General Discussion Race Reports! » USAT GRAND PRIX MIDEAST CHAMPIONSHIPS Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

USAT GRAND PRIX MIDEAST CHAMPIONSHIPS - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Indianapolis, Indiana
United States
Mideast Regional Federation Board of Directors
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 36m 24s
Overall Rank = 161/354
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 27/50
Pre-race routine:

I got to Indy the day before and picked up a friend I haven't seen in 4 years. Slept surprisingly well considering I never sleep well before an event.
I woke up at 5:15 and got ready. Had to practically push my friend out the door; making me late to the race site. I had to park .5 mile away from the race site and my poor friend couldn't keep up with me, so I had to wait for him to get my gear. Never bring a friend to a race that isn't a morning person and has no idea how long it can take to get ready for a race. The one good thing (I thought) was he is a photographer so I would get a bunch of good pictures.
I ate my ritual banana, 2 mini whole wheat bagels with pumpkin butter, Propel, and a Gu right before the race.
It rained most of the night before and was pretty muggy that morning.
Event warmup:

Not much since I got there so late. I did get to jump in the lake and get acquainted with the water.
Swim
  • 32m 45s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 11s / 100 meters
Comments:

I am just a slow swimmer, but that is OK. I felt great throughout the swim and never got tired. I am so paranoid about being close to people when I swim I probably swam an extra third of a mile. I was way out of the pack. No one was even close to me or on my left. (We did right hand turns.) The women started 5 mins behind my group and most of them finished the swim before I did. That's OK I caught many of them on the bike. :-)
What would you do differently?:

Don't be such a chicken and save my self some time.
Transition 1
  • 02m 23s
Comments:

During my T1 when I bent over to put on my socks I felt like I was still in the water. I must have done a pretty good job of rotating. Unfortunately, I forgot to grab my 2 Gu.

Grab my Gu.
Bike
  • 1h 10m 50s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.05 mile/hr
Comments:

Pretty good bike. Mostly passed only by people with much nicer bikes. Of course there were a lot of people in front of me. I was concerned that not having my Gu would be a problem and it wasn't. I did get some stomach cramping even with the Gatorade.

Get a new bike and remember my Gu.
Transition 2
  • 02m 10s
Comments:

I stopped in the middle with my bike forgetting that it was a one way entrance. I wanted to go around the wrong way and it was blocked. They mentioned it during the pre-race meeting, but I was too busy trying to pee and get some sort of warm up in. Again, don't bring a friend that isn't a morning person.

Get there earlier.
Run
  • 48m 15s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

During the first mile (which was all up hill) I developed a cramp in my right hamstring. I was running up the hill thinking, "boy did all those brick workouts help. Wow, I wonder when this hill is going to end. Oh, s--t!!! Is my leg starting to cramp?" I had to walk for a few seconds and massage it out. It really hurt the rest of my run.

I don't know.
Post race
Warm down:

Went to the Toyota Endurance Van and did a running and biking analysis. Turns out I have a pretty efficient pedal stroke. My left leg was a little stronger, but it wasn't surprising since my right hamstring was bugging me.
I really need to work on my running form. I have let my core muscles weaken with this bloody abd strain. Because of that I am not bending my knees and picking them up in front of me. That means I am landing on my heel and losing energy with each stride. I also am a very bad over pronator with my right foot (I knew that).
So my friend that is a photographer missed me at all the transitions and on the bike/run. He got one picture of me coming out of the water. Can you believe it?

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not getting there earlier. Being a chicken during the swim. Hamstring issues.

Event comments:

Since it was the "Mideast Championship" there were a lot of fast people there. It was cool to see so many good triathletes at a middle size event.

I'll go again next year.

Last updated: 2006-05-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:45 | 1500 meters | 02m 11s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/50
Overall: 247/354
Performance: Good
Suit: Red Tri
Course: Rectangle. Man Olympic swims are long. I could hardly see the buoys from the shore.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:23
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:10:50 | 24.85 miles | 21.05 mile/hr
Overall: 121/354
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Flat with some rolling hills. It was a little hilly. I'm used to pretty flat streets.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:10
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:48:15 | 06.21 miles | 07m 46s  min/mile
Overall: 142/354
Performance: Below average
Course: Up a hill, then down a hill. Inside a very nice park. Unfortunately, it was so still in the park the air was like breathing swamp water.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-08-31 9:31 PM

User image

Regular
Central Illinois
Subject: USAT GRAND PRIX MIDEAST CHAMPIONSHIPS

2006-09-01 9:23 AM
in reply to: #528371

User image

Master
Central, IL
Subject: RE: USAT GRAND PRIX MIDEAST CHAMPIONSHIPS

Numbers look great to me!  Nice job.  Your bike was smok'n and your run was solid even with the hamstring problem. 

Sounds like a great race.  Glad you enjoyed it. 

Oh, I'm not a morning person either.  FYI   This is my pre-race warm-up photo: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/get-photo.asp?photoid=19162

2006-09-01 9:33 AM

User image

over a barrier
Nice race! You probably flew by me in the second half of the bike...Nice run split too!!
2006-09-01 11:05 AM

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

Wow!  Sub-3 Oly.  O.K....that's my new goal.  Wait a minute...I guess I need to have a goal to DO an Oly first.    Nice race.  You smoked the bike leg.

Have a great 'off'-season...

2006-09-01 2:45 PM

User image

Regular
Little Rock, AR

Impressive race doc!!!  Check out those rankings in the bike! Apparently all of that time on those rural roads have really helped.  I like how you mention your lack of hill training ... you might as well be in Kansas when you're training in Central Illinois and the only hills are the slag piles at the coal mines   Glad to hear that you were confident in the swim - that' s HUGE accomplishment to do an oly distance open water swim, especially for someone who admitted to hating the open water earlier this year.

Can't wait to see what your goals are for next season! HIM anyone?? 

2006-09-01 7:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Joplin, MO

GREAT job!  That was a solid performance.  Must have been fun...passing all those fast swimmer geeks on the bike and run.

2006-09-02 7:47 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
That was a solid race however you slice it.  Good job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » USAT GRAND PRIX MIDEAST CHAMPIONSHIPS Rss Feed