General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Smart Trainer vs Power Meter Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-12-17 9:50 AM

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
Subject: Smart Trainer vs Power Meter
I have a tri bike and a road bike, no power meter on either. I ride outside year round, longer rides (2 to 4 hours) most Saturdays & Sundays with cycling race team.......typical group rides on the roadie, with lots of fast paced efforts plus some surges and accelerations. Goal is almost always to hang on and take the occasional pull.

In the winter, it's too dark for me to ride outside after work. I've been trying to hop on my KK trainer in the garage a few times a week, with most efforts being 30 to 60 minutes of intervals.....with effort gauged by RPE. Trainer set-up is a mix of tri bike and roadie. My trainer intervals leave me feeling like I've had a good, hard effort, but they're totally time and RPE based.....I decide to do intverals of a certain time, but RPE is a total guess.

I've been debating buying a PM or a smart trainer. I figure, if I buy new, prices will be in the same ball park.

I like the idea of having the power meter for pacing tris and TT's, and for getting a lot more rigor around trainer intervals. If I go the PM route, I'd probably get Power2Max or Pioneer for the tri bike. I'm not sure how practical the other options that let you swap between bikes are for me....My tri bike has very tight rear wheel clearances, and a very limited number of wheels work for me without frame rub. Also, I've got different crank lengths on both bikes, and I really like my speedplay pedals. The disadvantage of the PM is it'll limit structured intervals to just the tri bike and my current trainer has some issues and may need to be replaced in the next year or two anyway.

Other option I've been thinking about is a KICKR. The advantage of the KICKR is being able to use it with both bikes and it'd take care of my existing trainer issues. The disadvantage is no power for race pacing.

Seems like I still have a lot of potential gains from a structured, high intensity interval program, and either option should provide this help.

Any thoughts or comments?

2015-12-17 10:24 AM
in reply to: g_shotts

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: Smart Trainer vs Power Meter

Personally I would get a PM and use the KK with it.  That's my current setup and I've never felt the urge or need to go to a smart trainer.  That said, I've never used one so maybe I just don't get it.

Do you *need* the different crank lengths and if not, are the BBs compatible on the two bikes so you could switch it back and forth? (also what I do)

2015-12-17 10:38 AM

User image

I was having exactly the same dilemma as you a month ago.  I went for the kickr on the basis that I want to really work on my cycling over the winter.  I’m also trying to get back to basics when cycling outside and focussing on the environment more than the stats.  I can set up a HR alarm on my watch to ensure I’m cycling broadly in the correct HR zone when out but can largely disengage with technology and cycle.  But when I’m on the turbo I can focus much more on working on my FTP, doing intervals at specific power levels etc etc.

As you say the downside will be not having a power reading when I’m racing but I’m hoping that by then I will have a far better intuitive feel and an idea of my HR at the right power levels to rely on that instead (I realise this is far from fool proof but it’s something).

2015-12-17 10:38 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
hands down a PM

Location A I have a Computrainer
Location B I have a KK with power meter

I used to swap cranks, it's really easy. Now I swap pedals.

While I love my Computrainer (which I believe is superior to a Kickr, but that's another story) being able to ride outdoor with power greatly outweighs the smart trainer features.

You can do all the cool games and training programs with setup B

It's not just pacing at long course which is huge. You can go for your "hang on for dear life" rides without ever looking at the PM, but having that data is extremely valuable. Being able to do things like aero testing is huge. Even if you don't race by power, having the data is very hepful in assessing progress, weakness, training loads.....

the only people I would say get the smart trainer are those that do short course racing and also do 90%+ of their training indoor.

Edited by marcag 2015-12-17 10:40 AM
2015-12-17 10:45 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
I agree... get a Power Meter. I do love my CompuTrainer and it's an amazing tool, but the Power Meter you can use for all your rides, so even if you give up a little during your indoor winter training, you can all that back and much more by training with power outdoors.
2015-12-17 12:26 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I would go with the power meter as well.  And if you can't (or don't want to) get something compatible between the two bikes, I'd put the power meter on your tri bike and consider virtual power (like TrainerRoad) for when you ride your roadie on the trainer. 

A power meter is less useful in a road race (where tactics and strategy will trump maintaining power or staying within yourself) than a triathlon or TT.  I'm sure the files are fun to evaluate after a road race, but I think a PM is much more of a tool in a tri or TT, which is why I would opt to put it on that bike. 

ETA: every once in a while, I kinda wish I had a smart trainer that I could put in erg mode, but I've never ever in a million years wished I had a smart trainer in lieu of my power meter....never, ever, ever!!!  Just to reiterate

Edited by ligersandtions 2015-12-17 12:27 PM

2015-12-17 1:11 PM

User image

I'd go power meter.

Unless you have some huge difference in crank lengths that is very specific to your fit on each bike, it shouldn't matter much.  There are dozens of bottom bracket adapters that will allow you to swap cranks between almost any bike.

I swap cranks between my road and TT bike.  It seemed intimidating at first, but honestly I take a lot longer to get dressed for riding (bibs, HRM, jersey, socks, gloves, skull cap, chamois cream) than it does for me to swap cranks.

2015-12-17 2:05 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ligersandtions

ETA: every once in a while, I kinda wish I had a smart trainer that I could put in erg mode, but I've never ever in a million years wished I had a smart trainer in lieu of my power meter....never, ever, ever!!!  Just to reiterate

That's how I've felt about it too.

2015-12-17 2:59 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
I don't know if I agree with the statement that a power meter is not useful in road races... Yes, tactics are crucial and will decide the race, but a power meter will help you to balance your energy use during the race. If you can sit in and save a bit more, then you know how much you are saving, which also means you have an idea of how deep you can go when you have to. Same thing goes on steady climbs, you know how deep you can go. The area where I see the biggest advantage is if you get in a break. Quite often you need to put in a massive effort to get away and a power meter helps you to keep the power up but keep it steady. It'll make a difference not only for you, but also for the breakaway buddies you have with you... nothing kills a break like when someone is going super hard, then drop off to sit in... high, constant effort helps the group to get away.
2015-12-19 8:04 AM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
For the record, I own neither a Power Meter or a Smart Trainer, but given the choice I would go with a Power Meter. With a PM, not only do you get the numbers from your regular outside rides, but there are a number of options for using it indoors (e.g.- Trainer Road). Last year, I did nearly all of my off season training on a traditional fluid trainer (not smart, used the virtual power via Trainer Road) and its had a huge impact on my cycling ever since. Would be nice though to have that Power Data when I get outside in the rest of the year.
2015-12-20 4:22 PM

User image

Master
A year ago I would have easily said a powermeter. Now I am conflicted. Indoor training sux but with Zwift it sux much less. I honestly look forward to my training sessions and have been even riding inside on nice days. Zwift works best with a Smart Trainer and the workouts are really nice. You can even make your own custom workouts. I have a Vortex Smart and a Computrainer and have been mostly using the Vortex. I also have 2 Powertap G3s gathering dust waiting for Spring.

2015-12-21 11:11 AM
in reply to: tedjohn

User image

, Massachusetts
Originally posted by tedjohn

For the record, I own neither a Power Meter or a Smart Trainer, but given the choice I would go with a Power Meter. With a PM, not only do you get the numbers from your regular outside rides, but there are a number of options for using it indoors (e.g.- Trainer Road). Last year, I did nearly all of my off season training on a traditional fluid trainer (not smart, used the virtual power via Trainer Road) and its had a huge impact on my cycling ever since. Would be nice though to have that Power Data when I get outside in the rest of the year.

^^ Same for me. I don't currently have either but I train indoors with Trainer Road and virtual power on an inexpensive dumb trainer. It has made a world of difference and the virtual power works fine for training purposes, but it would be nice to have the power data for road riding and racing. A smart trainer is way down my list after a PM, race wheels, new helmet, etc.
2015-12-21 8:38 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
I have both, but to echo the others if I had to chose between I would go with the powermeter over the smart trainer. My first power meter was a quarq, and for several years I swapped it back and forth between bikes - so long as you have the same BBs it really is just as easy as a rear wheel swap. Next I got a KICKR, and a couple of years later when I upgraded to a new TT bike I sprung for a second powermeter. If you go crank-based PM go with the shorter crank arms, and get refit. You won't notice the difference at all (it will probably actually be better).
2015-12-22 9:32 AM
in reply to: #5156992

User image

Expert
I'd go power meter over power trainer.

I've had a CompuTrainer since 2004. Used it lots and sold it recently. Compared to my two Quarqs the CT was within a few watts. I started using a Kickr last winter season a local bike shop that runs group workouts. Like many others found it 30 watts high. If you go to the Google Wattage group this is well documented for Kickrs.
Picked up a first Gen Kickr from a team mate this winter. With the current firmware it's comparible accuracy wise to my old CT and Quarqs. I like the modern interface of the Kickr over CT's. Also like the instant ready to go ability vs having to warm up the CT and tire. No slipping during big gear work is nice too. The CT does have a smoother and more road like feel. Think a great combination would be a Lemond Revolution Trainer and power meter (good feel and power).
I have a Stages power meter waiting for me to pick up that is going on my TT/Tri bike. Will be interesting to compare that to the Kickr and Quarqs.

I sold my CT for $400 to a junior on our bike team. If you can get a Kickr or CT for that price I'd jump on it. RacerMate is local to me and I had them replace the load generator and DIN cables before selling. Making the unit nearly new.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Smart Trainer vs Power Meter Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Power Meter or CycleOps Virtual Trainer

Started by Major BC
Views: 2428 Posts: 11

2013-02-02 8:39 AM AMayfield19

Power Meter vs. Star Trac Bikes

Started by Tri-Fire
Views: 1040 Posts: 2

2011-01-15 10:22 AM jgerbodegrant

Computrainer vs. Power meter

Started by pschriver
Views: 2367 Posts: 12

2009-11-25 9:26 PM AdventureBear

Value of a "trainer only" power meter?

Started by SAquavia
Views: 688 Posts: 2

2009-10-01 9:53 AM JorgeM

Power Meter (Power Tap) Basics

Started by jamesehatcher
Views: 1940 Posts: 10

2007-10-24 11:33 AM yaqui
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 28, 2011
author : juliapurr
comments : 0
Bored out of your mind or watching a movie? Amp it up on the bike trainer.

date : June 24, 2011
author : jasongootman
In part three, the coach answers questions on power meter workouts, threshold calculations and how strength training affects power.
date : May 5, 2011
In part two, you will learn several power meter workouts from race intensity, to aerobic and anaerobic workouts.

date : March 18, 2011
In part one, you will learn the fundamentals of power training and the benefits of training with a power meter.
date : November 5, 2010
author : FitWerx
Do you struggle to hold your power output indoors versus outdoors? The keys to this problem are due to lack of cooling and the flywheel effect.

date : April 19, 2009
Learn how a power meter can serve a role as a race-reconnaissance tool and to help in pacing so you don't go out too hard. Race power analysis included.
date : October 21, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
Training with a power meter will make sure that you are spending every minute on the bike effectively. Racing with a power meter will keep you humble and in your proper zones on race day.

date : April 1, 2008
author : sportfactory
comments : 1
How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.