T2 to help keep the sun off my shoulders.

Yes I give up 30 seconds to a minute for a bathroom break, small price to pay for comfort the other 12 hours.

X2

No issue with 1 piece tri suit in the Ironman races for me.

2015-11-30 4:12 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

It wouldn't let me edit my earlier post.  

Race-day weather may be dramatically different than what you're planning for today.  In my cases, 10-25F COOLER than typical with only one race at or above "typical" temps.  

Under what conditions would you change clothes completely?

Under what conditions would you wear a one-piece tri-suit?

Under what conditions would you wear a two-piece tri-suit?  

2015-12-01 11:45 AM

User image

Expert
for my first I didn't care about my time. I wanted to be comfortable and it was very cold (near freezing) race morning. I wore a swim suit and wetsuit for the swim, bike shorts, bike shirt, arm warmers, full fingered gloves and booties for the ride (I think I took off the arm warmers at special needs and might have changed gloves) and then changed to compression shorts and a tri jersey for the run.

For the second I wanted a PR (on a harder course) so I wore the same thing throughout. good quality tri shorts and a tri jersey.
2015-12-06 9:08 PM
in reply to: Daffodil

User image

Originally posted by Daffodil

for my first I didn't care about my time. I wanted to be comfortable and it was very cold (near freezing) race morning. I wore a swim suit and wetsuit for the swim, bike shorts, bike shirt, arm warmers, full fingered gloves and booties for the ride (I think I took off the arm warmers at special needs and might have changed gloves) and then changed to compression shorts and a tri jersey for the run.

For the second I wanted a PR (on a harder course) so I wore the same thing throughout. good quality tri shorts and a tri jersey.

Almost same considerations as Daffodil but for completely opposite reasons. My first IM was in very hot and humid conditions, so did the swim in swim trunks, then changed into bike shorts and long sleeved cooling top for the ride, then changed socks and shorts for the run. My concerns were mainly chafing, thinking it could get very uncomfortable spending 15h in wet pants, but I guess if you race in conditions were you dry up that's not an issue. Also I rode in bike shorts not tri shorts, for the added padding
My wife did the whole race in her tri shorts and had the worst chafing I have ever seen after the race. It was huge and following the seam of the chamois, haven't even seen photos that get anywhere near as bad as she got it. But as mentioned, this might be more of a problem in warm and humid conditions (35 degrees Celsius).
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 1st Ironman clothing question Rss Feed