General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 California Oceanside : Official Thread 2016 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2016-03-22 5:47 PM
in reply to: weiky

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 California Oceanside : Official Thread 2016

Try Nytro in San Diego

2016-03-22 6:39 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Chris, thanks for the recon. And happy to see from your FB post that we have In N Out available post race.
2016-03-23 10:48 AM

thanks Chris but I already called them and they said they do not rent...I think she will have to probably ride her normal wheels.
2016-03-23 5:48 PM
in reply to: weiky

User image

So, I didn't do this last year which was I think the first year with DQ's for exceeding 25 mph on the downhill section of the backside, but looks like from posts on that other board that there is an actual bike split for that section, with speed, and that they are serious as they DQd a lot of racers (40 or so), and you don't find out until after the race.  So make sure you slow down going down that hill.  I never use speed as a metric on my bike computer, guess I'll have to set up a screen for that 

2016-03-24 1:58 PM

yes they did heavily enforce this last year and I think one of the pros got DQ'ed for going too fast. I keept it to about 23 - 24 mph just to make sure I wasn't too fat but others were under 20 in that section.
2016-03-25 1:21 PM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by ChrisM

So, I didn't do this last year which was I think the first year with DQ's for exceeding 25 mph on the downhill section of the backside, but looks like from posts on that other board that there is an actual bike split for that section, with speed, and that they are serious as they DQd a lot of racers (40 or so), and you don't find out until after the race.  So make sure you slow down going down that hill.  I never use speed as a metric on my bike computer, guess I'll have to set up a screen for that 

I better do the same thing about the speed setting. But then I don't think I'll be going that fast anyway.

I went swimming and did some hard intervals and my foot did not hurt! Yay! Gonna do a long bike ride test tomorrow (2 hours max?) and maybe a super easy run/walk test Sunday. I find my foot only hurts if I take long strides while walking. I'm also going to ask what my podiatrist thinks about me racing. I wanna be on the race course with you guys!

2016-03-25 1:25 PM
in reply to: kloofyroland

User image

Roland, glad to hear you are recovering. see you guys in a week. it's early but weather looking good.
2016-03-27 10:25 AM
in reply to: StevenC

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by StevenC

Roland, glad to hear you are recovering. see you guys in a week. it's early but weather looking good.

Thanks! I just checked as well and a high of 68°F is predicted.

Going for some OWS practice at Long Beach soon! :D
2016-03-28 1:52 PM

User image

How was the swim?  I did my first OWS yesterday, first in a new wetsuit and first ocean swim since my crash.  Not as fast as i would like to be but it was nice being in the salt water!

2016-03-28 6:12 PM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA

How was the swim?  I did my first OWS yesterday, first in a new wetsuit and first ocean swim since my crash.  Not as fast as i would like to be but it was nice being in the salt water!

Pretty good! Got in about 40 minutes worth of continuous swimming out there. I was a bit wobbly getting out of the water though, hehehe. Podiatrist said I can race too! But have to be wise about my pacing. I might be the last one crossing the finish line.

Question about the swim: Is the diagonal strategy still okay to use as you pass the turnaround Chris?
2016-03-28 6:54 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by kloofyroland

Pretty good! Got in about 40 minutes worth of continuous swimming out there. I was a bit wobbly getting out of the water though, hehehe. Podiatrist said I can race too! But have to be wise about my pacing. I might be the last one crossing the finish line. Question about the swim: Is the diagonal strategy still okay to use as you pass the turnaround Chris?

Far as I know, swim is about the only thing that never changes.   There will be a line of guards on board on the  right hand side, just go as close to them as they'll let you get.  I usually site off them (and hope they aren't paddling away     I usually get shoo'd to the left a couple times every time I race it

Good news on getting to race!  I'll be wearing red polka dots this year, can't miss me.

My wave start is 7:08, wave 10 so nearly in the middle.  Goal is to hold StevenC off until 2d lap of the run as I think he starts behind me   

Edited by ChrisM 2016-03-28 6:56 PM

2016-03-29 2:47 PM

User image

Pretty good! Got in about 40 minutes worth of continuous swimming out there. I was a bit wobbly getting out of the water though, hehehe. Podiatrist said I can race too! But have to be wise about my pacing. I might be the last one crossing the finish line. Question about the swim: Is the diagonal strategy still okay to use as you pass the turnaround Chris?

Far as I know, swim is about the only thing that never changes.   There will be a line of guards on board on the  right hand side, just go as close to them as they'll let you get.  I usually site off them (and hope they aren't paddling away  )   I usually get shoo'd to the left a couple times every time I race it

Good news on getting to race!  I'll be wearing red polka dots this year, can't miss me.

My wave start is 7:08, wave 10 so nearly in the middle.  Goal is to hold StevenC off until 2d lap of the run as I think he starts behind me   

Roland, glad you are racing. Will look for you at T1. After reading your IMAZ RR, I have no doubt that you will gut it out. Just be safe.

Chris, I will do my best to catch you at some point but it might be at the bar for a beer. In wave 19 at 7:32 and even with your injuries, you will still put time into me on swim and bike. Thinking In N Out by 2pm is a good call. Double Double and a chocolate shake. You still have The Killers at night, right?
2016-03-30 1:26 PM

User image

Yes, my post race plans are In N Out (if open), nap and then the Killers (and maybe some blackjack...)   

2016-04-01 11:41 AM

Orange County, California
I picked up my packet yesterday and didn't look at it until I got home. Noticed there aren't any bike or run transition bags. Is this right or did those bags get left out of my packet? I put in a call to IM but no answer and just shot off an email.
2016-04-01 11:02 PM
in reply to: markowma

User image

White morning clothes bag only
2016-04-05 12:48 PM

User image

Roland, how did your race go? I tried to find you in transition but it was a bit crazy in the morning. Didn't realize just how bit this race is.

2016-04-06 11:56 AM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA

Roland, how did your race go? I tried to find you in transition but it was a bit crazy in the morning. Didn't realize just how bit this race is.

Hi Steven,

I finished! It was pretty gruesome for me man. Wobbly after the swim, started to feel the pain everywhere (especially my butt) at almost mile 40 on the bike segment, and the half marathon was a survival mental game. I was pretty chatty with all the nearby triathletes in my transition area before and during the race transitions so maybe you noticed a brown skinned chatty dude around there? My race # was 3256. What was yours? How'd your race go?

Roland
2016-04-07 1:03 PM

User image

Hi Steven,

I finished! It was pretty gruesome for me man. Wobbly after the swim, started to feel the pain everywhere (especially my butt) at almost mile 40 on the bike segment, and the half marathon was a survival mental game. I was pretty chatty with all the nearby triathletes in my transition area before and during the race transitions so maybe you noticed a brown skinned chatty dude around there? My race # was 3256. What was yours? How'd your race go?

Roland

Cool. Yes, checked out your race report. Awesome job as always pushing thru tough conditions. You have a ton of mental strength.

I had good race. Was hoping for right about 5 hours or hopefully just under. finished 5:05:xx but very happy. Swim and bike a bit slower than I hoped. Ton of traffic going off in wave 19. Run was on target but those rollers were a bit more than I anticipated. Really hurt but able to hold pacing ok.

What's next for you? Rest and get healthy I hope.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 California Oceanside : Official Thread 2016 Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 California Oceanside : Official Thread

Started by ironjim140.6
Views: 2238 Posts: 11

2015-02-25 1:38 PM weiky

Ironman 70.3 California Oceanside : Official Thread

Started by Ranger1188
Views: 3163 Posts: 10

2014-02-19 11:52 AM croyston

Ironman 70.3 California Oceanside - Official Thread

Started by rkreuser
Views: 2117 Posts: 9

2014-03-05 4:35 PM Sublxed

Ford Ironman 70.3 California : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by davide
Views: 28393 Posts: 216

2010-10-21 10:26 PM lmscozz

Ford Ironman 70.3 California: Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10

Started by kwfire
Views: 30606 Posts: 235

2009-05-07 8:59 AM Project_A
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.