General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for others like me...weight loss support! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2006-09-04 10:06 PM
in reply to: #528226

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Looking for others like me...weight loss support!

I try to eat much more than I normal did for breakfast and sort of front load with food. Now my dinners are the calorie of my previous breakfasts. When I have a long workout, I probably eat 400-500 calories 45-60 minutes before my workout. I helps me keep from being starving and making bad choices after workout. Plus I try to take in around 200 calories per hour while doing 1.5+ hour workouts...a little bit more when I do 3-5 hour workouts. I normally eat 300-400 calories for breakfast...and I have found it really helps me from being hungry throughout the whole day.

I did a long ride once that I ate breakfast at home, drove 90 minutes to meet friends, road almost 5 hours, and was starved afterwards. I ate everything I could on the drive home. I learned the hard way that I need to eat enough before and during workout otherwise I eat more after than I should have during workout.

I try never to cheat....so I have an always no attitude. I never have french fries or fried food makes me feel sick. On occasion I'll have a bite or two of someone in my families tempting thing but only after I think it about it a lot. About every 2-3 months if I want something a lot, I'll think about it for maybe a week or two and if I decide I really want it, I will but try to have it as healthy as possible. Pizza fits into this category.

I also enlist all my family to help me. I give them guidelines of what I can and do not choose to eat. If I want something off what I normally eat, I have them encourage me not to. My middle daughter is the best at it. We sometimes play a game where I'll ask of can I have a french fry and my other two daughter say oh here you go....Shasha yells no Mom...Devil Hill...you want to get up that hill! I wasn't going to eat the fry just training my daughter to help me.

I was fat and overweight a long time, I now see what I eat as what I eat not a diet just a better/healthier way for me to eat. I struggle going out to eat...we went out today. Everyone else ordered hamburger or BLT or some type of sandwhich with fries. This was a diner type place..what to order? I choose a crab/blackbean/spinach wrap. I asked what the side was tortilla chips which I switched to a salad. I pulled off most of the wrap. Now if I looked at the menu there were about 50 things I'd rather have eaten but I don't eat that stuff anymore...so I tried to find the best thing I could given that I try not to eat processed food including flour or sugar.

Edited by KathyG 2006-09-04 10:09 PM

2006-09-04 10:06 PM

User image

Champion
MA

oops dreaded double post

Tomorrow I'll start a new thread....we can introduce ourselves

Unless we get another option...let's go with tri-umphant Losers!

Edited by KathyG 2006-09-04 10:07 PM
2006-09-05 7:52 AM

User image

Expert
Twin Cities
My biggest challenge to losing weight is also the "I deserve it" attitude. I know that I need to shift this attitude to, "I fuel my body for optimum health and performance", and some days are better than others.
2006-09-05 9:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Munich, Germany
oh yeah the i deserve it... i know that one way too well... not really i deserve it for me - more like "oh i've worked out - i can eat that and it won't hurt me too much".. but then comes saturday - my scale day here in spain cuz i don't have my scale with me of course - and i dearly regret all the good food i've had...

today was one of those days... we went out for paella with the students and i was glad we've had salad for starters... so i ate a lot of that so i couldn't eat much paella afterwards... and i had coffee instead of a dessert... i ate lots of seafood and took it easy on the rice... so i'm kinda proud of myself... watching all the others eat the chocolate cake i had recommended (cuz it's sooooooooooo gooooooooood)... and of course everybody offered me a piece of theirs... surprisingly it wasn't too hard to say "thanks but no "

oh damn that late already? i gotta go back to work

laters!!
~Kathie
2006-09-05 11:03 AM

User image

Master
Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
The "I deserve it" thing really is a killer, isn't it. I try to avoid that at all costs, usually by remembering in detail all of the effort I've just put into the exercise.

By the way, are there any other vegetarians on this thread?
2006-09-05 5:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
I'd love to join or have some friends on BT that can help! I am in such a rut right now. I need more than a friend, more like someone who can either whack me on the head! or...chain my fridge. I was down to 163 for my first tri, now I'm up 10 lbs...it took me a whole year to lose a stinking 10 pounds, now I'm right back up there . I'm 5'5", muscular build, but trust me, I'm the fat girl, inside and out...and I want to look hot and fit. I've started running more, but it's so demeaning when you feel your whole rear shake behind you during a run I think 145 is a real good weight for me. I'm actually considering Slimfast.

2006-09-05 7:06 PM

User image

Master
When are we having weigh-ins and stuff?
2006-09-05 7:22 PM
in reply to: #530608

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio
Thanks for sharing your nutrition, Kathy.  Hopefully some day, I'll feel the dedication to myself that you feel towards yourself.  It is awesome that you got to the mindplace to eat so clean! I try to get the bulk of my calories from whole foods,  but if I get to strict, I find myself binging.  I try to add in healthier versions of not-so-healthy foods to help me through the tough times, but sometimes it just doesn't work.  I think the most important thing I've learned is when I do go off on a binge, not to beat myself up over it, but just move on and get back on track. 

I love that your family and kids help you so much.  That has got to make a HUGE difference.  I'm going on vacation in November to my in-laws house in Costa Rica, and I'll have to find a way to incorporate guidelines into my visit.  It may make things go much smoother.  I hate that I'm worrying so much about this trip because I won't be in control of fixing the meals.  I need to figure out a nutritional strategy before I go.  I'm going to work hard to incorporate the "always no" attitude.  I love that!

Edited by tnickerson 2006-09-05 7:24 PM
2006-09-06 11:15 AM
in reply to: #531602

User image

Master
Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
tnickerson - 2006-09-05 8:22 PM
I hate that I'm worrying so much about this trip because I won't be in control of fixing the meals.  I need to figure out a nutritional strategy before I go. 

Yeah, I'm with you. I'm a bit of a freak about that sort of thing now. I want total control over my meals!
2006-09-06 12:17 PM
in reply to: #532257

User image

Expert
Twin Cities
I can relate, as well. I am going on a business trip next week... meals are typically hit-or-miss, and at rather odd hours of the day... Hotel gym is typically open when I need to be working. I will need to pack some healthy snacks to hold me over until meal-time and then make sure that I make healthy choices.

Ove the past year it has seemed as if I have lost/gained the same five pounds... I do well for the 3-4 weeks that I am in town, and then I travel for 1-3 weeks and lose discipline and the weight comes back on. I am so tired of this cycle... keep your fingers crossed for me next week!

- Sharon
2006-09-06 2:00 PM

User image

Woodstock
Can I join in this group? I am a single mom & when I was pregnant I gained 80 pounds. I was great after the first year, I lost 45 pounds & 21.5 inches. Then I got depressed & gained it all back.

I have completed my first triathlon back in August. It was exciting. I haven't lost any weight but I've lost a few inches. I can tell in my legs.

I eat a lot of veggies, fruits, and chicken. If possible i would like to join this weight loss support. I'm trying hard to get back to a size 6 again.

Thanks...
Tonya

2006-09-06 3:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montana

I was just reading through this thread and I would like to be part of it too...however, I am just curious how it will be different from the Fall Challenge?

I was part of the Memorial Day to Labor Day Challenge and this week was the end...and only 8 posters from the original 40 or so remained to the end. I am pretty new to BT and maybe this is typical...

the fall challenge that Autumn started seems like a great one too...I guess I am just wondering how they would be different...and if I needed to/or could be on both?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for others like me...weight loss support! Rss Feed  

of 3